Option to disable XnView from starting up whenever we view an image in fullscreen mode

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Stanfoo

Option to disable XnView from starting up whenever we view an image in fullscreen mode

Post by Stanfoo »

Whenever you open an image to be viewed in fullscreen mode, after pressing ESC to exit, XnView program is automatically opened and shows that same image. I find that intrusive, it would be nice to have an option to disable XnView from automatically opening whenever we view an image in fullscreen mode. I used FastStone Image Viewer before switching to XnView and that image viewer did not have this problem, so I would think you'd be able to implement this.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Option to disable XnView from starting up whenever we view an image in fullscreen mode

Post by xnview »

you means that browser comes after pressing ESC on fullscreen image?
Pierre.
Stanfoo

Re: Option to disable XnView from starting up whenever we view an image in fullscreen mode

Post by Stanfoo »

xnview wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:44 am you means that browser comes after pressing ESC on fullscreen image?
No. Browser comes immediately after opening an image on fullscreen mode. But you don't notice the browser until after you exit fullscreen mode.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Stanfoo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:49 am Whenever you open an image to be viewed in fullscreen mode, after pressing ESC to exit, XnView program is automatically opened and shows that same image. I find that intrusive, it would be nice to have an option to disable XnView from automatically opening whenever we view an image in fullscreen mode.
Stanfoo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:17 am
xnview wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:44 am you means that browser comes after pressing ESC on fullscreen image?
No. Browser comes immediately after opening an image on fullscreen mode. But you don't notice the browser until after you exit fullscreen mode.

Option to 'Close XnView when exit fullscreen' ?
Stanfoo

Post by Stanfoo »

cday wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:47 pm Option to 'Close XnView when exit fullscreen' ?
That could work, but it would have to close at the same time when exiting fullscreen. If you still see the browser for a split second after exiting fullscreen, then there wouldn't be much point, as I don't want to see the browser at all. Ideally I'd prefer XnView to just not start up at all.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

do you have 'open browser' unchecked?
Pierre.
Stanfoo

Post by Stanfoo »

xnview wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:47 am do you have 'open browser' unchecked?
yes
foxyshadis

Post by foxyshadis »

This has worked for me for years. Under Interface->Keyboard there's a "Pressing ESC once quits XnViewMP" option, do you have that set to Never? Either of the other options should do it.
Roberto TC

Post by Roberto TC »

Hi there! I agree with the Stanfoo.

Xnview products are really the best in the world, for me. Thank you so much for your work and restless effort to improve them more and more!

Still, I would like to know if there is a way to insert a command line into the ini file, so that it would close the application afterwards starting from a file, which I selected to happen in fullscreen, and then, as the ESC be pressed, the browser wouldn't be shown not even for a second.

Thank you so much in antecipation!
eqagunn

Post by eqagunn »

The issue flagged by Stanfoo is still present.

With "Open browser at startup" unchecked the browser will not open if starting xnviewmp executable on its own, but if starting with a file it will.

I assume "Mode when starting with a file" setting overwrites "Open browser at startup" one, the browser ends up being open behind the fullscreen mode and therefore we see it for a brief second when exiting from fullscreen.

Using "Fullscreen - Viewer" kind of behaves the same, but instead you see the viewer for a brief second when exiting from fullscreen.

Let's say we are looking for "Fullscreen" option in that dropdown.

Currently it appears as if fullscreen mode is dependent on having either Viewer or Browser open in the background resulting in longer startup time and seeing it briefly when exiting xnviewmp from fullscreen.

P.S. "Normal" should be renamed to "Viewer" IMO.