Quick save as ususal types

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Re: You are off topic

Post by helmut »

<Moderator's note: This post has been edited>
Last edited by helmut on Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Re: You are off topic

Post by Olivier_G »

Clo wrote::arrow: Olivier_G & Dreamer
- I have launched that thread about a very old suggestion I sent to Pierre ages ago, and for a very specific saving with buttons, as optional, not with anything else.
- Maybe do you not like this idea, but changing the types list or so is off topic, there's another thread for that…
I have to admit that this response looked a bit like a "mind your own business" to Dreamer and I... when all we were trying to do was to discuss further several options to improve XnView... :(

Olivier
PS: and it is not about changing types list... but about using it to improve the use on this very topic.
Irving

Post by Irving »

Quote:
…90 percent of those file types in the list I've never heard of and will never see.

- Same here… However, there are formats for the various UN*X based-OSs, and too now formats for digital cameras (I guess, I've not any digital camera yet)

That's why I "left some room" with 10 percent. :D

(to all - I'm kind of new here, so don't want to look like I'm in the middle of a debate. I just saw the thread was bumped and like the dialog box suggestion).
Clo
XnThusiast

Here? No !

Post by Clo »

<Moderator's note: This post has been edited>
< Clo's note : this post has been destroyed by Helmut because some unwarranted personal grievances against me. >
Last edited by Clo on Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
ouistiti

Post by ouistiti »

2 Moderator
This removing proves that you don't like the truth… That reply was polite, and did not contain any insult.
Paul
L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

Irving

Post by Irving »

to Clo:

- Same here… However, there are formats for the various UN*X based-OSs, and too now formats for digital cameras (I guess, I've not any digital camera yet)

I've only had one since August 1st, and am no expert, and had to do months of studying before settling on my model. I've seen that for all cameras .jpg's are an available format, plus some of the better ones have .tif, and even less offer RAW.

(The thing about RAW images is that you pretty much have to know the camera makers settings, so what I'm saying is that RAW isn't "standard" like a .jpg or a .bmp, so a person can't and shouldn't fault XnView if images aren't handled properly, if at all).

I posted three links to camera review sites, where anyone can learn the most commonly available formats in use by cameras.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

http://www.digital-photography-resource ... .php?cat=1

http://www.digicamreview.com/photos/gallery/

If nothing else, you can while away the time with some nice images.
Clo
XnThusiast

Good links

Post by Clo »

:) Useful links, thank you, Irving !

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I'll try to split this topic, not remove posts, just create new topic and copy some suggestions there.
Clo
XnThusiast

<Better>

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Dreamer

:) Hi !
Thanks, it's more reasonable, there are two different ways, and it's that I would do on another forum where I'm a Mod ;)

- And be sure I don't like such rows, it's well known elsewhere…

Claude
Clo

Re: Good links

Post by Guest »

Clo wrote::) Useful links, thank you, Irving !

Claude
Clo
You're welcome, and be prepared to dream and want! :D
Clo
XnThusiast

In the practice…

Post by Clo »

:) Hello All !

- I continued to think to and polish up that idea, despite the lack of feedback from the author…

- The "layout-improvement" of the types in the list is really a poor thing, and doesn't the trick still for my jobs, and certainly for others.
- So, I show below how the additional part of the “Save as…” dialogue able to contain the buttons could look - remade and a bit simplified -.
- This is a semi-fake, since I used a ressource editor to draw it from the (almost empty) original …

——————Image

• There is a single “Wildcard” type, to choose from the scrolling-list beside it; the chosen type stays visible in the list which stays "frozen" there.
• The “Apply” button validates this type for the “Wildcard” button.

• The “Cancel” button undoes that choice (could be named “Remove” as well…) if one needs to change the wildcard-type. Also, it unlocks the list to choose another type.

• A tick box allows to enable¦disable the type-buttons and the alternative path feature, but not the “Options” button.

• Other items are the same than in the original proposal.
- “Copy the head-path” is just facilities to start a big job with a couple of different output directories.
- “Save HERE ——>” might take precedence to impose the alternative path to save (so, disable the Win address bar path in that case).
- If not used, the file is saved according to the address bar path.

• Below, a variant having both a usual "Cancel" button and a "Remove" one to change the wildcard :

——————Image

¤ Note : I used a very narrow font here to get a small picture. But I could show too the same in French as a usual size… 8)

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

I think the problem presented by Clo in the first post is blown out of proportions.
What's the problem with setting most used filetypes with Write>Filetypes and then choosing them by click on list and then pressing letter?
You want BMP, you click list and press B, you want then JPG at the next save, you click the list and press J.
From what I understood, proposed solution is not even more ergonomic number-of-clicks wise.

I think that for a problem of type 'take a set of pictures and convert them one-by-one to different locations' the only addition could be adding a list with history of used paths.

X.
Clo
XnThusiast

The big piece

Post by Clo »

:) Hi L. !

• You don't get the entire issue, I guess. Yes, any fleeting list is boring in the jobs I have to do, besides, I can't use the keys a lot; but there is also the problem to alternate continually two target-paths, and it's not solved by a list…

Claude
Clo
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

So maybe change in workflow.

What and why is what you really do? Like, fe. you get images from your digital camera and then you convert for display on the web page and for sending via email, neither using the same format or filesieze.

Maybe there is a simple workflow-based solution.

X.
Clo
XnThusiast

Help and Tutorials---

Post by Clo »

:) Hi L. !

- I don't own any digital camera ! Please, just read the previous message of the thread from the start…
- The issue is that I make screen shots (a lot often) to create ¦ translate ¦ update Help folders and Manuals; for the most ones, I must save as BMP prior in a storage folder (where I'll pack them later), make changes ¦ retouch¦ then save as PNG into the using folder - always else, of course -, look at the result on the spot…
…make another retouch eventually, and so on for the others.
- For instance, when I've to show menus, the BMP step is mandatory since I'm bound to capture the whole screen (if you touch <Alt>, the menus escape !), crop the image, hide the useless parts in Paint then save as PNG. And so on…
If you would plan to save all BMP as PNG with a batch conversion, you would be quickly lost !

:mrgreen: K R
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.