Thumbnail Preview for Vector and PDF-Format?

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

M-B

Thumbnail Preview for Vector and PDF-Format?

Post by M-B »

XnView isn't only a good picture viewer, I found it much better as Finder for managing and sort folders. But there is only one Problem, Finder shows a thumbnail Preview from all file-formats. I really miss a icon preview for vector and pdf-files. As you can see on this Screenshot it isn't possible to sort these files blind. SVG e.g. didn't even have a icon in XnView.
Would be fine, if XnView supports more important formats.
If you need the original files from my screenshot, you can download it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwsjN ... mhSdktwSmM.
Finder-XnViewPreview.jpg
Finder-XnViewPreview.jpg (64.47 KiB) Viewed 4464 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Thumbnail Preview for Vector and PDF-Format?

Post by xnview »

Thanks and you need to install Ghostscript, see topic "How to display vector formats like PDF, AI,...? GhostScript!".
Pierre.
M-B

Post by M-B »

xnview wrote:Thanks and you need to install Ghostscript, see topic "How to display vector formats like PDF, AI,...? GhostScript!".
Thank You, but this is only for Win and Linux, not for OSX as I see.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

M-B wrote:
xnview wrote:Thanks and you need to install Ghostscript, see topic "How to display vector formats like PDF, AI,...? GhostScript!".
no you can install it too
Pierre.
M-B

Post by M-B »

xnview wrote:
M-B wrote:
no you can install it too
Thx, but I do not really understand what I have to do there, that is too complicated for me. This is going deeply into the system and I found nothing helpful when I google Ghostscript and macOS Sierra. I'd better leave my fingers off before I shred my system. ; )
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Pierre.
M-B

Post by M-B »

xnview wrote:you have here a ghostscript package
Thank You for this link, now it was easy to install! : )
Is it possible that you add the Affinity Designer Thumbnail Preview, as you did it with Affinity Photo in your last release? It would be great! Beside Affinity Photo this is my most used file format.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

M-B wrote:
Is it possible that you add the Affinity Designer Thumbnail Preview, as you did it with Affinity Photo in your last release? It would be great! Beside Affinity Photo this is my most used file format.
could you send me a sample file?
Pierre.
M-B

Post by M-B »

xnview wrote:
M-B wrote:
could you send me a sample file?
The File is in the link from my first post: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwsjN ... mhSdktwSmM
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See Issue 1004 for details.
Pierre.
M-B

Post by M-B »

xnview wrote:See Issue 1004 for details.
Thank You very much! : )
samirala

Post by samirala »

Hello Pierre,
yesterday I switched from XnView Portable to XnViewMP portable and unfortunately I can't see pdf thumbnails in the MP Version, but it did worked flawlessly in the XnView Version.
I reinstalled Ghostscript 9.20 portable from portableapps.com but I still get no pdf thumbnails.
I don't know how to proceed now...
How can I "tell" to XnViewMP that Ghostscript is installed ? Or Redirect it somehow to the Ghostscript Installation Folder ?
Should I install another Ghostscript version ?
Thanks for four help!
Martin
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

samirala wrote: I reinstalled Ghostscript 9.20 portable from portableapps.com but I still get no pdf thumbnails.
I don't know how to proceed now...
How can I "tell" to XnViewMP that Ghostscript is installed ? Or Redirect it somehow to the Ghostscript Installation Folder ?
Should I install another Ghostscript version ?
Do you have the good version, if you use XnViewMP x64 you need GS x64
Pierre.
samirala

Post by samirala »

Yes ist all 32bit, the strange thing ist that XnView displays pdf thumbnails and XnViewMP not...
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

samirala wrote:Yes it's all 32bit, the strange thing is that XnView [Classic] displays pdf thumbnails and XnViewMP not...
Are you using the standard XnView Classic download, or the PortableApps version?

Some time back I asked if it would be possible to make the standard XnView Classic ZIP version portable with PDF reading support, but as Ghostscript is only available as an installer, and XnView software locates it when required using the environmental variable created when it is installed, that currently isn't possible. A change to XnView Classic to access the relevant Ghostscript files placed in the XnView plug-ins folder didn't work. :(

It is evidently possible to use the PortableApps Ghostscript version to add PDF reading support to XnView, but I'm not clear whether that is using the standard XnView download, or only with the PortableApps XnView version. In the latter case, a PortableApps version of XnView MP would presumably be required, if it exists...