"Confirm File Delete" does not work properly

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

TheEvilHammer

"Confirm File Delete" does not work properly

Post by TheEvilHammer »

In "Options->General", I have "Confirm file delete" checked, but when I attempt to delete a file, there is no confirmation and the file is immediately deleted. I'm assuming this is a bug...
Lesmo16

Re: Confirm File Delete

Post by Lesmo16 »

TheEvilHammer wrote:In "Options->General", I have "Confirm file delete" checked, but when I attempt to delete a file, there is no confirmation and the file is immediately deleted. I'm assuming this is a bug...
I can't confirm this.
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Confirm File Delete

Post by xnview »

Lesmo16 wrote:
TheEvilHammer wrote:In "Options->General", I have "Confirm file delete" checked, but when I attempt to delete a file, there is no confirmation and the file is immediately deleted. I'm assuming this is a bug...
I can't confirm this.
Me too...
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I can confirm this, but I'm not sure if it's a bug, XnView is not the only program with this behavior. You must have "Display delete conf. dialog" option under "Recycle bin prop." disabled, I think.
Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

Dreamer wrote:I can confirm this, but I'm not sure if it's a bug, XnView is not the only program with this behavior. You must have "Display delete conf. dialog" option under "Recycle bin prop." disabled, I think.
Right, I've this option checked - Dreamer, you did a good job! :)
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:I can confirm this, but I'm not sure if it's a bug, XnView is not the only program with this behavior. You must have "Display delete conf. dialog" option under "Recycle bin prop." disabled, I think.
Oh right, i didn't know this option... :-(
Pierre.
TheEvilHammer

Post by TheEvilHammer »

Yup, that's it - I have that option disabled in my Recycle Bin properties, so that must be why a confirmation doesn't show up in XnView. Maybe XnView should have its own internal confirmation box? Or perhaps a disclaimer next to the option? Otherwise, the option could be misleading...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

TheEvilHammer wrote:Yup, that's it - I have that option disabled in my Recycle Bin properties, so that must be why a confirmation doesn't show up in XnView. Maybe XnView should have its own internal confirmation box? Or perhaps a disclaimer next to the option? Otherwise, the option could be misleading...
I use win32 API for that, and windows use this option :-( I can't override this setting.
Pierre.
TheEvilHammer

Post by TheEvilHammer »

If you use the Win32 API for this functionality, and you can't override the setting, then why is there an option for it?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

TheEvilHammer wrote:If you use the Win32 API for this functionality, and you can't override the setting, then why is there an option for it?
If setting is set to confirm
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
TheEvilHammer wrote:If you use the Win32 API for this functionality, and you can't override the setting, then why is there an option for it?
I think EvilHammer wonders why there is a setting provided by Windows and the same setting in XnView. I think reason is clear, Pierre didn't know about this setting.

Question is whether we should keep both settings or not. Often people (including me) ask that XnView should behave like Windows Explorer. So I tend to say that there should be no setting in XnView.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:
I think EvilHammer wonders why there is a setting provided by Windows and the same setting in XnView. I think reason is clear, Pierre didn't know about this setting.

Question is whether we should keep both settings or not. Often people (including me) ask that XnView should behave like Windows Explorer. So I tend to say that there should be no setting in XnView.
But many users don't konw about the windows settings, and i'm not sure this one exists on 95/98
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Pierre, maybe you could add some note there "Depends on option...".
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

If "Confirm file delete" doesn't, due to recycle bin, then this isn't really an option as it cannot control anything.

My situation I have some RAW files on USB KEY. USB KEY doesn't delete to recycle bin, so actually I can lose my files due to these 2 settings:

1) "Confirm file delete" doesn't confirm
2) recycle bin api just deletes for removable disks

this means safest option == lost files.