Creation of .bak and .xmp files during tagging.

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Cnstairs

Creation of .bak and .xmp files during tagging.

Post by Cnstairs »

Hello
I've been using XnView MP to add keywords to my photos all of which are on a network drive. I have about 5000 done and I noticed a lot of the more recent ones that I did didn't have the keywords added to the file if I look at the Properties window on Windows 10. They do appear under the categories sets, assigned tab in XnView. I checked the export DB category box under settings\metadata and now it will add the keywords to the file. So for the files that didn't contain the keywords in the properties window I selected a folder of pictures and ran View/update files from catalogue. This worked for the .jpg files, the keywords are now there if I look at the properties window, but not the .nef files. But it also creates a .bak file for every .jpg and a .xmp file for every .nef file. This is taking up more space and becoming very cluttered. In XnView the .jpg and nef file shows the keywords under assigned categories, but not the .bak or .xmp files. The .xmp files contain the information in the file itself.

Is there a way to update without creating these new files? Also is there a way to add the info directly to the .nef files? I've tried to include a screenshot of the settings that are checked under metadata.

https://goo.gl/photos/Mij5Jib8P8waH9Dn8

Thank-you
Enrico_xyz

Re: Creation of .bak and .xmp files during tagging.

Post by Enrico_xyz »

Hello all,
I've the same problem. To solve this I went to Settings > General > File Operations and unchecked "Make backup for other lossless operations", in fact, all three "Make Backup" options are unchecked. I closed and restarted.
Unfortunatley the problem still exists and new .bak files will be created after a metadata change.

Any help here would be really appreciated.

(64-bit Windows 7 Pro / XnView MP Version 0.97.1)

best regards
Enrico
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

"Make Backup" options are unchecked and you have always .bak? How do you tag files? which format?
Pierre.
Enrico_xyz

Post by Enrico_xyz »

Correct, I've deactivated the "Make Backup" options and aftwards the .bak files will be still created.
I've seen this behavior for the tag format XMP and also if I diselect XMP and change to IPTC the .bak file will be created.
Attachments
screenshot_settings.JPG
screenshot_settings.JPG (50.43 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Enrico_xyz wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:59 pm Correct, I've deactivated the "Make Backup" options and aftwards the .bak files will be still created.
I've seen this behavior for the tag format XMP and also if I diselect XMP and change to IPTC the .bak file will be created.
how do you tag your files?
Pierre.
Enrico_xyz

Post by Enrico_xyz »

I've seems that I've found the cause now. The related files were set to "write-protected". I assume that based on this denied write access the.bak files were created. I've diselect "write-protected" now and no .bak files will be created after a new tagging anymore :)
HolyField

Post by HolyField »

Enrico_xyz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:38 pm I've seems that I've found the cause now. The related files were set to "write-protected". I assume that based on this denied write access the.bak files were created. I've diselect "write-protected" now and no .bak files will be created after a new tagging anymore :)
God, bless a forums!
The same problem is solved. Thanks a lot.