XnView Minimal, Standard, or Extended ? What is XnView MP?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ng4ever

XnView Minimal, Standard, or Extended ? What is XnView MP?

Post by ng4ever »

I can't decide what version of XnView to use? Please help. Thanks. Also what is XnView MP ?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: XnView Minimal, Standard, or Extended ? What is XnView M

Post by cday »

ng4ever wrote:I can't decide what version of XnView to use? Please help. Thanks. Also what is XnView MP ?
XnView MP (Multi-Platform) is the new version of XnView (now named XnView 'Classic'), which is cross-platform Windows/Mac/Linux, with Unicode support for filenames and also available in 64-bit versions.

XnView MP is the future of XnView, has an attractive new interface and now has an almost complete function set, so it might be simplest to try that first...
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

XnView Classic:
ng4ever

Post by ng4ever »

I went with IrfanView for now but convince me to go to XnView or XnView MP please!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

ng4ever wrote:I went with IrfanView for now but convince me to go to XnView or XnView MP please!
Well, XnView programs have a Levels adjustment, which is à very useful function, for a start... :D
ng4ever

Post by ng4ever »

cday wrote:
ng4ever wrote:I went with IrfanView for now but convince me to go to XnView or XnView MP please!
Well, XnView programs have a Levels adjustment, which is à very useful function, for a start... :D
What does that mean please ?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

A Levels adjustment is similar to brightness and contrast, but gives you much more control over the tonal range: it is one of the most powerful and simple photo editing tools. Open an image and use the 'L' keyboard shortcut:

1.png
1.png (15.16 KiB) Viewed 6700 times
But what do you wish to use an image editing program for?
ng4ever

Post by ng4ever »

Just to look at my pictures.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

ng4ever wrote:Just to look at my pictures.
Do you need anything more than the default photo viewer in your version of Windows, then?
ng4ever

Post by ng4ever »

cday wrote:
ng4ever wrote:Just to look at my pictures.
Do you need anything more than the default photo viewer in your version of Windows, then?
Not really I just don't like the default one. I may want to resize and change picture extension as well but that is about it.
helmut

Post by helmut »

The difference of XnView and IrfanView is not so much the functionality, it's mainly the user interface:
Please try out and compare XnView's browser and IrfanView's browser and you'll see: The user interface of XnView is much like Windows Explorer; clean, intuitive, and easy to use. IrfanView's "browser" is more like a special dialog or add-on which allows for working with multiple files but which isn't integrated well in the rest of the program.

Therefore I'd say: If you want a program for viewing single images, only, then IrfanView does its job as good as XnView. For both viewing single images and handling and managing multiple images, you better use XnView.
omniplex

Post by omniplex »

XnTriq wrote:
  • Minimal
  • Standard
  • NConvert: No
  • Shell Extension: No
  • Complete
  • NConvert: Yes
  • Shell Extension: Yes
  • Plug-ins: All
Some caveats: No boils down to "can be downloaded separately" as NConvert 32bits (x86) or 64bits (x64), as Shell Extension 32bits (x86 only) or 64 bits (x64 only).

Likewise any classic AddOn or Plugin can be downloaded separately. Yes boils down to NConvert 32bits (x86) and Shell Extension 32bits (x86 only), i.e., you need a separately downloaded Shell Extension 64bits (x64 only) on a 64bits Windows.

Finally All means "almost all", the new FLIF thingy isn't included in the complete 2.36, the new 2.36 SVG feature is still unclear (for me), and I fear (please correct me) that BPG works only on 64bits platforms.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

omniplex wrote:No boils down to "can be downloaded separately" as NConvert 32bits (x86) or 64bits (x64), as Shell Extension 32bits (x86 only) or 64 bits (x64 only).
Thanks for the hint, omniplex! I've updated the wiki page accordingly.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

omniplex wrote:Finally All means "almost all", the new FLIF thingy isn't included in the complete 2.36
On the same page, where *do* I get XnView's FLIF thingy in the latestest and greatestest version?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Marsu42 wrote:On the same page, where *do* I get XnView's FLIF thingy in the latestest and greatestest version?
FYI: libflif.dll in http://download.xnview.com/XnViewMP-win.zip (v0.83) and http://www.xnview.com/download/plugins/flif.zip are identical (2'065'920 bytes).
omniplex ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=131941#p131941]Addons -> PNGOUT[/url]) wrote:Ob on topic, the FLIF plugin is not contained in the XnView 2.36 full ZIP, it's a separate download. It's not listed as an installed plugin, but shows up in "supported formats" directly after FIT.