0.94.2: Metadata is not saved

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

cicciobello

0.94.2: Metadata is not saved

Post by cicciobello »

XnView MP 0.94.2 x64
MS Windows 7 SP1 x64 (tested on 2 different PC)

IPTC/XMP Caption (sometime) is not saved (80% times)

To reproduce:
Select 2 files
[Tools] [Metadata] [Edit IPTC/XMP...]
Modify Caption of 1st file
Press [Write]
Move to 2nd file using ">" button
Modify caption of 2nd file
Press [Write]
Move to 1st file using "<" button
Caption in 1st file sometime is NOT saved
Move to 2nd file using "<" button
Caption in 2nd file sometime is NOT saved

Actual behaviour (bug): Caption sometime is not saved

Expected behaviour: Caption is saved every time I press [Write]
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.94.2: Metadata is not saved

Post by xnview »

could you send me files to be able to reproduce?
Pierre.
cicciobello

Post by cicciobello »

Follow previous description (metadata not saved).
Attachments
0003.tif
(662.45 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
0002.tif
(707.12 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
fractl

Post by fractl »

XnView: XnView MP Linux, Version 0.94.3 64bits (Jan 14 2020)

I have this problem too, consistently reproducable just as cicciobello sets it out.

I just took the update to 0.94.3 (I might have missed the 0.94.2 release?), and suddenly, the caption editing feature, under [Edit IPTC/XMP] which I use all the time isn't working. Usually I'd just use the < or > button to move to the next image and that writes the caption, but for the first time it's stopped working even if I actually click on the Write button too.

It used to not work if I opened a single image and tried to use the new [Edit IPTC/XMP] button in that view, and it still doesn't, but I can live with that, not being able to edit captions at all is seriously hampering my photo processing workflow. :(
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cicciobello wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:09 pm Follow previous description (metadata not saved).
I can't reproduce, same with 0.95?
fractl wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:27 pm I have this problem too, consistently reproducable just as cicciobello sets it out.
Do you have 'don't load values' checked? Which options do you have?
Pierre.
cicciobello

Post by cicciobello »

Tested with 0.95 x64 on Win 7 x64.

Checkbox [ ] Don't load field values is unchecked.
All three checkbox in [Multiple selection] box is [X] checked.

The change to the existing caption is NOT saved.
If original caption is empty, caption is saved.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cicciobello wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:25 pm All three checkbox in [Multiple selection] box is [X] checked.

you must not have 'Replace only...' if field will not be overwritten
Pierre.
cicciobello

Post by cicciobello »

If is unchecked
[ ] Replace only if original value is empty
Caption modify works, but it is not possible to completely delete the contents of the Caption.
fractl

Post by fractl »

xnview wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:12 pm ...
fractl wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:27 pm I have this problem too, consistently reproducable just as cicciobello sets it out.
Do you have 'don't load values' checked? Which options do you have?
I'm not sure where to find "don't load values" setting - are you referring to the options in Edit IPTC/XMP dialog? I've attached a screenshot with my settings if that helps.

Returning to the problem and recreating it:
I think I see a link between trying to use the caption editing with more than one file at a time, and specifically UPDATING existing captions.

If I select one image, click on the "Edit IPTC/XMP" button, create / edit the caption and click "Write", the dialog closes and the caption is written. (If I change the caption and press Cancel, no changes happen, and this makes sense.)

If I select two images WITHOUT captions, and click on the "Edit IPTC/XMP" button, the first image opens in the dialog. I enter the first new caption and click ">" to move to the second image, enter the second new caption and press "Write". The dialog doesn't close and I have to hit Cancel to make it go away. (FWIW, I still feel that this is not intuitive behaviour and the button should be marked "Close", not Cancel.) This works and both images have got new captions.

Select the same two images again, and click on the "Edit IPTC/XMP" button. Update the first caption and click ">" to move to the second image, edit the second caption and choose "Write". Close the dialog using the Cancel button.
Result: Neither caption is updated.

I can make this happen repeatably. When going through a set of images to caption them before publishing, as soon as I come to an image without a caption, the new caption will be saved. Any images with existing captions, whether you are deleting the caption altogether, or just fixing a typo, the change is not saved.

I hope you can put this right - I'm wondering if I can resurrect 0.92 to get this functionality back in the meantime. :|
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-01-28_11-43-04.png
Screenshot_2020-01-28_11-43-04.png (25.53 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cicciobello wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:49 pm If is unchecked
[ ] Replace only if original value is empty
Caption modify works, but it is not possible to completely delete the contents of the Caption.
you need to disable 'Keep original values if..."
Pierre.
fractl

Post by fractl »

xnview wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:10 pm you need to disable 'Keep original values if..."
I'll try that when I get the new version to work again. (I'm back on 0.92 for now and 0.95 wouldn't run.) But unticking that box to make single caption editing work ?? It feels completely unintuitive, and more of a bug workaround than an actual way I'd expect a software interface to work. The whole Edit IPTC-IIM/XMP dialog box feels clunky - and more of a bolt-on than part of the main software, but it does the job it needs to. I hope it'll be possible to put it back how it was, because it's not an improvement having to tweak that setting to make something work that used to work fine. 8)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

fractl wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:41 pm
xnview wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:10 pm you need to disable 'Keep original values if..."
I'll try that when I get the new version to work again. (I'm back on 0.92 for now and 0.95 wouldn't run.) But unticking that box to make single caption editing work ?? It feels completely unintuitive, and more of a bug workaround than an actual way I'd expect a software interface to work. The whole Edit IPTC-IIM/XMP dialog box feels clunky - and more of a bolt-on than part of the main software, but it does the job it needs to. I hope it'll be possible to put it back how it was, because it's not an improvement having to tweak that setting to make something work that used to work fine. 8)
0.95 don't run??
But IPTC dialog was always like that
Pierre.
fractl

Post by fractl »

(Yes, 0.95 isn't working for me and I'm one of the people posting under that thread too.)

I've never unticked that box before - it seems like it would be really dangerous. If I had a pile of photos selected and accidentally hit Write All, I'd throw away all my captions, potentially hours of work, and no Undo option.

In 0.92 it works repeatably (and I've just retested), no problems at all, with all 3 options enabled just as I showed in my earlier screenshot.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

fractl wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:09 pm In 0.92 it works repeatably (and I've just retested), no problems at all, with all 3 options enabled just as I showed in my earlier screenshot.
In 0.92, there was a bug, 'Write' doesn't use options
Pierre.
HawkFest

Post by HawkFest »

Using version 0.98.3, it doesn't work either, not even with the "Write" button, whatever the field that's being edited