"WindowsExplorer" thumbnails in XnView

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

tboy

"WindowsExplorer" thumbnails in XnView

Post by tboy »

Some Files have thumbnails in Windows Explorer but not in XnView. For example Corel Painter, Krita, ClipStudio paint. Usualy these have own installation for thumbnail preview.
Is it possible XnView to display explorer thumbnails for these files.
(I remember ThumbsPlus has an option to choose filestypes that will be presented by explorer thumbnails.)
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: "WindowsExplorer" thumbnails in XnView

Post by XnTriq »

1. Go to Tools » Options... » File List » File List.
  2. Add the filename extensions for Corel Painter (RIF), Krita (KRA) as well as Clip Studio Paint (CLIP and LIP) to the second Custom files list.
  3. Activate the checkbox for Show item in view 'Thumbnails' for these Custom files to tell XnView's browser not to hide them.
Related info:
xnview ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=124824#p124824]Support for 3rd-party shell thumbnail handler extensions[/url]) wrote:if format is not recognized, 3rd party shell thumbnail extension must be used... Perhaps a problem with only pdf extension...
XnTriq ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=124810#p124810]How to Read .ttf?[/url]) wrote:
There's are workaround for enabling XnView's browser to display thumbnails of fonts:
  1. Download and install FontNail.
  2. Add the filename extensions for TrueType (TTF), OpenType (OTF) and Type 1 (PFB/PFM) fonts to the list of Custom files (Tools » Options... » File List » File List) not to be hidden in thumbnail view.
tboy

Post by tboy »

Did you test what you suggest ?
It is not working, at least for me. I use latest XnView Portable on W8.1 64 bit.
There are lot of files with thumbnails in Explorer but not in xnView.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

tboy wrote:Did you test what you suggest ?
You bet I did. GhostScript isn't installed on my system but XnView's browser displays the thumbnails generated by PDF-XChange's shell extention. XnView doesn't support fonts but picks up the thumbnails from FontNail.
tboy wrote:I use latest XnView Portable on W8.1 64 bit.
Are you talking about the version from PortableApps.com?
tboy

Post by tboy »

I tested latest version from PortableApps.com, installed version of xnView-standard and I can not see thumbnails of Corel Painter (RIF), Krita (KRA) as well as Clip Studio Paint (CLIP and LIP) in xnView although I see these thumbnails in WExplorer. (again - i am on W8.1 64-bit if this matters). I'm not talking about fonts.
I think there must be an option inside xnView to use Windows Thumbnails for chosen file types (if possible).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

By default it use thumbnails from Windows Explorer, could you try XnView MP 64bits, and tell me if it's the same problem?
Pierre.
tboy

Post by tboy »

I made a lot of tests
on Windows8.1-64bit and Windows10-64bit (after full update to the latest build)
both with installed and portable versions of xnView and xnViewMP-64bit.
Windows thumbnails are not seen for most of the files.
I'm attaching Krita shell extension- it has 32 and 64bit dlls - thumbnails are NOT visible in xnViewMP-64. Same for DjVu, ClipStudioPaint and lot other (all these have Explorer thumbnails).
SkethchUp, CorelPainter, Autocad - all have own shell extensions too, but thumbnails are visible in XnViewMP-64.

(this post is only for thumbnails for specific files - there are no problems with traditional picture files and thumbnails in xnView/MP 64bit)
Attachments
kritashellex-1.1.0.2-setup.rar
kritashellex-1.1.0.2-setup
(547.5 KiB) Downloaded 105 times