MP 0.81 (Ubuntu): Problems with thumbnails in browser

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

David4321

MP 0.81 (Ubuntu): Problems with thumbnails in browser

Post by David4321 »

I'm running your current update: MP .81, on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Whatever folder I open the program into, the thumbnails are mis-associated. The ones that display are from other folders entirely. Not even necessarily all from the same wrong folder, though mostly, but with some randomness. When I actually select one of those thumbnails, the preview in the browser shows the correct file. The right file will open if clicked, but the browser is almost useless in this condition. I have tried rebuilding the thumbnails, and this worked, but quickly reverted after the program was reopened.

Thanks!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Problems with thumbnails in browser

Post by xnview »

strange, do you use 'base path folder' setting?
Pierre.
David4321

Post by David4321 »

I don't know what the base path setting is, I normally use the setting "for Save As use original path name", but why would that affect this except for a bug. Anyway, this is still going on. I just updated to MP 0.82 x64, no change. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

When I open from a file it invariably corrupts the thumbs in that folder, which then display as random. Doesn't affect other folders, if I switch folders in the browser I'm seeing correct thumbs. Go back to original folder and they are the same wrong thumbs. If I open from icon into a corrupted folder, I'm seeing same wrong thumbs, if I open into a good folder, seeing correct thumbs.

New info: This seems to only happen when I open from a file, with a saved session in queue. The whole session of saved tabs opens as it should, with the file clicked in the far right tab. This is when the folder of the clicked file gets corrupted thumbs. If there are no saved tabs, and I open by clicking a file, the single file opens, and the thumbs are not corrupted.

Also, when there is a saved session of tabs, and it has been opened in this way, then the same whole tab group continues to open in each new window opened from a file. This seems a bug too, should not do this once a tab group is re-opened. Only by closing all windows and declining to save tabs is queue cleared.

FEATURE REQUEST: would be really great to be able to save tab groups of images like bookmarks in a browser can. This would be much more useful than the current feature. And the development would clear up these bugs, it's sometimes hard to remember if I've saved a tab group, and the impulse is always just to open from a file I want to view. I never open from icon except for testing.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

do you have tried with a clean xnview.ini?
Pierre.
David4321

Post by David4321 »

I'm on a fresh install, would that do it?
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

David4321 wrote:I'm on a fresh install, would that do it?
Hi:
Sometimes Not
Go to Help>> About.

See where .ini file is at, Rename it or delete it. This will force MP to create a new on on next starup..
David4321

Post by David4321 »

Did that. Wiped my settings, but no change in behavior. In fact, now I can confirm that it's corrupting the thumbs in the folder of the file I open from, even when no saved tabs are in queue.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you start XnViewMP with a filename, and thumbnails will be corrupted?
Pierre.
David4321

Post by David4321 »

Yes, it's inconsistent, but happens most of the time.

While we're at it here's another odd bug that keeps coming up: When I have settings open, and go into background color dialog, then select and copy the hexidecimal value, the whole thing freezes up. Settings and select color dialog look normal, browser underneath is greyed out, and nothing is active. Cannot click ok or cancel. Usually have to force quit to get out of that. As soon as value is selected (orange), it all freezes up. If I wait a long time it will let me X out of select color dialog, then requests xnview restart. This is just fyi, thumbnails are the main concern.
fractl

Post by fractl »

I too have had this exact problem for ages - it has not improved over multiple releases of XNViewMP - and I have never figured out what triggers it. I am also an Ubuntu user (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) and I used to think that it was due to my files being stored on a remote server. However, I have had occasion to deal with locally stored files recently and have noticed it happening here too.

Having read David4321's posts, I have started using Rebuild Thumbnails more frequently to see if I can isolate what triggers it. I can't get it to happen repeatably opening from a file although it does happen sometimes. (I don't use tabs at all, and have disabled them in View | Tabs to reclaim some screen real estate.)

I have just done a Batch Convert, changing about 15 JPGs to PDF format and saving them in the Source folder. I then spotted that as the XNViewMP browser was updating the PDF icons to thumbnails, suddenly one file in the middle of the sequence got a random thumbnail (from a photo on a different drive), while all the others were correct.

I'd previously assumed that something I was doing was corrupting the thumbnails.db file (which is currently 903MB in size), but it doesn't seem to be as random as that. It's always folders that I've been working with that get corrupted, not ones that were fine before, that I haven't looked at for ages.

I'd welcome any ideas on how to avoid this happening as it does reduce the usefulness of the browser.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

David4321 wrote: New info: This seems to only happen when I open from a file, with a saved session in queue. The whole session of saved tabs opens as it should, with the file clicked in the far right tab. This is when the folder of the clicked file gets corrupted thumbs. If there are no saved tabs, and I open by clicking a file, the single file opens, and the thumbs are not corrupted.
could you try with a clean .ini and .db, and tell me if the thumbs are corrupted? Your session contains browser + how many view tabs?
Also, when there is a saved session of tabs, and it has been opened in this way, then the same whole tab group continues to open in each new window opened from a file. This seems a bug too, should not do this once a tab group is re-opened. Only by closing all windows and declining to save tabs is queue cleared.
Do you use 'Only one instance of program'?
Pierre.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

fractl wrote: (I don't use tabs at all, and have disabled them in View | Tabs to reclaim some screen real estate.)
Hi:

I Just wanted to add,
I don't think this option disables Tabs, But instead just hides them. They can still be their running.

You need to limit them by going to.. Options>> Interface>> Tabs>> Max view of tabs. x1
David4321

Re: MP 0.81 (Ubuntu): Problems with thumbnails in browser

Post by David4321 »

I'm picking this thread back up, the issue persists, and I'm tearing my hair out.

* Most times when I open XnView from a file, thumbs in that folder are corrupted.
* Corruption consists of substitution of many thumbs in that folder with thumbs from random other folders, often all from one or two other folders, often from folders that have recently had files opened in browser.
* I usually use only one instance of program at a time. Occasionally two or three, but there doesn't seem to be a correlation. Corruption happens with first instance of program opened by clicking a file.
* I do use many tabs open at a time, this is a primary need and reason for choosing XnView. Seems about 16 tabs can fit across screen width without hiding any, so I try to limit it to about this number or not much more.
* I'm now using XnView MP Linux Version 0.86 64bits (Apr 25 2017) on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
* Nothing seems to help once they're corrupted except rebuilding the entire thumb db. This can take hours, and I just have to do it periodically. Operation uses gobs of ram, and gums everything up when I have to. (It might even help to have access to a command to rebuild thumbs per folder.)

Help... :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

David4321 wrote:I'm picking this thread back up, the issue persists, and I'm tearing my hair out.
You have always the corruption by opening XnViewMP with a file?
Pierre.
David4321

Post by David4321 »

Is this significant? I can't say that every time I open from a file this happens. I said "many times" this happens. Very often. I Can say that the corruption of thumb associations only happens when I have opened from a file, never otherwise.