0.83: File tree: Refresh problem, Multi-select

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Octopuss

0.83: File tree: Refresh problem, Multi-select

Post by Octopuss »

1) Hitting F5 doesn't refresh folder structure (and for example new folders don't get sorted, and instead remain at the bottom). For the record, clicking on refresh in the view menu doesn't do anything either.
2) It's impossible to select more than one folder, making moving folders around pretty annoying.
helmut

Re: 0.83: File tree: Refresh problem, Multi-select

Post by helmut »

Octopuss wrote:1) Hitting F5 doesn't refresh folder structure (and for example new folders don't get sorted, and instead remain at the bottom). For the record, clicking on refresh in the view menu doesn't do anything either.
I assume you mean the folder tree. Did you change the folder structure using XnView?
Octopuss wrote:.. 2) It's impossible to select more than one folder, making moving folders around pretty annoying.
If you want to move several folders around, you can select multiple folders on the same level in the file list on the right.
Please note that even Windows Explorer (which is a file manager) does not support multi-selection in folder tree.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

I think that we should have there 'Refresh files pane'...
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hi:

I'm pretty sure these issues are fixed in v0.85 beta

1. Folder Tree will auto refresh for renamed folders. -Fixed ---No multi select, same as win explorer
2. Browser window will refresh when you press sort button. -Fixed

3. Browser allows for multi select and move since v0.80 or so

If/when you have a beta, you can test. It seems to work for me.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

Please note that even Windows Explorer (which is a file manager) does not support multi-selection in folder tree.
NO file manager has multi-select in folder tree because this is a dangerous logical bug: which folder is the displayed one in the files/thumbs pane? There should be a clear connection between the two.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
helmut

Post by helmut »

re 1.) According to Erixx Haxx, the refresh problem is fixed in 0.85. So let's wait for the 0.85 beta and do retesting then.

re 2.) We all agree that "Multiselect" is a feature request which cannot (and must not) fullfilled due to the implications and problems.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.85 beta 1. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

To be honest I'm not quite sure what the bug fix was.
I've created new folders and changed the folder names inside and outside XnView. Refresh was always right away both in 0.84 and 0.85 beta 1. In 0.85 the sorting in the folder tree now works, so this has been really fixed.

From what I can see this problem is fixed.
:arrow: Tested - Fixed

What is still irritating:
After an external folder rename (e.g. using Windows Explroer) XnView will refresh the file list and select the renamed folder. This is irritating and the user might loose his/her selection. I'll post a new bug report for this.