Not displaying WEBM, or MP4 properly on new Win10 installation

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

XN749

Not displaying WEBM, or MP4 properly on new Win10 installation

Post by XN749 »

I just installed Xnview classic on my new computer, and I'm having trouble with video files. (WEBM, MP4) The thumbnails don't work, nor does the preview show anything but the moving progress bar. If I click on them they play normally. In slideshow mode they are a black screen until I click to the next, then it will flash on the screen for a split second.

So far I've gone through all my video settings, uninstalled, then re-installed Codecs, and deleted then re-installed Xnview.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Not displaying WEBM, or MP4 properly on new Win10 installation

Post by xnview »

do you have installed a codec pack?
Pierre.
XN749

Post by XN749 »

Yes. Started with K-lite, then uninstalled and tried LAVfilters. K-lite always worked fine for me on win7. I'm thinking its something with video card settings. Its clearly playing WEBM, and MP4 just fine, I just get a black screen until I click next, then a quick flash of it, before then next one.
XN749

Post by XN749 »

So I've found something that works, in case anyone else has this problem. If I run xnview, then open a video file in the browser, it will play. after doing that, I can run a slideshow, and video will play normally. I have to repeat this step every time XNview starts up. It will not run a slideshow via SLD file, unless xnview is already running, and I have opened at least one video file in the browser.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

so if you open a video file in 'edit mode', it plays correctly, but with next file, blank screen?
Pierre.
XN749

Post by XN749 »

No, once I open the first that way, they are fine for the rest of the session. I have to repeat the step every time I use the software.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

if you open an image in edit mode, pressing next/previous doens't play correctly?
Pierre.
XN749

Post by XN749 »

xnview wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:19 am if you open an image in edit mode, pressing next/previous doens't play correctly?
if I'm clicking through a folder of mixed media in browser mode, the first video I come to will play as a grey screen. You can see the progress bar moving, but otherwise its just grey.

If I then double click it to go back to the folder thumbnail view, then double click on the video file i just tried to play, it will open it in browser mode and play normally, as will all subsequent videos I click through.

If I close or even minimize the software, I have to repeat the process to get videos to play. Its almost like there's another layer over the video until I click to bring it to the front or something.

Also, video thumbnails do not work.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XN749 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:12 pm
xnview wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:19 am if you open an image in edit mode, pressing next/previous doens't play correctly?
if I'm clicking through a folder of mixed media in browser mode, the first video I come to will play as a grey screen. You can see the progress bar moving, but otherwise its just grey.

If I then double click it to go back to the folder thumbnail view, then double click on the video file i just tried to play, it will open it in browser mode and play normally, as will all subsequent videos I click through.

If I close or even minimize the software, I have to repeat the process to get videos to play. Its almost like there's another layer over the video until I click to bring it to the front or something.
could you send me a screen recorder video?
Also, video thumbnails do not work.
for which format?
Pierre.
Jean_59

Post by Jean_59 »

I have a trouble of the same kind:
It started a few weeks ago: no changes were made to settings or codecs, but video files (mp4, mpg, mpeg, avi, mov) do not play when I double click on them in browser mode (preview or full screen).
Display is black, but I can hear the sound.
Even more strange, If I run a second instance of Xnview, the second instance works normally !
In edit mode, no problem, but I usually use Xnview in browser mode and look at photos and videos in sequence.
I uninstalled/reinstalled Xnview (even in portable mode) and K-lite codecs,
but nothing changed.
I just don't understand ! I have been using Xnview for years; it is the best program to explore folders containing both photos and videos.

Xnview 2.48, Windows 10 famille 1803 64 bits
Win 10-64, Intel i7, idsplay Dell U2413
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Jean_59 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:48 am I just don't understand ! I have been using Xnview for years; it is the best program to explore folders containing both photos and videos.
No video driver change? Simple click the same?
Pierre.
Jean_59

Post by Jean_59 »

- display driver was not changed: Geforce GTX960, pilote ver. 399.24
- simple click on thumbnail does nothing else than select;
I use Enter to switch browser/viewer (no problem in viewer mode)

This morning, I upgraded to windows 10 (famille) version mai2019: 1903, 18362.207 :
the problem is still there !

Xnview MP works as usual, but MP is not well suited for videos !

I have no idea, thank you for your interest.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Jean_59 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:13 pm This morning, I upgraded to windows 10 (famille) version mai2019: 1903, 18362.207 :
the problem is still there !
do you have tried to rename the xnview.ini?
Xnview MP works as usual, but MP is not well suited for videos !
why?
Pierre.
Jean_59

Post by Jean_59 »

1 - Yes and starting with no ini file doesn't solve the problem.
2 - The video viewer of MP is poor compared to classic:

- no display of time total/elapsed or remaining;
- cannot set the time interval to 0 in automatic slideshow
- see the posts of 'Xnview-User'on this topic : ... jerky, choppy.. for several seconds in full screen
(funny enough, this is worse with small video files than with big ones: films, series..
For me Xnview classic is still the reference, and automatic slideshow is fine to browse a folder containing many videos.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Jean_59 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:48 am 1 - Yes and starting with no ini file doesn't solve the problem.
for me, the problem comes with codecs
2 - The video viewer of MP is poor compared to classic:

- no display of time total/elapsed or remaining;
- cannot set the time interval to 0 in automatic slideshow
Only that? can be added...
- see the posts of 'Xnview-User'on this topic : ... jerky, choppy.. for several seconds in full screen
(funny enough, this is worse with small video files than with big ones: films, series..
What do you means?
Pierre.