Linux: Browsing external drives

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

michaelmuck

Linux: Browsing external drives

Post by michaelmuck »

Hi!
I just came across his wonderful tool and would like to use it to check many image folders on external drives.
Unfortunately I don't see the /media/... folder in the folder tree where all the image folders could be found.
If I open a file from the file manager in xnview MP it creates a copy in the folder /run/user/1000/doc/a37cd2ef.
the last folder with a random name is created for every single file I open from an external drive.

Is there any way I can directly browse external drives in xnview MP?

That would be a wonderful thing :-)

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Attachments
where_is_the_media_folder.png
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: browsing external drives in Linux

Post by xnview »

it's not XnView that create these files, do you have installed the .deb?
Pierre.
meydenis

Post by meydenis »

I've got the exact same issue on LinuxMint Xfce.
Has somebody found a solution to sort this issue out?
Many thanks
Bforestrunner

Post by Bforestrunner »

Hello :-)
I have the same problem. Just installed XnView MP in Manjaro Linux as a Flatpak package. Runs wonderful but registered a s a default app for images - because ist so blazingly fast ;-) - the problem is that only the clicked image is seen and there is no option to see the next or before picture in the directory because the image will be copied before to a "/run/user/1000/doc" folder. And there is just that file...so its correct what XnView does or react. But why is the image copied to /run/user/1000/doc ? Is that a flatpak "effect". Because of isolation / sandboxing ? Should that possibly adresses to the flatpak maintainer ? Best regards,
Mike ;-)
Bforestrunner

Re: Linux: Browsing external drives

Post by Bforestrunner »

So I will answer my question by myself: just removed the flatpak version of XnView and installed the AUR version in Manjaro and now it works as desired. No obscure temp folder will be used any more and viewing back and forth works perfect. So the temp folder thing is just a flatpak "problem". Would be interesting though if that is real error in packaging or a design thing of flatpak images and if that could be changed / tuned whatever. I like those flatpak/Snap or appimage techniques...but they should have no crippled functionality.

best regards,
Mike