Changing templates for web-pages

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

vitar

Changing templates for web-pages

Post by vitar »

Hello!
I would like to change the template for creating web-pages so that the thumbnail page would be called "index.html", not "thumb.html". I tried to change this in the template "page.html" and renamed "thumb.html" into "index.html", but creating web-pages does not work if there's no "thumb.html" in the template directory.
Is there any way to get through this?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Changing templates for web-pages

Post by xnview »

vitar wrote:Hello!
I would like to change the template for creating web-pages so that the thumbnail page would be called "index.html", not "thumb.html". I tried to change this in the template "page.html" and renamed "thumb.html" into "index.html", but creating web-pages does not work if there's no "thumb.html" in the template directory.
Is there any way to get through this?
No, the main page is always thumb.html
Pierre.
vitar

Post by vitar »

Thank you, Pierre!
Is it possible to make this setting optional in the next release?
Dingens

Post by Dingens »

Hey
I know this is old, but this one of the most missed features for me.
If the thumbs.html would be index.html the links would be easier..
Thanks
Rolf
vitar

Post by vitar »

So far there were no changes in the issue.
One option is not to create separate web-pages for each picture, then you can simply rename thumbs to index and everything works.
emvixnv

Post by emvixnv »

vitar wrote:Thank you, Pierre!
Is it possible to make this setting optional in the next release?
Yes, I too would like index.htm(l) instead of thumb.html

It really makes things so much easier for those who view the pages. If the thumbs page is INDEX.HTM then it suffices to type www.domain.com/foldername
PSHRutPark

Post by PSHRutPark »

emvixnv wrote: It really makes things so much easier for those who view the pages. If the thumbs page is INDEX.HTM then it suffices to type www.domain.com/foldername
I understand how the "thumbs.html" template is required for the generation of the web pages.

No problem, when the page is generated, click on the output "thumbs.html" press F2 and type "index" then upload to web site.

PETER
vitar

Post by vitar »

PSHRutPark wrote: No problem, when the page is generated, click on the output "thumbs.html" press F2 and type "index" then upload to web site.
PETER
Unfortunately this is a solution only when there are no separate html file per picture is created; otherwise you cannot just change the name of the index file because in each page thumb.htm is written as the index page and it's not an easy task to correct each page of your album.
PSHRutPark

Post by PSHRutPark »

vitar wrote: Unfortunately this is a solution only when there are no separate html file per picture is created; otherwise you cannot just change the name of the index file because in each page thumb.htm is written as the index page and it's not an easy task to correct each page of your album.
OK, understood.

Do you need to have each image displayed as a separate page?

My web site is based upon the Visuddhi Lightbox and each image is opened in a java-generated window. These windows can have automatically generated captions etc based upon IPTC tags.

PETER
helmut

Post by helmut »

A workaroung to this problem:

Copy the file "thumbs.html" and rename the copy to "index.html". Upload all files to your webserver with both "index.html" and "thumbs.html" included.

This way you have an entry page with standard name "index.html" and your gallery will still work.
vitar

Post by vitar »

Wow, I've never got this simple idea!
Thanks a lot.