Help Crop and Image Resize

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

DoubleD

Help Crop and Image Resize

Post by DoubleD »

So I'm looking at my photos and I decide I want to crop a section but I want to retain teh original size of the photo.

Not know what I'm doing I assume that if I look at the image size before touching the photo I can resize the image to that,

I click Image, Resize and I see that it show width: 6000 Height: 4000 pixels. I cancel the resize and proceed crop the image. Once I'm done I click Image, Resize ... and I set the 6000. Since keep rate is checked the Height adjusts accordingly. I save the image BUT when I look at cropped and resized image or post to Facebook (with other images that have not been touch) its taller or wider.

How can I retain the original photo size after cropping ?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Help Crop and Image Resize

Post by cday »

DoubleD wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:34 pm So I'm looking at my photos and I decide I want to crop a section but I want to retain the original size of the photo.

Not know what I'm doing I assume that if I look at the image size before touching the photo I can resize the image to that,

I click Image, Resize and I see that it show width: 6000 Height: 4000 pixels. I cancel the resize and proceed crop the image. Once I'm done I click Image, Resize ... and I set the 6000. Since keep rate is checked the Height adjusts accordingly. I save the image BUT when I look at cropped and resized image or post to Facebook (with other images that have not been touch) its taller or wider.

How can I retain the original photo size after cropping ?
It might be helpful if you could post example cropped, resized and if possible original images...
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

cday wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:03 pm It might be helpful if you could post example cropped, resized and if possible original images...

So here's a pic I cropped and resized setting the Height to 4000 and saved it then I undid the resize and redid the size, setting the width to 6000
XnView MP-2.png
XnView MP-3.png

As viewed from Windows Explorer
XnView MP-1.png
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

I'm not sure that I understand, but are you saying that in the bottom Windows Explorer view you would like the cropped image to be the same height as the original uncropped image?

If so, isn't the problem possibly that Windows Explorer resizes images to fit within a standard box size?
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

cday wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:42 pm you would like the cropped image to be the same height as the original uncropped image?
Yes that is what I am saying - If i use this image on a HTML slideshow the image is taller than the un-cropped images and it get chopped.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

DoubleD wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:28 pm
cday wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:42 pm you would like the cropped image to be the same height as the original uncropped image?
Yes that is what I am saying - If i use this image on a HTML slideshow the image is taller than the un-cropped images and it get chopped.
A possible workaround, hardly an elegant solution, might be to try using a Canvas resize action to add blank white canvas above the cropped image that wouldn't, or mightn't, be visible when displaying the image that way...
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

cday wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:42 pm A possible workaround, hardly an elegant solution, might be to try using a Canvas resize action to add blank white canvas above the cropped image that wouldn't, or mightn't, be visible when displaying the image that way...
But would a canvas resize cut the image ? - I'll try
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

But wouldn't a canvas resize cut the image ? - I'll try
Canvas resize unlike Resize can be used to add new canvas of specified colour outside the source image, in this case white canvas above the image; alternatively, with different settings, the source image can also be cropped...

Hints if you need it:

Set Position to Bottom so that the new canvas is added above the existing image;

Uncheck Keep ratio as you are changing the ratio when you add blank canvas above the image;

Increase the pixel height of the image to add the required amount of new canvas;

Leave Backgound color as white, or edit as needed.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Wouldn't that make the image bigger or do I reduce the size of the canvas ?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

DoubleD wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:10 pm Wouldn't that make the image bigger or do I reduce the size of the canvas ?
If I understand, you don't want the cropped image to display at full height in the Explorer box, so the idea is to add white canvas above the cropped image that won't show: whether that will actually produce the display you want, you can only really find out by testing the idea.

I would suggest adding a fairly arbitrary amount of white canvas in an initial test, and if the benefit is confirmed then think about the height value required to give the exact result you need.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

I will give a try but I thing the proving ground will be in my HTML web page. The taller photo won't fit the space and I'll have to use background-size:contain or background-size:cover; which tend to make the photo fit but its not fool proof

Thanks for all your help
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

DoubleD wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:07 pm I will give a try but I thing the proving ground will be in my HTML web page. The taller photo won't fit the space and I'll have to use background-size:contain or background-size:cover; which tend to make the photo fit but its not fool proof

Thanks for all your help
My suggestion was based on my understanding of the problem and looking at the way your images displayed in Explorer, I would think there is very likely a better solution using HTML!!
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

cday wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:20 pm My suggestion was based on my understanding of the problem and looking at the way your images displayed in Explorer, I would think there is very likely a better solution using HTML!!
I was trying to simplify it, I just wanted to force the image height to 4000 pixels after cropping. Seems that depending on how the image is cropped. If i turn off keep ratio and force width 6000 and height 4000 it works but the image is a bit stretched. Why it it won't keep the height to 4000 with keep ratio is beyond me.

I do thank you for all you help