Option to set the preview-height…

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Clo
XnThusiast

Option to set the preview-height…

Post by Clo »

:) Hello All !

- Using the default browser-layout (4), there is sometimes a minor problem to display text files as preview :
- The minimal preview-height is fixed in the program, and some text files can have an empty top -for several lines- hence nothing is visible first.

- While testing to check TXT files in the browser, I found even that sometimes the preview area can have a null height when a folder contains TXT files only (or else types, but not any image), when it's open the first time.
- This has been pointed out in that thread by a user who complained that the TXT no longer worked in preview.
• So, I guess that an option :
Browser >> Preview >> Minimal height of the preview area [ nn… ] pixels
should be useful.

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
helmut

Post by helmut »

Once the preview bug is fixed, will you still need a new option?
Clo
XnThusiast

Nothing more is urgent---

Post by Clo »

¤ Hi !
- Not specially soon… :P
- It should be nice to get this one in the very next version, though.
- And there is already a pretty bunch of proposals pending (others' and mine) …
• They risk to be plagiarized if not applied ! ;)

:mrgreen: G
Claude
Clo
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Option to set the preview-height…

Post by xnview »

Clo wrote:- Using the default browser-layout (4), there is sometimes a minor problem to display text files as preview :
- The minimal preview-height is fixed in the program, and some text files can have an empty top -for several lines- hence nothing is visible first.

- While testing to check TXT files in the browser, I found even that sometimes the preview area can have a null height when a folder contains TXT files only (or else types, but not any image), when it's open the first time.
- This has been pointed out in that thread by a user who complained that the TXT no longer worked in preview.
Sorry i don't understand the problem.
Pierre.
Clo
XnThusiast

Please, read again…

Post by Clo »

:) Hi Pierre !

1. Just like I described in my previous message above : randomly, sometimes the minimal height of the preview is missing (H=0), we have just the active stripe to enlarge it. Like I said, this occurs especially when a folder doesn't contain any image, but only text-files or so.

2. Even when the minimal (hard-coded ?) height exists in the same case, sometimes the tops of the text-files display nothing, because some texts have several empty lines at their tops. It should be "comfortable" to get an option in order to force a minimal height of the preview; that should allow to see the first rows of the text, even when the top is pretty empty for several lines… and that users can think there is a problem with these files.
- Win 98 SE

Claude
Clo
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Please, read again…

Post by xnview »

Clo wrote:1. Just like I described in my previous message above : randomly, sometimes the minimal height of the preview is missing (H=0), we have just the active stripe to enlarge it. Like I said, this occurs especially when a folder doesn't contain any image, but only text-files or so.
Strange, i have not this problem.
Pierre.
Clo
XnThusiast

INI variable ?

Post by Clo »

:) Hello !

- This is a random issue, but really annoying…
- Since it could occur rarely, what about a simple INI variable entry with the actual "Preview" ones ? Something like :

PreviewHeight=…
PreviewMinimalHeight=nn
where nn is the minimal wanted height in pixels.
This entry might take precedence if the actual "PreviewHeight=…" is smaller, indeed…
- So, no need to add an option in the program-interface, the users will add this in the INI "by hand" when needed only…

Claude
Clo
helmut

Post by helmut »

Clo, thank you for your idea. At the moment you are still discussing a workaround for a bug. Let's focus on finding the bug, not on possible workarounds.