Quick save as ususal types

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Clo
XnThusiast

Quick save as ususal types

Post by Clo »

:D Hello All !

- This request has been presented first in the French Forum, but the user “Ouistiti” proposed an improvement, so I wished to publish it here, also to make it understandable for the most members :wink:

• I've often to save pictures alternatively as, let's say, BMP and PNG. I mean : I save these pictures (a lot) one by one as each type, because it's inconvenient to perform a batch conversion for some reasons…
- For each saving, I ought choose again the type in that awful combobox which contains a mountain of types (although it's fine, thanks Pierre !).
- The snag is that choosing a type in this list isn't handy; even typing the initial character doesn't help : i.e. PNG is the 14 th. type beginning with «P» :(

- Of course, it's ever possible to fire the most “exotic” types from the list in the Options. But that doesn't the trick, because whether you'ld need one once, you'ld have to rummage in the Options in order to restore it in the list…

• Hence, I thought (ages ago) to some small preset buttons on the dialogue, like you can see below :

——————————— Image

• There are two customizable buttons which are the Paul-“Ouistiti”'s contribution.
- Each button has its small field to enter a supported file-type for it. The «Apply» button should allow to enable the type of its button on the spot, and to use it immediately without a restart.
- Indeed, we could have a single customizable button, and *.ICO hard-coded, for instance, or anything in the same painting, this thread is indeed here to gather your opinions :)

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Hello Claude,

As I mentionned in the French forum, I use Options>Write>FileTypes to limit the proposed formats when writing/converting. It is very useful...
However, you are right: it can be quite frustrating when you happen to use formats not in the list... and most people may not like this limitation, and will avoid using this feature at all.

Therefore, here is a suggestion that may meet your needs, would probably be easier to implement and more flexible:
-> Add a checkbox "Show All" near the droplist, that would temporary show all the file types (it could be used in the Save + Convert windows as well).

You would then be able to limit the droplist to the file types you use the most (in a very flexible way), and still easily access more exotic formats when needed. Moreover, it is just the continuation of an already implemented feature.

What's your opinion ?

Olivier
Clo
XnThusiast

Not so simple…

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Olivier_G

:) Hello !

• Indeed, your idea is better than the current behaviour, but you'ld have to use the combobox still, that I wish to avoid.
- Anyway, using a button - especially with its hotkey - is faster and handier, IMHO.
- Besides, the Paul's idea for one or two “wildcard” button(s) is great !
- This should allow to add immediately any extra-type, without any need to fill the list again to find out that extra-type into…

- About programming, it's not sure that a limited / full list display be simpler…

• For the same handlings, there is also the issue of the target-folder which must be changed alternatively too… When one is located in another drive via the network, or at a very deep tree-level, it's pretty long and irritating, and to remake for each saving too…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I like both ideas here, I think this would be better and easier to implement:
:arrow: Add a checkbox "Show All" near the droplist, that would temporary show all the file types
Here is another idea:

"quick search" in the droplist doesn't work same as "quick search" in the browser, you can search just first letter here (e.g. when you type P N G, you get GIF instead of PNG), so I suggest:

:arrow: Allow "full quick search" in the droplist

It would be easy to use (and also easy to implement), you could press just <Tab>, 3 letters (e.g. P N G) and <Enter>.
Clo
XnThusiast

The whole idea…

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Dreamer

- Thank you for that reply!

- Most certainly, some users could prefer another way than the proposed buttons…Hence, such a stuff could be optional, and displayed or not following the needs. It could be added to the “General” Option page like :

————————————————— Image

- Moreover, I wished also to show the whole idea which should include an indispensable second alternative path :

————————————————— Image

• Unfortunately, Windows (98 SE at least) doesn't allow to copy a path in the “Save as…” normal address-bar, while it's possible elsewhere…A right-click here provides a very useful «What is it ?» message :evil:

- Not a big deal, though, since a button could do the job, or the second path could be got from T.C. or similar, then pasted here.

{ Aside : modestly, I guess this is a good idea which could add a pretty feature, missing in all programs I know… I'ld bet that some competitor is spying that forum, and I fear that such ideas be stolen if not applied… :( }

Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Re: The whole idea&#8230;

Post by Olivier_G »

Clo wrote:Moreover, I wished also to show the whole idea which should include an indispensable second alternative path
Another alternative solution from me... :mrgreen: :
Why not just add the 'Favourite Button' already used in the small toobar above the File area ?
-> You would be able to use your regular favorites (not just one alternative) and manage them directly there if needed.
I'ld bet that some competitor is spying that forum, and I fear that such ideas be stollen if not applied…
I think that describing precisely an idea in public (ie: from a University publication... or an open-access forum like this one) would prevent anyone (except - maybe - the original author) to patent a similar idea or "steal" it.

Olivier
Clo
XnThusiast

Not in the browser

Post by Clo »

- The handlings I've to make do not use the browser, all are made in the main “View” window necessarily…
- And the folders with which I've to work are not - for the most - favourite picture-folders (like containing photos or so) but rather directories where I build Help manuals, and others where I save the BMP-sources (very useful), sometimes in another drive / workstation via the network…

¤ The point is not patents, since fortunately we will not have such craps for a while still… I meant that nothing prevents any author of a similar soft to pick up ideas here, then to apply them to his own program -without any trouble to fear- since this is not used yet in a registered / ©ed program…
¤ I suffered identical annoyances all along my life, hence I became a bit distrustful…
:wink:

:mrgreen: K R
Claude
Clo
helmut

Post by helmut »

I don't like the "Quick Save" approach with extra buttons. It's not good GUI design (=simple and clear).

Rather than adding things (buttons, ...), we should try to make existing things simpler and work well:

Most people use just a bunch of graphic formats, so the drop down list for formats should be short, anyway, see also discussion in topic "Most common" file types. If a format is missing, the user can open the options dialog and add it.

So at the moment I think it is most important to reduce the list of "Most common used file types" and make it default. Then we should see whether further action is needed.
Clo
XnThusiast

NO LIST !

Post by Clo »

• Hi !
- Not any list, as so reduced as it could be is able to replace buttons in the jobs I have to make.
- Please, read this whole thread (again ?) to catch what the proposals are really…

- The list doesn't improve the handling for me, and what about a second alternative path to save, very useful ?

- Whether another program should adopt this (even stolen here), I'll use it certainly for these tasks, because XnView and the damn list (long or shorten) is not suitable at all…

:mrgreen: G
Claude
Clo
ouistiti

Post by ouistiti »

I don't like the "Quick Save" approach with extra buttons. It's not good GUI design (=simple and clear).
- For me, buttons are simple and clear, and much more handy than a combobox in the case.
- Sorry, to get simpler, we need the softwares working via telepathy, this doesn't exist yet, AFAIK :D
Most people use just a bunch of graphic formats, so the drop down list for formats should be short
- That'll not help a lot here, and cannot solve the problem of a needed different second output folder…
If a format is missing, the user can open the options dialog and add it.
… while with the idea I added to the original Clo's proposal, you could get it immediately "on the spot" with a "wildcard" button !
- No need to leave the current job, open the options etc., a pretty wasted time, I guess…
So at the moment I think it is most important to reduce the list of "Most common used file types" and make it default.
- This is not a big deal… and'll not be an advantageous addition…

Paul
L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

I don't like the buttons GUI either.

So far, the solution I prefer is:
- limited filetype list (as suggested in the other thread, cf: Helmut)
- a single CheckBox to temporary allow all filetype in the list
- allow full quick search in the droplist (cf: Dreamer)
- inlude the Favorite button used in 'mini toolbar' for folders (a different issue, though)

Olivier
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Olivier_G wrote:I don't like the buttons GUI either.

So far, the solution I prefer is:
- limited filetype list (as suggested in the other thread, cf: Helmut)
- a single CheckBox to temporary allow all filetype in the list
- allow full quick search in the droplist (cf: Dreamer)
- inlude the Favorite button used in 'mini toolbar' for folders (a different issue, though)
Yes and maybe - add "bmp, gif, jpg, png, tif" first and then other formats...

So NOT like this:
a
b (bmp)
c
d
e
f
g (gif)
h

But like this:
bmp
gif
jpg
png
tif
-
a
b
c
d
Clo
XnThusiast

You are off topic

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Olivier_G & Dreamer

:) Hello,

- I have launched that thread about a very old suggestion I sent to Pierre ages ago, and for a very specific saving with buttons, as optional, not with anything else.

- Maybe do you not like this idea, but changing the types list or so is off topic, there's another thread for that…

:mrgreen: R
Claude
Clo
Irving

Post by Irving »

I like the idea of this box, with the types right there, instead of having to drop the list down. With the exception of the icons type, those are the only types I use.

Let's tell the truth - so many choices from the dropdown list tells me that XnView has been long straying away from what it once was, trying to be all things to all people, and becoming more bloated and buggy. 90 percent of those file types in the list I've never heard of and will never see.
Clo
XnThusiast

Thanks !

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Irving

:) Hello,

• Irving, thank you very much to support this proposal.
…With the exception of the icons type…
- Here, it's shown as an example for the Paul's "wildcard" button(s). Like said already, maybe a single "wildcard" button could be sufficient. But yes, I use *.ico very often, and *.TIF as multi-page from time to time…
…90 percent of those file types in the list I've never heard of and will never see.
- Same here… However, there are formats for the various UN*X based-OSs, and too now formats for digital cameras (I guess, I've not any digital camera yet)

Claude
Clo