Microsoft Store App Icons Displayed Incorrectly in the Start Menu

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

TheGuyInTheChair

Microsoft Store App Icons Displayed Incorrectly in the Start Menu

Post by TheGuyInTheChair »

Hello,

I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 build 1909 64-bit, and then downloaded and installed XnView MP 64-bit successfully. After I installed the program, I registered it to open image files. It now shows up as my default photo viewer under "Settings" -> "Apps" -> "Default Apps", which is what I want.

However, when I open the Start Menu, only the icons for Microsoft Store apps—not non-Microsoft Store software—become XnView MP "PNG" icons. Here are some screenshots that show what I'm talking about:

You can see that in the second image, the application icons for Firefox and AdGuard—software that isn't downloaded from the Microsoft Store—are displayed correctly. Yet the other three are apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store, and their icons aren't displayed correctly! :shock:

How can I fix this problem (without uninstalling XnView MP)?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Microsoft Store App Icons Displayed Incorrectly in the Start Menu

Post by xnview »

sorry but i don't know, i can't reproduce
Pierre.
TheGuyInTheChair

I think it might have something to do with the file associations. I used the file association tool bundled with XnView MP to associate image files (such as .ico and .png) with XnView MP. Then I also changed the default image viewer in the Windows 10 Settings (Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps) to use XnView MP. That caused the problem for me.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

TheGuyInTheChair wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:44 pm I think it might have something to do with the file associations. I used the file association tool bundled with XnView MP to associate image files (such as .ico and .png) with XnView MP. Then I also changed the default image viewer in the Windows 10 Settings (Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps) to use XnView MP. That caused the problem for me.
you means "Associate files with XnViewMP"?
Pierre.
TheGuyInTheChair

xnview wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:42 am
TheGuyInTheChair wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:44 pm I think it might have something to do with the file associations. I used the file association tool bundled with XnView MP to associate image files (such as .ico and .png) with XnView MP. Then I also changed the default image viewer in the Windows 10 Settings (Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps) to use XnView MP. That caused the problem for me.
you means "Associate files with XnViewMP"?
Yes, that's the tool. It's a separate EXE in the program installation directory. I used that tool, then changed the default image viewer (in Windows 10 Settings) to XnView MP. That part is a good thing; I want to use XnView MP as my default image viewer. But I also don't want the Start Menu icons to have a default "PNG" icon from XnView MP.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you don't need to use it, but Windows settings
Pierre.
pr1970

Post by pr1970 »

I`m having the same issue, i had this on my old pc. I`ve just built a new pc and everything was fine until i installed Xnview. Now loads of my windows icons have been replaced. It seems to effect windows search, rather than the start menu icons.
firefox_kLfeeoRxAH.png
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

pr1970 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:30 pm I`m having the same issue, i had this on my old pc. I`ve just built a new pc and everything was fine until i installed Xnview. Now loads of my windows icons have been replaced. It seems to effect windows search, rather than the start menu icons.
All icons?? do you have used the setup?
Pierre.
pr1970

Post by pr1970 »

I used xnview setup if you mean. It's not all icons but majority.
Windows store
calculator
calender
camera
Nvidia control panel
alarms and clock
Minecraft
+more

it's in the search of windows. all have been replaced with xnview PNG icon. I had this happen on another pc.
any ideas?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

pr1970 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:01 pm I used xnview setup if you mean. It's not all icons but majority.
I'm not able to reproduce. Windows 10 x64? which build version?
Pierre.
Reav

Post by Reav »

Hello,

I have the same problem. I don't think it is related with icons or file associations. I removed the program, made a reset of default aps etc, repaired/reset/uninstalled the windows store app. Nothing works for this.
calc_search.png
calc_icon.png
calc_icon.png (78.86 KiB) Viewed 4195 times

I have found some settings which may be related with the problem
xn-thumbnails.png
Please let me know if you find anything,

Regards
pr1970

Post by pr1970 »

II`m using windows pro 10.0.19041 Build 19041 . I`ve seen this on old versions of windows aswell.
I removed xnview and tried all manner of icon rebuilds,etc. But now i`m just stuck with just an image thumbnail for lots of applications.
calc_46feIjNxOj.png
Its like xnview went around and associated itself with everything, an now lots of icons are just image thumbnails rather than the original. I`ve tried uninstalling the calculator and reinstalling but it hasnt fixed it.

Its mainly when you do a search aswell. Lots of windows apps like edge, clock, xbox game bar,etc all are replaced in search. I tried updating the windows indexing but that didnt change anything.

This is edge as a search result.
firefox_87pgNXQPGG.png
You can see the icon is ok in the start menu
firefox_cDrljGmA7T.png
firefox_cDrljGmA7T.png (96.34 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

pr1970 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:09 am II`m using windows pro 10.0.19041 Build 19041 . I`ve seen this on old versions of windows aswell.
I removed xnview and tried all manner of icon rebuilds,etc. But now i`m just stuck with just an image thumbnail for lots of applications.
I've tried on Windows 10 build 1903 or 2004, and no problem. You have that after installing the setup of XnView MP?
Pierre.
pr1970

Post by pr1970 »

It was xnview classic i installed. Even if now i`ve uninstalled xnview and i install new software i still get the xnview icon logo, looks like the png icon.
But it only seems to be in windows search, the program is ok if its in the start menu. the icon is correct . but windows search always shows the xnview icon.