How to define xnview as default program for scanner button

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

rowi

How to define xnview as default program for scanner button

Post by rowi »

Hello,
I use a HP scanjet 5590 which has 4 buttons to start specific actions. I tried to use xnview instead of the default HP program. In control panel - scanners and cameras I found a possibility for such associations under scanner events, but xnview is not presented on the drop-down menu.
What can I do to replace the lousy HP programs by xnview?

I appreciate yor help.

Rolf
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: How to define xnview as default program for scanner butt

Post by xnview »

rowi wrote:Hello,
I use a HP scanjet 5590 which has 4 buttons to start specific actions. I tried to use xnview instead of the default HP program. In control panel - scanners and cameras I found a possibility for such associations under scanner events, but xnview is not presented on the drop-down menu.
What can I do to replace the lousy HP programs by xnview?

I appreciate yor help.
Could you try option/install/Add Xnview as application...
Pierre.
rowi

does not work

Post by rowi »

Hello,
I made the definitions as you stated, but it does not work. XnView does not show up. I installed a software to manage pictures called "picasa" and this one is available to connect to a scanner event.
Do you have any more suggestions?
Thanks a lot

Rolf
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: does not work

Post by xnview »

rowi wrote:Hello,
I made the definitions as you stated, but it does not work. XnView does not show up. I installed a software to manage pictures called "picasa" and this one is available to connect to a scanner event.
Do you have any more suggestions?
Thanks a lot
Which OS do you have?
Pierre.
rowi

OS

Post by rowi »

Hello Pierre,
I use Windows XP SP 2 with all consecutive fixes applied.

Rolf
rowi

OS - addition

Post by rowi »

Hello Pierre,

I forgot to say that it is Windows XP home edition.

Rolf
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: OS - addition

Post by xnview »

rowi wrote:Hello Pierre,

I forgot to say that it is Windows XP home edition.

Rolf
Ok, currently a problem...
Pierre.
rowi

solution

Post by rowi »

Hello Pierre,
does that mean that a solution can be expected for the next Release of xnview (in september)?

Rolf
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: solution

Post by xnview »

rowi wrote:Hello Pierre,
does that mean that a solution can be expected for the next Release of xnview (in september)?
Yes
Pierre.
GeorgD

Re: How to define xnview as default program for scanner button

Post by GeorgD »

How about Win 7 Home premium with 64bit? Am I the only one who can't set XnView as default application for scan button? And yes, XnView is installed as application using setup.
way 1: XnView 1.97.2, F12, System integration, "add XnView as app to USB events" can be set but is forgotten instantly, so pressing OK and then F12 again shows a non-checked box.
way 2: system control panel, devices + printers, right click on my scanner, Scan Properties, events, SCAN button => no action with comment "no application registered for this event". Also no button "register an application manually" :-(

@french speakers: I've the impression http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... ent#p79338 is explaining how to add XnView manually via registry editor as event app - is that correct?
In the XnView Wiki, you can improve the user guide / documentation / F1-help for XnView (classic/Windows) and for XnViewMP
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Hello Georg :-)
GeorgD wrote:I've the impression http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... ent#p79338 is explaining how to add XnView manually via registry editor as event app - is that correct?
Yes, you're right.
Because my multi-function printer doesn't have a “Scan” button, I can't test it myself, but obviously that registry “hack” works for Mirada2000's version of Windows.
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

Thanks :) I tried a little....with success :-) Registry keys and comments describing the procedure below:

Code: Select all

; Add XnView as application that can be chosen for USB scanner event. 
; First, try the default ways to do: Start XnView, press F12, system integration, check "add XnView as app to USB events" and try. If it does not work: Go to windows system control panel, devices + printers, right click your scanner, Scan Properties, events, SCAN button - here, XnView shall appear as application. If it does not, continue.

; Registry paths+values and file paths for Win 7 Home Premium German 64bit.
; More detailed HowTo at http://icopy.sourceforge.net/?p=98 and XnView related thread http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5679

; XnView had to be installed via setup. It has no GUID like most other programs, it has as normal string, XnView_is1 on my machine - source:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\XnView_is1

; StillImage did not exist before!
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\StillImage\Registered Applications]
;Under this key, add a string value with Name [Program Name] and Value [Executable Path] 
"XnView"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\XnView\\xnview.exe\" /StiDevice:%1 /StiEvent:%2"

; Under the key
; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StillImage\Events\STIProxyEvent\
; add a new key and call it with your program GUID in { } brackets. Then add the following string values.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StillImage\Events\STIProxyEvent\XnView_is1]
"Name"="XnView"
"Desc"="XnView"
"Icon"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\XnView\\xnview.exe,0"
"Cmdline"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\XnView\\xnview.exe\" /StiDevice:%1 /StiEvent:%2"

;Note that the program won’t be recognized until next system restart
;After restart, go to system control panel, devices + printers, right click your scanner, Scan Properties, events, SCAN button - here, XnView shall now appear as application.
In the XnView Wiki, you can improve the user guide / documentation / F1-help for XnView (classic/Windows) and for XnViewMP
XFi_fan

Post by XFi_fan »

Whenever I check "add XnView as app to USB events" it is is forgotten instantly, even when started as administrator. I have 64 bit Windows 7. (Rebooting makes no difference.)

I have my cell phone connected to my laptop via a USB cable and I decided to use XnView because whenever I open my pictures via Windows Picture Viewer they are often upside down. Thankfully XnView has solved that problem.

But I have many hundreds of pictures, and I want to be able to open that location on my cell phone, but XnView will only allow me to open pictures on my C: Drive. It does "see" my cell phone, and it "sees" the different directories on my cell phone. But it will not open a directory of images on my cell. Why is that?

I can open the cell phone directories via Windows Explorer on my laptop, and when I right click on a .jpeg image it will open nicely in XnView. But clicking the "direction" arrows within XnView will not advance me through the images in that directory that have not already been opened manually via a "right click" followed by "Open".

In other words, I am really needing a way to "click" my way through the image directory, one image after another, within XnView. I am guessing that if the "add XnView as app to USB events" check box would "stick", my problem might be solved. But I do not know that.

FWIW, when I first connect my cell phone to my laptop via USB, one of the options that appears in the "AutoPlay" popup is "XnView, using XnVIew", but if I choose that I get this error message: "Cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on..." I have no idea why it is talking about a scanner. But after I cancel out of the error XnView pops up and it lists my cell phone, and I can access any folder that contains just data, but I cannot access any folder that contains images.

Also, right clicking on my cell phone within Devices and Printers does not show any applications.

Suggestions?
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

XFi_fan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:08 amBut I have many hundreds of pictures, and I want to be able to open that location on my cell phone, but XnView will only allow me to open pictures on my C: Drive. It does "see" my cell phone, and it "sees" the different directories on my cell phone. But it will not open a directory of images on my cell. Why is that?
Suggestions?
Cell phones can connect to PCs in different ways. It sounds to me, that you have chosen MTP mode, so it is telling Windows it is similar to a scanner (only 1 image at a time and no drive letter assigned). What you would like you cell phone is to appear as USB storage, so like a USB stick, hence getting a drive letter - then XnView shall be able to browse the pictures like on any other drive. You can change that setting somewhere in your cell phone configuration, the exact placing varies.
Hope that helps, Georg