large files EXR thumbnails block for a while XnView

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

vicsharx

large files EXR thumbnails block for a while XnView

Post by vicsharx »

For panos HDRi the normal format is EXR and they are typically large files. When navigating a folder if XnView finds some of these files start acting normal generating the thumbnails. For a while it seems everything is OK as you can see other files of the same folder clicking over them at same time Xnview generates thumbnails. But then interactivity stop and you are stuck until Xnview finishes doing the thumbnails of the full folder. You can not see other files or change to other folders and if you keep clicking the screen becomes eventually grey. The program won't crash anyway, it simply has a massive slowdown and after a while it will execute the last command. Once all thumbnails are done is OK. I can reproduce it 100%

The problem is that I can not go anything near to folders with EXR panos or Xnview will be temporally stuck, even if it is imply generating EXR thumbails of a subfolder.

I would expect Xnview keeps control of the interactivity even if this mean stopping temporally the creation of thumbnails, but it seems that when a heavy thumbnail creation is in progress it takes priority over interactivity. It depends of the size of the images, I'm talking about 17k x 8.5k pixels in a very fast CPU with 64 gigabytes of ram.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: large files EXR tumbnails block for a while XnView

Post by xnview »

could you send me a sample file?
Pierre.
vicsharx

Post by vicsharx »

It is better to test it with several files in the folder. Then simply copy the same file several times in the same folder with different names.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b02eoccpy3mm4 ... 0.exr?dl=0
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

thanks, this exr file has no embedded thumbnail, so i need to load full file to create thumbnail
Pierre.
vicsharx

Post by vicsharx »

The program doesn't give option to do thumbnail. In fact I don't think any program does.
The problem is not the time it takes to do the thumbnail but the fact it makes XnView unresponsive. It would be a workaround at least to interrupt the thumbnail if a action is requested but the thumbnail takes priority.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem.
The thumbnails creation process need to be interrupted in this case.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: large files EXR thumbnails block for a while XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.91. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
vicsharx

Re: large files EXR thumbnails block for a while XnView

Post by vicsharx »

Fixed from I can see.
Thanks. This was a big issue as it was making the program very unresponsive apparently randomly (unless you knew what the bug was about)