EXIF rotations are wrong

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

foggy

EXIF rotations are wrong

Post by foggy »

Hi, I noticed a bug in Xnview 1.80.3.

Essentially, in browser view it will display the thumbnails correctly and rotate it the proper direction, however it will display the main picture (after pressing enter for example) unrotated.

And if you click jpeg lossless transformations to rotate based on EXIF value, it does nothing (actually the thumbnails are rotated the wrong way but the main image does not rotate at all). When you rotate 90 degrees left/right or whatever, it is completely wrong and rotates it 180 degrees.

Anyone experience this problem in general with EXIF rotations?
foggy

Post by foggy »

sorry, btw this is on XP Pro, to reproduce it is simply to use a digital camera - either canon or nikon and upload the pictures (jpg) to hdd for viewing.
Lesmo16

Re: EXIF rotations are wrong

Post by Lesmo16 »

foggy wrote:Essentially, in browser view it will display the thumbnails correctly and rotate it the proper direction, however it will display the main picture (after pressing enter for example) unrotated.
Can't reproduce this behaviour with any kind of option setting, altough I'm using same version and same OS. :?

BTW: I'm using Canon IXUS 400
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
helmut

Post by helmut »

foggy wrote:Essentially, in browser view it will display the thumbnails correctly and rotate it the proper direction, however it will display the main picture (after pressing enter for example) unrotated.
By default, XnView 1.80 auto-rotates the images according to the EXIF orientation flag. If thumbnail or image is rotated wrong there are two possible reasons:

1. The rotation of the EXIF thumbnail does not match the rotation of the image.
2. The orientation flag mismatches the rotation that is really needed for image and/or thumbnail.

Please uncheck the setting "Options > Browser > Thumbnail > "Use embedded thumbnail" and see what happens. This will help to find the reason of your problem.

The topics below also have interesting info related to your problem
- Image view and Thumbnail don't match
- How to rotate images automatically
Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

helmut wrote:1. The rotation of the EXIF thumbnail does not match the rotation of the image.
2. The orientation flag mismatches the rotation that is really needed for image and/or thumbnail.
1. Is possible if the user modified (rotated) the image before, with a graphics application that doesn't update the embedded thumbnail - like xnView.
2. see 1. - otherwise the camera itself caused this.
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!