Display a warning whenever saving an image changes the bits per channel, or the number of channels.

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Luminous

Display a warning whenever saving an image changes the bits per channel, or the number of channels.

Post by Luminous »

Basically, whenever you save an image with XNView, you never quite know for sure what your resulting bits/channel or the total number of channels is going to be until after you've reopened the image for inspection.

So, as a safeguard, any time the user saves as an image format that forces the bits per channel, or the total number of channels to change, XNView should display a popup warning the user before saving, that this is going to happen.

This happened to me when I tried saving as the FLIF format, and I noticed the total bits of the image changed after inspecting the resulting FLIF. A simple warning would have given me a heads up.

P.S. I believe that may be a bug as well (FLIF saving as 8bits per channel instead of 16bits per channel as intended).

Thanks!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Display a warning whenever saving an image changes the bits per channel, or the number of channels.

Post by xnview »

but you have a warning when you open the picture file
Pierre.