How to move xnview.db

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

unqltango

How to move xnview.db

Post by unqltango »

Hi,

XNview MP 0.94.2, W10 Professional

I was searching for a while the forum, but couldn't find an answer (people usually want to move their pictures and not the db).

My xnview.db file is 87MB and is located on an older HDD. At the moment and when I work with categories, adding/removing keywords can take 2-4 seconds, while xnview is completely unresponsive (I even get the "Not responding" warning from W10 regularly). I think it is because xnview updating the db with the categories information. I have thousands more photos and other media to keyword, so the db will increase significantly in the future.

I want to move the xnview.db to an SSD. Besides moving it to the new drive manually, what else do I need to do?

Thanks,
Tango
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: How to move xnview.db

Post by xnview »

unqltango wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:52 am adding/removing keywords can take 2-4 seconds, while xnview is completely unresponsive (I even get the "Not responding" warning from W10 regularly).
do you have a lot of categories??
I want to move the xnview.db to an SSD. Besides moving it to the new drive manually, what else do I need to do?
Save the .db, in Settings>Integration>Paths, change the paths, and copy your .db in the new pathname
Pierre.
unqltango

Post by unqltango »

xnview wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:24 am
unqltango wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:52 am adding/removing keywords can take 2-4 seconds, while xnview is completely unresponsive (I even get the "Not responding" warning from W10 regularly).
do you have a lot of categories??
Yes, 2400+ lines in the exported Categories.txt.

unqltango wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 am I want to move the xnview.db to an SSD. Besides moving it to the new drive manually, what else do I need to do?
xnview wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:24 am Save the .db, in Settings>Integration>Paths, change the paths, and copy your .db in the new pathname
Thank you, I will do it tonight.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

unqltango wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:18 am Yes, 2400+ lines in the exported Categories.txt.
and how many files in the catalog?
Pierre.
unqltango

Post by unqltango »

xnview wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:48 am
unqltango wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:18 am Yes, 2400+ lines in the exported Categories.txt.
and how many files in the catalog?
I don't know exactly, around 700 directories. Close to a TB of media, mostly pictures. It is a loooong list. :)