One Rename To Rule Them All

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

dvdflow

One Rename To Rule Them All

Post by dvdflow »

Hello,
When using XnConvert to batch resize a set of files in a folder>subfolder>file situation, is it possible to batch rename the files, with a single naming/numbering convention, in a way that respects structural integrity?

If I use Filename Image ### - then Image 001, Image 002, and Image 003 may well appear in three different folders. Each file will have a discrete name but the folder>subfolder>file structure will be disregarded.

If I use Filename Image $$$ - then Image 001, Image 002, and Image 003 will be sequential within a particular folder but the names will not be discrete. The same names without differentiation will appear in every folder.

{Directory}# or {Filename Number} will produce discrete (albeit possibly long and unwieldy) names, but not a singular naming scheme.

I guess another approach would be to ask - is there a way to load source files in a folder>subfolder>file situation in a way that respects the folder structure?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: One Rename To Rule Them All

Post by xnview »

do you use 'Keep folder structure'?
Pierre.
dvdflow

Post by dvdflow »

Yep, I do have 'Keep Folder Structure' Selected.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dvdflow wrote:Yep, I do have 'Keep Folder Structure' Selected.
could you post a screenshot of Status window to show the problem, please?
Pierre.
dvdflow

Post by dvdflow »

Image Image Image Image Image Image

I created a simple example and took a few screenshots, I even included the screenshot that you asked for (exclamation point!), along with the views that you didn't want.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ok, thanks. So you would like that output folder are sorted before to process? (All Strart 1 files, All Strat 2 files, ..)?
Pierre.
dvdflow

Post by dvdflow »

xnview wrote:ok, thanks. So you would like that output folder are sorted before to process? (All Strart 1 files, All Strat 2 files, ..)?
Yes, exactly. i have figured out that I can use the Krename program to rename and then Xnconvert to convert. I'm just a bit lazy and was hoping for a one program solution.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dvdflow wrote:
xnview wrote:ok, thanks. So you would like that output folder are sorted before to process? (All Strart 1 files, All Strat 2 files, ..)?
Yes, exactly. i have figured out that I can use the Krename program to rename and then Xnconvert to convert. I'm just a bit lazy and was hoping for a one program solution.
if you sort by folder in Input tab?
Pierre.
dvdflow

Post by dvdflow »

if you sort by folder in Input tab?
Sorting by folder in the Input tab sounds like exactly what I want to do, however I haven't been able to locate that option. Is that option avaliable?

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

grow the dialog to have 'Folder' in header
Pierre.
dvdflow

Post by dvdflow »

O.K. I right clicked on the sorting options bar, disabled all the options except for folder. Now the only options shown are name and folder and the program does exactly what I want it to.

Thank You Pierre! This is so cool. I've gone from loving this program to loving it a lot.