0.84: IPTC window: Wrong workflow with multi-selection

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

helmut

Re: 0.84: IPTC window: Wrong workflow with multi-selection

Post by helmut »

helmut wrote:
m.Th. wrote:... To be sincere, I tought A LOT at this variant... however, I think that (perhaps?) we should somehow include „current field values” and „to all files”. How to say this in few words?
Currently:
[Save] [Save All] [Cancel]

Suggestion (a bit lenghty, though):
[Save to current file] [Save to all files] [Cancel]
I thought about the labels a bit more. I don't like long button names very much - these get even longer when translation to other languages.

What about these button labels:
[Save] [Save to all files] [Cancel]

Note:
"Save to all" would be even shorter but I guess when translating new confusion and irritation might be caused.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

helmut wrote:
helmut wrote:
m.Th. wrote:... To be sincere, I tought A LOT at this variant... however, I think that (perhaps?) we should somehow include „current field values” and „to all files”. How to say this in few words?
Currently:
[Save] [Save All] [Cancel]

Suggestion (a bit lenghty, though):
[Save to current file] [Save to all files] [Cancel]
I thought about the labels a bit more. I don't like long button names very much - these get even longer when translation to other languages.

What about these button labels:
[Save] [Save to all files] [Cancel]

Note:
"Save to all" would be even shorter but I guess when translating new confusion and irritation might be caused.
Agree.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
helmut

Post by helmut »

m.Th. wrote:Agreed
Good. So all that is to do for Pierre is renaming the button from "Save all" to "Save to all files". :)

:arrow: Reproduced
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hello:
Good. So all that is to do for Pierre is renaming the button from "Save all" to "Save to all files". :)
Actually if your going for the shortest length, you can cut this phrase down even more.
"All" = is Plural
"Files" = is Plural
Word "Files" already means more than one with the added S.

So really "Save to files" would be fine for English unless you mean:

"Save all to files"

As in saving "All" of something to many files.
helmut

Post by helmut »

There's related bug which also discusses the naming of the buttons, see topic "Metadata edit - "Don't Show this message..." doesn't work"
CameronD

Re: IPTC window: Wrong workflow with multi-selection

Post by CameronD »

m.Th. wrote:...to add: {Save All} button in fact doesn't do anything. Why not remove it? (I think that it is the best solution - otherwise Pierre must rework the entire workflow)
I use it all the time - far more often than making a multiple selection and then writing individual files.

The difficulty is in remembering what options have been set on the options tab:
  • Keep original if new value is empty
  • Replace only if original value is empty
I have needed to use different combinations of these at different times. And that is part of the minefield that is multi-file multi-field updating.

And it is because of these options that you cannot have a simple "overwrite with the current field values" or similar, as the outcome depends on the options, the present file contents and the present dialog box field contents.
And that is before you get to the extra option for appending keywords to the current file contents.

One thing I have always disliked about XnViewMP compared to classic is that the options are hidden on their own tab in MP and I regularly forget about them and end up not updating what I expected or else overwriting more than I wanted to change.
And now, reading what Pierre said about the "clear all fields" I have just realised that I had forgotten what it was for (assuming I ever knew).

XnView Classic used the button "write all selected" rather than "save all" and I think the longer version is better.
By pressing {Save All} indeed it saves the respective fields from all files. However in order to modify the fields from next files we must press ">" (or "<") which triggers a Save by itself. If, after pressing ">" we respond to "Overwrite?" with "No" the metadadata is lost. Hence the metadata is not kept in memory for all files, just for the current one. Then what purpose {Save All} really have?
I think if the bug was fixed where it only asked to save if the file needed saving then this would be less of a problem. There would be less need to hide the dialog
helmut

Post by helmut »

@Pierre: Which changes did you make in 0.85 beta 1? (I'd like to retest this bug reading latest posts I'm not clear what to retest).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:@Pierre: Which changes did you make in 0.85 beta 1? (I'd like to retest this bug reading latest posts I'm not clear what to retest).
it's only UI, label of button was changed
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:@Pierre: Which changes did you make in 0.85 beta 1? (I'd like to retest this bug reading latest posts I'm not clear what to retest).
it's only UI, label of button was changed
0.85 beta 2:
"Save to files" :bug:
Correct: "Save to all files".
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hi,
0.85 beta 2:
"Save to files" :bug:
Correct: "Save to all files".
Honestly, This "Save to all files" Is Double plural words together and not needed.... Again "files" already means more than one.
See my post above.
Erixx haxx

Re: 0.84: Edit IPTC: "Don't Show this message..." doesn't w

Post by Erixx haxx »

<Moderator's note: This and some of the following topics have been moved here from another topic>
___
Bug #2:
The button was renamed to "Save to files". Suggestion was "Save to all files". (The "all" is the important bit).
Again,Honestly, This "Save to all files" Is Double plural words together and not needed.... Again "files" already means more than one.
See my post here: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 41#p140841

Save to files, is the correct way
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

so 'save to files'? :)
Pierre.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

I think so,
My other post here explains:
Actually if your going for the shortest length, you can cut this phrase down even more.
"All" = is Plural
"Files" = is Plural

So really "Save to files" would be fine for English. Unless you mean:

"Save all to files"

Unless something here makes you think only some of the files will be saved to.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Erixx haxx wrote:Word "Files" already means more than one with the added S.
"Save" button means: "Save to file"
"Save to files" button means: "Save to files"
As written above this little "s" is too little difference in wording for a big difference in functionality. "Save to all" would be a possible alternative but as written above I'm not sure whether all translators will get this right, then.

Another idea:
When editing IPTC/IIM data of multiple files in this dialog I guess most users work in a specific way (always apply to all files or always write to single files). A checkbox [x] Write values to all selected files and simple buttons "Save" and "Cancel" might be both clear and user-friendly.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

I explained Here:
"All" = is Plural
"Files" = is Plural

So really "Save to files" would be fine for English, Unless you mean:

"Save all to files"

Save to files, is correct, unless something here makes you think only some or part of the files will be saved to, for some reason.
File
and
Files
Are very much different. The "S" makes almost all nouns mean more than one.

Save to All, would work also, but less descriptive. It's more generic.

"Save to all files" will still work, but is longer, not needed, and is double plural. Kind of redundant,
Together, It mean's ALL files must be saved to, because of some kind of doubt only a few will.