Can't "make selection" for zoom

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Lee James

Can't "make selection" for zoom

Post by Lee James »

I am new to XnView but I can't seem to find a way to allow zooming by selection. I think this must be a bug.

In the keyboard options I change "Left Button" and "Right Button" to "Make selection", but when I hold down either button, I just get the hand tool which drags the picture.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Can't "make selection" for zoom

Post by xnview »

in view mode?
Pierre.
Lee James

Post by Lee James »

Yes in view mode.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

and with right button?
Pierre.
Lee James

Post by Lee James »

Yes, I've tried it with left button, right button, and both. I always get the "hand" icon which pans the image.

My settings are:

KEYBOARD
Space = Go to next picture
Cursor Left/Right = Scroll left/right
Cursor Up/Down = Scroll up/down

MOUSE
Left Button = Move picture
Right Button = Make selection
Mouse Wheel = Previous/Next file
Left Button use in selection = Zoom in

Scroll value = 10
Pressing ESC once quits XnView = Never

SWITCHING MODES
All three are set to "Browser <> Fullscreen | Viewer <> Fullscreen"
Lee James

Post by Lee James »

While I'm here (sorry, I didn't know where else to post this) I just wanted to say how impressed and happy I am with XnView. I really love this software!

For about 13 years I've been using ACDSee version 3.10, which was the best and fastest image viewer I was aware of though it always had many serious faults which I've kind of got used to over the years. I tried a few alternatives like Irfanview, but they were always really poor in comparison and I always came back to ACDSee 3.10.

Well recently I've just discovered XnView recently and I am so happy with it! It does everything ACDSee 3.10 did and more, offering a modern, functional experience that is also fast and un-bloated like classic ACDsee.

Thank you so much for this software! :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

try to rename your xnview.ini, very strange
Pierre.
Lee James

Post by Lee James »

OK Pierre, I have figured this out now and there does seem to be some bug here.

By renaming xnview.ini I was able to identify that this problem is caused by just one setting: "InFullscreen". (Options > General > Operations > Startup > "Mode when starting with a file".) This had been set to 2. With it set to 0 or 1, I can now select zoom.

But the select zoom will not work with this setting set to 2 ("Full screen - Browser"). I want my images to load full screen and toggle between full screen and the browser (I have no need for the other mode).

Perhaps you could revise all the options for "modes" because I think they are very confusing and hard to understand, I only got them to work by trial and error. The naming is confusing (is "viewer" mode the same as "edit" mode?) and also all these options are in two locations: Some are in "General > Operations > Startup" while some are in "Keyboard/Mouse > Switching modes". I would like to suggest that all these options (as well as "Pressing Esc once quits") are all brought together into one place so that the user can clearly see how the program will move between modes.

This is only a suggestion but here are the options I would recommend (default values in square brackets):

PROGRAM MODES

• Launch images in:
[Viewer], Full-screen, Browser

• Secondary mode:
Viewer, Full-screen, [Browser]

• Third mode (optional):
Viewer, Full-screen, Browser, [None]

KEYS

• Escape:
[Quit], Go to next mode

• ENTER:
[Go to next mode], Do nothing

• Double click:

• Middle click:

I think something like this would be a much less confusing way of doing it IMHO.
Lee James

Post by Lee James »

Just wanted to report that I have downloaded the latest version and I still have this bug.

I can't select an area to zoom with the right mouse button. The right button just does exactly the same thing as the left and brings up the "pan" hand. Please could you fix this as I love your software but not being able to select a custom zoom level is irritating. Thanks! :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Lee James wrote:Just wanted to report that I have downloaded the latest version and I still have this bug.

I can't select an area to zoom with the right mouse button. The right button just does exactly the same thing as the left and brings up the "pan" hand. Please could you fix this as I love your software but not being able to select a custom zoom level is irritating. Thanks! :)
but you have not fixed the problem in the .ini?
Pierre.
Lee James

Post by Lee James »

xnview wrote:but you have not fixed the problem in the .ini?
Changing the ini is a cheat, but it doesn't really fix the bug or solve the problem.

If I change "Mode when starting with a file" to 0 or 1, the select zoom will mysteriously work. But I don't want this setting set to 0 or 1, I want it set to 2. Can't this bug just be fixed?
Lee James

Post by Lee James »

Sorry, the setting I was talking about is "InFullscreen". If I change that to 0 or 1 then select zoom works, but then the program doesn't go into thumbnail when you press enter.

Also, even when the select zoom works, it is buggy. Sometimes it zooms to the area you select, but usually it zooms to a larger area. I would really appreciate it if you could look at fixing this bug, thanks. :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Lee James wrote:Sorry, the setting I was talking about is "InFullscreen". If I change that to 0 or 1 then select zoom works, but then the program doesn't go into thumbnail when you press enter.

Also, even when the select zoom works, it is buggy. Sometimes it zooms to the area you select, but usually it zooms to a larger area. I would really appreciate it if you could look at fixing this bug, thanks. :)
ok, in this fullscreen mode there is no selection...
Pierre.
Lee James

Post by Lee James »

Do you think you can try to fix this, or is this just something I will have to live with?

Also, even when the zoom works, it doesn't work properly. It doesn't zoom precisely to the selected area, it zooms wider than the selected are.