Question about an option for fit image to height

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

klaus2

Question about an option for fit image to height

Post by klaus2 »

Dear XnView'ers,

sorry, i don't want to bother you because i can imagine that you are very busy. Only one question: what do you think about to add an option for the following autosize behaviour?

- user sets option "fit image to heigth"
- so, a small image will e.g. stretch in height to fit into the user-defined window heigth
-> and now, by a new option, its possible too that the width of the viewer window adapts/autosizes to the new image width

( ==> window height is fix, window width would be calculated)
at least for me, it would be a very desirable usage of the space.

Kind Regards,
klaus2
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: question about an option for fit image to height

Post by xnview »

klaus2 wrote:sorry, i don't want to bother you because i can imagine that you are very busy. Only one question: what do you think about to add an option for the following autosize behaviour?

- user sets option "fit image to heigth"
- so, a small image will e.g. stretch in height to fit into the user-defined window heigth
-> and now, by a new option, its possible too that the width of the viewer window adapts/autosizes to the new image width

( ==> window height is fix, window width would be calculated)
at least for me, it would be a very desirable usage of the space.
So an option "fit image to window height" & "force xnview to fit image"?
Pierre.
klaus2

Post by klaus2 »

Hi.

thanks a lot for attention!
if it achieves the result, yes ..
the result is:
- image fits to user-defined window height
- then, viewer's window width fits to the "new" image width

kind regards!
klaus2
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Maybe "Fit from inside" (width and height).
klaus2

Post by klaus2 »

... not sure ... maybe "fit image to height, [but] autosize horizontally" ?
klaus2

Post by klaus2 »

Hello,

one question left: has it a chance to be implemented?

Kind Regards,
klaus2
helmut

Post by helmut »

klaus2 wrote:one question left: has it a chance to be implemented?
If a request/option is helpful and not hard to implement, it's likely that it will be implemented in the next major release. But only Pierre can definetely say and make promises.

Could you explain a bit what the benefit of this new option is? Also, I wonder whether this should be symmetric: if there's a fit image to height, there should be also a Fit image to width.
klaus2

Post by klaus2 »

Hi Helmut,

the request is very simple and analogue to the way "fit image to deskop, all" already is working ...

If you have a (user-) defined height of the window (fit image to window height) the image should not only enlarge to the window height (as it is already the case), but optionally the width of the window should adapt to the new resulting image width -> no horizontal scrollbars (if image bigger), no gray frames (if iamge smaller), but simply a window width that accords to the image width.

Before:
After:

What is the benefit? ... Simply space economy ... you're seeing the complete image :-) and not only a part of it :-( (scrollbars) or vertical gray bars as indicators of wasted space :-( ...

You are right: of course (speaking about symetry) an analogue request regarding "fit image to window width" would be possible, ... theoretically ... but ... i really dont't know if anybody wants to have it.

I would be *very very very* happy to be able to define my viewer window height and see the full image (regarding the x-axis) though ...
Thats my biggest wish to xnview. Comparable viewers do indeed allow such behaviour but i would prefer to have it in xnview too, because i would like to see it as my favorite viewer and kick the others off.

Do you see any chance to accept the request??
Please ask Pierre, it should not cost much efforts.

Kind Regards,
klaus2
klaus2

Post by klaus2 »

Hello dear Xnview'ers,

because i like xnview very much and i'm very interested to see this functionality integrated, i try to underline my intention with a picture. Maybe its more clear then. At least in my eyes it's a very basic functionality for a picture viewer: user defines a window heigth, the image adapts to it and then the window width accords to the image width.

So, it should not look like (wasted space):

Or, it should not look like (truncated, horizontal scrolbars):

But (with an additonal option for "fit image to window height") it should look like THAT:

Please please answer to me: Is that request (horizontal autosize option for the "fit image to window height") good in your eyes .... and has it a chance?

Kind regards,
klaus2
helmut

Post by helmut »

klaus2 wrote:Hello dear Xnview'ers,

because i like xnview very much and i'm very interested to see this functionality integrated, i try to underline my intention with a picture. Maybe its more clear then. At least in my eyes it's a very basic functionality for a picture viewer: user defines a window heigth, the image adapts to it and then the window width accords to the image width.
Thank you, Klaus for the sample images, it's much clearer, now. :-)
klaus2 wrote:Please please answer to me: Is that request (horizontal autosize option for the "fit image to window height") good in your eyes .... and has it a chance?
Now that I understand what you want, but I still cannot really say whether it's useful or not. Perhaps other people can help out and comment this.

I have some concern: If you have a very heigh but narrow image, the main window of XnView will resize to that and would be very narrow. Toolbar and menu will become almost unusable, then. So if something like this was introduced, there should be something like a minimum size.
klaus2

Post by klaus2 »

Hello Helmut,

very happy about that finally i succeeded to clarify that issue :-) :-) [in german: schwitz!! ]

in my eyes it is useful because you'll see the FULL image (no truncations ..) and it's the intuitive way of image presentation.

i really HOPE very much it will have some votes ..

i assumed having defined a "diferent size for browser and viewer", of course (i know this topic is another story); no pbl to restrict the option eg. for having defined that setting (different size) .... )
minsize, to be given -> no problem
maxisze -> desktop size or somthing like that -> no problem
To my opintion of course the main window (browser) should never been affected by that; i fully agree your concern.

Kind Regards!
klaus2
klaus2

Post by klaus2 »

hi,

no responses ... better to open a fresh thread using the images shown above so that the req ist better understandable?

klaus2
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

klaus2 wrote:hi,

no responses ... better to open a fresh thread using the images shown above so that the req ist better understandable?
About your example, you can do that by setting "Fit to desktop" & "fit XnView", no?
Pierre.
klaus2

Post by klaus2 »

Hi Pierre,

unfortunately not :-(

"fit xnview"? Do you mean "Force Xnview to fit image" ? If yes: that one is grayed out when selecting "fit to desktop" ..

Anyhow: "fit to desktop" may already behave similiar (as it indeed autosizes the window width),
but the viewer window heigth is predefined to the desktop heigth and not user definable.

What i mean is a favorite user defined viewer window height (fit image to window height)
plus an option for autocalculation of the viewer window width (.... like "fit to desktop" already does).

Important 1: as option .. (Something like: fit image to height, autosize horizontally )
Important 2: probably it is not wanted that the browser size is affected, so the option may be
allowed only if "use different size for viewer and browser" is set, for instance ...

Whats your opinion? At least for me, i miss that option very much.

Kind Regards,
klaus2
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

klaus2 wrote:Whats your opinion? At least for me, i miss that option very much.
Ok, so you need to set a favorite height value, and widith will be computed.
Right?
Pierre.