Screenshot import

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

marsh wrote:True in basic mode. See it and basic buttons by closing browser, but not closing program. :)
Call me stupid ...
... what is "Basic Mode"?

Either everybody uses terms as he likes, or I haven't RTFM! :mrgreen:

I thought it's that mode, that starts first (basicly) - in my case the Browser.

So please anybody tell me: What is basic mode? :?
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
Clo
XnThusiast

Empty main window…

Post by Clo »

:D Hello !

- IMHO, I think that is the main "View" window like it's when you start XnView "as is", I mean : not any picture displayed.

- The wording about this might be standardized, I guess…
• For years, I call that "the main window at the start-up time…" like HERE;)

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Lesmo16

Re: Empty main window…

Post by Lesmo16 »

Clo wrote:IMHO, I think that is the main "View" window like it's when you start XnView "as is", I mean : not any picture displayed.
IMHO, it's that mode/view, that's displayed by first start after installation ---> the Browser.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Lesmo16 wrote:
marsh wrote:True in basic mode. See it and basic buttons by closing browser, but not closing program. :)
Call me stupid ...
I've introduced the term "Basic mode" some years ago when partly re-writing the XnView Online help. At that time the browser was not automatically opened when starting XnView. I found it important to give things a name, so "Basic mode" is the mode when no window is opened (even no browser window). (RTFM, Lesmo ;-) )
Last edited by helmut on Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

helmut wrote:
Lesmo16 wrote:
Call me stupid ...
I've introduced the term "Basic mode" some years ago when partly re-writing the XnView Online help. At that time the browser was not automatically opened when starting XnView. I found it important to give things a name, so "Basic mode" is the mode when no window is opened (including browser windows). (RTFM, Lesmo ;-) )
If I understood everything right:
Actually xnView starts as Browser - the former "Basic mode" doesn't exist anymore.
--> So we shouldn't use the term "Basic mode" anymore - right? :P

Now, let's return to the main goal of this thread: Someone (thire in this case) wanted to paste a copied screenshot from clipboard to xnView.

Now I must quote myself:
Lesmo16 wrote:There's <F7> for "New Folder", which creates a new folder in the current folder.
So what about <Shift+F4> and a Edit-menu entry "New File", which creates a new file in the current folder.
Should be first a temp file, regardless the later file format.
The user can paste the screenshot from clipboard as assumed - with <Ctrl+V>.
Now the user can save the new file in the desired file format.
Could that be a solution to thire's request, or not? :|
Clo
XnThusiast

OPTION !

Post by Clo »

:) Hi again !
Actually xnView starts as Browser - the former "Basic mode" doesn't exist anymore.
• It starts the browser only if you keep the Option >> Browser >> Launch browser at Start Up ticked. Here, the nick is always removed, so it starts in the "View" mode, with the minimal buttons / menus for an empty window… Hence, you can't say that the "Basic mode" or whatever it may be called no longer exists…
- In that situation, right, the "Edit menu" is missing, others are reduced and commands like <thire> wishes are missing…
And the current shortcut to paste an image from the Clipboard has been changed to Shift+Ctrl+V, that is not handy really…

Claude
Clo
Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

Well, I've completely read this thread again ...

... and I must say: :shock: What a bunch of vague information about "Basic mode".

But there was a very precisely discription, which I didn't realize before (sorry!):
marsh wrote:See it and basic buttons by closing browser, but not closing program. :)
So the solution is easier than I ever thought:

File -> "New" with shortcut Ctrl+N (like in hundreds other apps) opens a file, where the user can paste the clipboard.
Afterwards it can be saved in desired file format.

BTW: This could be the solution for all modes.
Clo
XnThusiast

Suitable---

Post by Clo »

:) Hello (3) !

File -> "New" with shortcut Ctrl+N (like in hundreds other apps) opens a file, where the user can paste the clipboard.

• That could be a suitable solution, I support.

Claude
Clo
helmut

Post by helmut »

thire wrote:I'm happy! :) :D
thire wanted a way to import the clipboard and we have told him. And he's happy. So I think the main discussion is finished and we can continue with the off-topic part, now.
Last edited by helmut on Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:In basic mode (no window opened), there is no menu "Edit" (at the moment). So I think you're question which probably targets at unifying the menu for "Import Clipboard" has only one answer at the moment.

Personally I prefer the "Edit" menu. Users are used to have the Clipboard stuff in menu "Edit".
So i add a menu edit in basic mode? And show all button like view mode?
First off, I think we should be aware that we talk about a minor problem, here. As we now by now, some people have never seen the Basic mode until now.

As written in a previous post, it's hard to decide which main menu to use for "Import Clipboard":
Menu "Edit" is "clipboard stuff", menu "File" is for opening and creating files, so both makes sense in some way. But Drahken's comment above made me think:

1.) It's not so obvious what "Edit > Import Clipboard" does
2.) "Import clipboard" will create a new file, so it might move to "File" menu.
3.) Adding a menu "Edit" to basic mode to make modes consistent just for this one menu item seems to be a bit of an overkill.

If we really want to make this consistent, "Import Clipboard" should move to menu "File". And it could be renamed from "Import Clipboard" to something like "File > New from Clipboard".
helmut

Post by helmut »

Lesmo16 wrote:...

"File > New" would be indeed a clean and clear solution, but:

1 - At the moment I cannot see much sense in creating an empty image in XnView, since you can only paste to the top-left corner of an existing image. And the pasted section cannot be moved.

2 - With File > New you will have many new questions: What is default background colour, width, and height of the new image? Where can these be set? Will the image enlarge when pasting a large image area?

3 - If you want to simply import the clipboard it's convenient the way it is now, easier than"File > New" and then "Edit > Paste".

So I think "File > New.." will cause a lot of work for something that is easy to use at the moment.
Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

:shock: Finally I can't understand what we're talking about.

xnView has 2 main modes: Browser and Viewer.

What the hell is that "Basic mode" for? What's its advantage?
Why should anybody use it? Seems that someone does - otherwise the option to disable the Browser at startup would be useless.
Why should anybody close the running Browser?

:?: :?: :?:
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

1) I always go in and un-tick the open browser at startup option as soon as I install a new version of xnview. I don't like using browser mode unless I have a specific use for it, otherwise it just slows down the load up time for no purpose. I almost never use an image browser unless I'm doing major reorganizing of my images, otherwise I use xnview for image viewing/minor editting/conversion.
2) "basic" mode is pointless, and that was my point earlier. There should really only be "viewer" mode and "browser" mode. The only purpose "basic" mode serves is to create confusion. Basic view should be eliminated and replaced with viewer mode.
3) Changing the menu setup isn't just for this one thing. There are several thinmgs that move around or disappear in basic mode versus viewer mode, this was merely one example.
4) To summarize about modes:
Xnview has 3 modes:
BASIC: If you do not have xnview set to launch browser at startup, or if you close the browser and all open images, you will wind up in basic mode. Basic mode really serves no purpose.
VIEWER: When you have opened an image to edit, view, or convert, you are in viewer mode.
BROWSER: For browsing images in a directory.
5) How is file->new image edit->paste easier than shift+ctrl+v ???
Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

Drahken wrote:1) I always go in and un-tick the open browser at startup option as soon as I install a new version of xnview. I don't like using browser mode unless I have a specific use for it, otherwise it just slows down the load up time for no purpose. I almost never use an image browser unless I'm doing major reorganizing of my images, otherwise I use xnview for image viewing/minor editting/conversion.
Well, I can completely agree to these explanations. Thanks!
Drahken wrote:2) "basic" mode is pointless, and that was my point earlier. There should really only be "viewer" mode and "browser" mode. The only purpose "basic" mode serves is to create confusion. Basic view should be eliminated and replaced with viewer mode.
With option "Launch Browser at Startup" the user has the choice about his Startup mode - so Support++ !
Drahken wrote:3) Changing the menu setup isn't just for this one thing. There are several thinmgs that move around or disappear in basic mode versus viewer mode, this was merely one example.
Yes, I've noticed that. Absolute useless mode.
Drahken wrote:4) To summarize about modes:
Xnview has 3 modes:
BASIC: If you do not have xnview set to launch browser at startup, or if you close the browser and all open images, you will wind up in basic mode. Basic mode really serves no purpose.
VIEWER: When you have opened an image to edit, view, or convert, you are in viewer mode.
That's one to many! - Think I've mentioned that before. :wink:
Drahken wrote:5) How is file->new image edit->paste easier than shift+ctrl+v ???
I didn't say that it's easier. I just looked for a consistant way which almost any user will go intuitively.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Drahken wrote:...
2) "basic" mode is pointless, and that was my point earlier. There should really only be "viewer" mode and "browser" mode. The only purpose "basic" mode serves is to create confusion. Basic view should be eliminated and replaced with viewer mode.
I don't understand: On one side you write that you use basic mode (no window/browser opened at startup), on the other hand you are writing that basic mode is pointless and should be replaced by 'View' mode. What do you mean by that?
Drahken wrote:3) Changing the menu setup isn't just for this one thing. There are several thinmgs that move around or disappear in basic mode versus viewer mode, this was merely one example.
Most main menu items do not make sense in basic mode, so these are hidden. If there are inconsistencies, please let us know here.
Drahken wrote:4) To summarize about modes:
Xnview has 3 modes:
Yes, three modes. Fullscreen fullscreen light not counted.

Copied from the XnView Online help:
XnView operates in three different Modes: These are the Basic, Browser and View Mode. The current mode depends on, when there is no window, the Browser window or a window with a opened, active image. The mode decides which functions are available in the menus and displays the relevant symbol. Some buttons are available in all modes.

Basic/Default Mode
The following picture shows the Main Window that is displayed when XnView is started. This is the Basic/Default Mode, XnView is in this mode while the Browser is not opened and no Images are opened and active.