Auto zoom confusion

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

someAccount

Auto zoom confusion

Post by someAccount »

Hey,

I just got XnView to replace Irfanview, so far i really like it but it seems XnView is lacking a proper auto zoom feature, i've tried all the modes and none seem to do the job, XnView should be able to open images at 100% zoom level and fitting them automatically until the images reaches the screen boundaries, then it should automatically adjust the zoom level to keep the image from going out of the boundaries.

Using fit window to image and "force XnView to fit image" seems to do the job for smaller images but larger images are going off screen.

Using the other modes doesn't allow XnView to fit the images leaving wasted blank space around images and seems to keep a fixed size making small images have a LOT of wasted space around them.

Why can't we have a mode that implements what both modes do well?

I've looked at the documentation and the "Viewing" tab documentation is empty.

Thanks
someAccount

Re: Auto zoom confusion

Post by someAccount »

By the way, this is how IrfanView behaves by default, I haven't been able to set up XnView so it behaves the same.
someAccount

Post by someAccount »

Also when changing an image XnView goes from my second monitor to my primary monitor which is annoying when working with multiple monitors.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

do you use 'fit to image, large only'?
Pierre.
someAccount

Post by someAccount »

xnview wrote:do you use 'fit to image, large only'?
There is no such option, i see "fit image to window, large only" and that doesn't do what i want.

I'm using version 2.43
someAccount

Post by someAccount »

It's best if you just get IrfanView and try to open some small and some very large images, you'll see how it behaves, how the large images are always zoomed to fit the screen boundaries and be seen entirely, yet no space is wasted on small images, IrfanView's border always adjusts to the images.

Also with IrfanView images can be viewed and browsed on a secondary monitor without having the window constantly pop back on the primary monitor.

My only issue with IrfanView is that it can't be set up to zoom with the mouse wheel, and double clicking goes fullscreen, but not out of it, middle click is required for that, minor annoyances.

I've tried FastStone, ImageGlass, Nomacs, XnView, IrfanView.

All wonderful softwares, but none of them does everything right, IrfanView is the clear winner for me because of it's intuitive auto-fit/zoom behavior which makes viewing any sized images a smooth experience.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

You want that window of XnView is adapted to image?
Pierre.
someAccount

Post by someAccount »

xnview wrote:You want that window of XnView is adapted to image?
Yes, like when using the "Fit window to image" mode with "Force XnView to fit image" which works perfectly for images smaller than the screen resolution.

But the problem with that mode is that when opening large images, it opens up zoomed at 100% size and we can't see anything until we zoom out, it would be nice it it automatically adjusted the zoom level so that the image would never exceed the screen dimensions, like IrfanView does.