Simple format GPS Coord.

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

michel038
XnThusiast

Simple format GPS Coord.

Post by michel038 »

Ce serait sympa de pouvoir copier coller des coordonnées GPS "en un seul clic" dans l'un des formats ordinaires de Google ou Geoportail
Soit pour mettre dans une photo des coordonnées récupérées sur google, soit pour copier les coordonnées d'une image et les coller dans une autre (ou tout autre usage)
Exemples de format : 47°13'36.2"N 2°04'04.4"E ou 47.226734, 2.067899 (T'as voulu voir Vierzon et on a vu Vierzon ...)
(Outils, métadonnées, éditer les données GPS

I wish I could copy / paste GPS coordinates with one click , using google format : 47.226734, 2.067899 or 47°13'36.2"N 2°04'04.4"E
(Tools, metadata, edit GPS)
MikeD

Re: Simple format GPS Coord.

Post by MikeD »

I support this request - I was thinking of posting it myself.

I think GPS is very important metadata. People viewing a picture are usually interested in 'what' (caption), 'when' (date taken), and 'where' (GPS). I therefore try to add GPS data to photos taken before cameras could add this automatically. I used to use Zoner Photo Studio for browsing and viewing images, and editing metadata, but I now mainly use XnView MP. But it's much quicker to add GPS in Zoner Photo Studio.

Here are the necessary steps in the two programs to copy latitude-longitude from Google Maps to image metadata. Assume that the dialog for editing latitude-longitude metadata is already open, and that latitude-longitude has been found in Google Maps.

Zoner Photo Studio - 5 actions

In Google Maps: select comma-separated latitude-longitude; Ctrl+C.
Return to Zoner Photo Studio; click 'Paste from clipboard'; click 'Apply'.

XnView MP - 12 actions

In Google Maps: select latitude; Ctrl+C.
Return to XnView; select contents of 'Latitude' box; Ctrl+V.
Return to Google Maps; select longitude; Ctrl+C.
Return to XnView; select contents of 'Longitude' box; Ctrl+V; click 'Write'.
Mike Dallwitz
Sirio

Post by Sirio »

michel038 is telling about in ONE click.
Lightroom can do that easy in two ways: Copy and paste the whole string GPS or with the Sync Metadata bouton.
In XnViewMP, I just imagine a button in the Edit GPS Data window that can copy all the infos at once and another that can paste all the infos at once.
Sirio
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Workaround to copy GPS coords from another picture :

- I have img001.jpg with correct GPS data.
- I want to copy these data to DSC500.jpg , DSC501.jpg DSC502.jpg etc...

Select all these pictures, click Tools, Metadata, Edit GPS data.
In this window, go to img001.jpg preview, using > or < keys. Here you can see GPS data.
Click "Write all" !

I'm still using Geosetter when I need to position images on a map.
And sometimes, I get Google maps coordinates , but I must paste them with many operations
Sirio had a good idea , a "paste" button
If xnviewmp could do these actions ...
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

As I mentioned above, Zoner Photo Studio has a 'Paste' button in its 'Assign GPS Data' window. It also has a 'Copy' button.

Zoner's 'Assign GPS Data' window shows thumbnails of the images that were selected in the Browser (in addition to a preview of the current image). It also displays a map showing the GPS position of the current image. Both of these features are quite useful.
Mike Dallwitz
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

how do you want to copy GPS, for example in the popup menu on GPS info?
Pierre.
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

xnview wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:09 am how do you want to copy GPS, for example in the popup menu on GPS info?
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. Where is the menu that you're referring to?
Mike Dallwitz
Sirio

Post by Sirio »

Something like this, Pierre:
Copy Paste GPS.png
Copy Paste GPS.png (27.25 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Sirio
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Siro said
Something like this, Pierre:
yes!

and the clipboard could contain a string like -2.40000000, -360.0000000
So we could copy paste also in maps website .

how do you want to copy GPS, for example in the popup menu on GPS info?

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. Where is the menu that you're referring to?
I thik Pierre was talking about right-click on EXIF:gps data in Info pane, and "copy this item" feature
But this feature gives a format that we can't paste anywhere but in a text file.
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

Here's what I'd like to have in the 'Edit GPS Data' window. The changes from the current version are:
(1) Copy and paste buttons for the GPS coordinates.
(2) Map.
(3) Thumbnail strip containing the currently selected images. This replaces the left and right arrows in the current version. It makes navigation easier, and also makes it easier to check the set of images to which 'Write all' would apply.
(4) Caption and date. I find it helpful to have this information available whenever possible.
Attachments
edit-gps-data.png
Mike Dallwitz
Sirio

Post by Sirio »

:shock: Hey MikeD, you want something like GeoSetter ???
But, why not?
Sirio
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

you want something like GeoSetter ?
I wasn't aware of GeoSetter. My ideas were based on Zoner Photo Studio, as mentioned in my first post.

All of the features shown in my example above (except the Copy and Paste buttons) are already in XnView MP in other contexts. But I'd like to see them brought together in the 'Edit GPS Data' window.

It would also be handy to be able to set the GPS coordinates directly from the map. Currently, I get them from Google Maps, using the "What's here?" feature, as shown below.
whats-here-01.png
whats-here-02.png
Mike Dallwitz
Sirio

Post by Sirio »

Indeed, we already have a function in the Tools menu:
Open GPS location in GeoHack
Open GPS location in Google Earth
Which is very interesting easy and useful, but is one-way function. Personally, having the reverse function as MikeD simulate with a map inside the Edit GPS data pop-up, is too much, but why not. Probably is too much programming to do and could make heavier XnviewMP.
From my point of view, if I can past GPS coordinate from Google Map (e.g.: 39.494040, 8.440702) on the Edit GPS data pop-up in one click is already enough.
Obviously XnViewMP should automatically recognize if the GPS coordinate is an Decimal, Sexagesimal, with dot or with coma, etc...
Sirio
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Sirio said
From my point of view, if I can paste GPS coordinate from Google Map (e.g.: 39.494040, 8.440702) on the Edit GPS data pop-up in one click is already enough.
Quite one year later, It would be enough for me too. Geoportail.fr gives also same string type.

I also tried to paste sexagesimal coordinates, N and E are default. ok.
But if you need to paste S or W coordinates, you must edit it (copy 1°31'42.4"W and paste W 1°31'42.4")
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Sirio wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:51 am Something like this, Pierre:
Copy Paste GPS.png
So only a copy & paste button in this dialog, right?
Pierre.