Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by your answer.Rick wrote: ↑Mon May 04, 2020 7:07 pmI dislike when I ask something and the forum rats reply with something like "You shouldn't want to DO that" but I have to ask if there is not a better keyword strategy that using 2900 keywords? I use several per picture and if I check say animal and child I get a different result than Human and Child the point being to get a list I can scroll through rather than just a couple of photos. Please just think about it before respondingunqltango wrote: ↑Mon May 04, 2020 6:29 am The performance issue is definitely caused by the large amount of Categories (2900+ in my case). It impacts all the regular usage of the tool, for example if I just doubleclick in Total Commander on a regular, unkeyworded photo, the loading time of the photo is very slow and I have to wait several seconds before I can switch to another photo by PgUp/PgDn.
I deleted my Categories and the tool sped up again.
Conclusion: XnView can't be used for keywording in its current state, because a large amount of Categories makes the main function (open and look at pictures) very slow and problematic.
And again there is no implied criticism of the way you work or what your needs may be.
I'm sure there are better ways to do keywording. If I'd do this professionally (as I did about 10 years ago), I would do it differently. But I do this for myself now and the requirements are different. I can use words and expressions more freely, I don't have to comply to a plethora of keywording rules, because the media I'm keywording will not be sold on stock sites. This also means I have more keywords than I usually would have.
What I wrote is accurate. XnView lags so badly because of the keywords, that it became a constant annoyance. Please don't misunderstand, I very much like XnView, IMHO the best tool in its category. I use it for some different purposes as well, like editing, converting pictures, etc. I was really happy when I learned that I can use it for keywording too, because the other tools were lacking in this area badly, compared to XnView.
Alas, the usage brought out some issues, I reported them over the months, none of them are fixed yet, but that I could live with, I learned to work around them. I'm patient in that regard, I know Pierre has a thousand other issues to work on.
But this performance issue is so bad that I have to move my keywording to an other tool (which has zero problem of handling this many keywords/media). Thankfully I can do that by exporting the keyword and media database to txt/xml and I won't lose any done work.
I will still use XnView for other things, now that I deleted my keywords from it, it is usable again.