Photo Rotates after Cropping

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

dietmar

Post by dietmar »

xnview wrote:are you on Mac too?
Pierre, this isn't a Mac-only problem. It happens on Linux as well.
Like the other users I'm seeing this happen every now and then. I haven't been able to pinpoint down the exact circumstances when it happens and why.
It just happened with these images yesterday.
To the left is the original. EXIF-Orientation = left-bottom (8) ExifTool-Orientation = Rotate 270 CW
To the right is the cropped image, created using a selection and 'Save Selection'. EXIF-Orientation = left-bottom (8) ExifTool-Orientation = Rotate 270 CW
This was with 0.89 on Linux 32-bit, if that matters.

Regards
Dietmar
Attachments
Screen-2018-03-12_14-06-45.jpg
Screen-2018-03-12_14-06-45.jpg (27.51 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Photo Rotates after Cropping

Post by xnview »

dietmar wrote: To the left is the original. EXIF-Orientation = left-bottom (8) ExifTool-Orientation = Rotate 270 CW
To the right is the cropped image, created using a selection and 'Save Selection'. EXIF-Orientation = left-bottom (8) ExifTool-Orientation = Rotate 270 CW
This was with 0.89 on Linux 32-bit, if that matters.
do you reproduce with this file?
Pierre.
dietmar

Post by dietmar »

xnview wrote:do you reproduce with this file?
Kind of. (Just spend an hour trying to ...)
If I open the same file and highlight the exact same selection, the newly generated file is correctly oriented and EXIF-Orientation is top-left (1).
But, if I open a different file from the same folder which is in landscape mode (EXIF-Orientation=top-left (1)), then use the 'next file' button to step to the file in question (the one in portrait mode) and now select and save selection then the new file is rotated.
Thus this must be a side effect of images shown previously.
Hope this helps.

Dietmar
dietmar

Post by dietmar »

Pierre,

in contrast to the other member, my bug report is not a user-error. So keep this open until solved.

Dietmar

dietmar wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:33 am
xnview wrote:do you reproduce with this file?
Kind of. (Just spend an hour trying to ...)
If I open the same file and highlight the exact same selection, the newly generated file is correctly oriented and EXIF-Orientation is top-left (1).
But, if I open a different file from the same folder which is in landscape mode (EXIF-Orientation=top-left (1)), then use the 'next file' button to step to the file in question (the one in portrait mode) and now select and save selection then the new file is rotated.
Thus this must be a side effect of images shown previously.
Hope this helps.

Dietmar
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dietmar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:34 am in contrast to the other member, my bug report is not a user-error. So keep this open until solved.
could you send me the files used, and the exact way to reproduce it, please
Pierre.
dietmar

Post by dietmar »

xnview wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am could you send me the files used, and the exact way to reproduce it, please
Pierre, here's the way to reproduce this effect. The forum software does not allow me to upload the files I used (too big). Give me an email or a place to upload if needed. Or try with some of your files.

F1.jpg: landscape-oriented photo 4896x3672, EXIF-Orientation: Horizontal (normal), Camera-orientation: top-left (1)
F2.jpg: same as F1.jpg but reduced to 1365x1024, EXIF-Orientation: Horizontal (normal), Camera-orientation: top-left (1)
F3.jpg: portrait-oriented photo 4896x3672, EXIF-Orientation: Rotate 270 CW, Camera-orientation: left-bottom (8)

XnView: MP Linux Version 0.90 64bits (Mar 5 2018) (also happens on 0.89 32bits)

Photo rotates after cropping

Effect: Portrait photo rotates after save selection if previously a landscape photo was viewed

To reproduce:
1. Place the three files into a new folder and open this folder in MP. Order by filename ascending.
2. Open F3.jpg (i.e. the portrait photo)
3. Highlight the top-left part of the image (e.g. from 0,0 to 2500,3500 approximately)
4. Save Selection as F4.jpg
5. Close file and look at browser pane. F4.jpg is correctly oriented.
6. Restart MP. Open the same folder.
7. Open F1.jpg
8. Next File to F2.jpg
9. Next File to F3.jpg
10. Highlight the same part of the image (e.g. from 0,0 to 2500,3500 approximately)
11. Save Selection as F5.jpg
12. Close file and look at browser pane. F5.jpg is rotated.

Actual behavior (bug): Cropped photo is incorrectly rotated. This is a side-effect of having looked at a landscape-type photo before.

Expected behavior: Photo should not rotate.

Regards
Dietmar
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Ok, i can reproduce, it will be fixed in next release
Pierre.
dietmar

Post by dietmar »

xnview wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:13 pm Ok, i can reproduce, it will be fixed in next release
Good to hear. And please also build a 32bit Linux version when you build the next release. :)

Dietmar
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.91. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.