Pan with mouse doesn't allow to see the entire picture

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

thibaud

Pan with mouse doesn't allow to see the entire picture

Post by thibaud »

this is directly related to this post.
I'm voicing it here because this shortcoming is particularly annoying, and could be considered a "bug".
the only changes I made to default install is assigning the left mouse button to "move picture".

When the viewer fit mode is set to "large only" a left click zoom the picture to 100% (which is great).
Now when moving the mouse with the left button still pressed I can simply pan the picture to examine it a 100%.
this is a great workflow, you navigate with the scroll wheel between picture see them entirely and simply press the mouse to zoom at 100% and pan arround

BUT, the problem with the way the "move picture" works with the mouse input is that in many cases you can't pan to the edges of the picture.
that is when the pictures boundaries expanding outside the window is beyond the distance you can make with your mouse.
the solution would be to implement a translation of the picture that would be linked to the relative position of the mouse to the window.
ie: when the pointer is in the top left window corner you'd have the top left corner of the picture there to (or bottom right picture in the bottom right window corner - if you're into inverse moves)
would you consider implementing such a feature ?

thanks a lot.

Thibaud
thibaud

Re: Pan with mouse doesn't allow to see the entire picture

Post by thibaud »

Logged in to make this request again.
not being able to pan the entire picture is a major issue for me.
would you provide a fix at some point ?
helmut

Post by helmut »

I just read through your text and found that this is not a bug report but a suggestion, right?

Your idea sounds good but I guess it needs more thinking and discussing:
What happens if the users zooms into a large image (e.g. a 2000 x 1000 pixel, 800% zoom) and then tries to drag the image just a view pixels? Perhaps this special pan mode could be activate when pressing Ctrl (or similar)?
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

helmut wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:01 pm Your idea sounds good but I guess it needs more thinking and discussing:
What happens if the users zooms into a large image (e.g. a 2000 x 1000 pixel, 800% zoom) and then tries to drag the image just a view pixels? Perhaps this special pan mode could be activate when pressing Ctrl (or similar)?
I believe you misunderstood the suggestion, you can't be at 800% zoom.
Image that have been zoomed out to fit the view are always restored to 100% when left clicking.
Admittedly in my proposition a 1 pixel mouse move in that condition does not equal a 1 pixel translation of the image, yet even when working with extremely large images this is not an issue.

Right now it is still impossible to view the entire image when engaging this 100% mode view.
every few new release I try it out... and cry :(
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

thibaud wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:25 pm
Right now it is still impossible to view the entire image when engaging this 100% mode view.
every few new release I try it out... and cry :(
how do you reproduce?
Pierre.
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

I'll reply in french to make it easier ;)
Bonjour Pierre :)
le problème actuel est que lorsque'on visionne en full screen une image de résolution supérieure a la l'écran, la fonction "pan with zoom" qui affiche et permet de déplacer l'image en 100% lors du click gauche, ne permet pas toujours (de par son fonctionnement) de déplacer l'image entièrement jusqu'a chaque extrémité haut/bas, gauche/droite sans devoir re-cliquer après avoir repositionné la position de la souris.

La solution que je proposerait, serais d'implémenter soit un déplacement proportionnel:
souris en bas a droite de l'écran = coin inférieur droit de l'image image aligné en bas a droite
souris en haut a gauche de l'écran = coin supérieur gauche de l'image aligné en haut a gauche
soit un déplacement continu mais qui s'étend au de la de la resolution de l'écran (pas sur que ce soit possible)