Improvements for Search dialog

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

loth

Improvements for Search dialog

Post by loth »

hi all,

first:
i moved to a new flat and are not connected to the holy internet. (for now)
so i cannot research the forum for articles which may be doublettes of my following posts.
i'm commiting the following posts from a place, where i can't research the forum as long as i could do from home :-)
so please excuse any "doublettes", if so.

i'd like to have the search dialog somehow improved :*)

-renaming the button "view" to "browse", because it doesnt show/view the picture(s), but open them all in a browser window.

-add "MB" to search->options->file size

-an additional button "view"

now a question (which might be answered reading the manual/faq?):
search->options->format
does the search find its results using the file extension or the header of the file?
loth
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: i'd like to have the search dialog somehow improved :*)

Post by xnview »

loth wrote:-renaming the button "view" to "browse", because it doesnt show/view the picture(s), but open them all in a browser window.
I think that the term "browse" is better. What do you think?
-add "MB" to search->options->file size
Ok
-an additional button "view"
Ok, for 1 result, but for more than 1 found file??
now a question (which might be answered reading the manual/faq?):
search->options->format
does the search find its results using the file extension or the header of the file?
extension & header
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
loth wrote:-renaming the button "view" to "browse", because it doesnt show/view the picture(s), but open them all in a browser window.
What it makes a bit confusing is the term "View". I think "Browse" is better, but it sounds as if you simply return to the browser. Perhaps "Show" would be a good term (short version of "Show results in browser").
Clo
XnThusiast

Else---

Post by Clo »

• Hi !

¤ "Display…" or "Watch result" seems convenient too; that fits on the button (In French too).
- Anyway, there is room around it, it could be enlarged a bit at width if needed by other languages…

:mrgreen: G
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:
What it makes a bit confusing is the term "View". I think "Browse" is better, but it sounds as if you simply return to the browser. Perhaps "Show" would be a good term (short version of "Show results in browser").
I just wanted to suggest "Show" (the list of files/thumbnails). :) So I agree.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:
loth wrote:-an additional button "view"
Maybe you could show the list of found files in search dialog, same as in Batch rename, then user could select any file and open it, also with a double click maybe...? Maybe "Open" would be better - Open and Show, since View and Show would be very similar and confusing.

E.g.:

[23 files found] ... [Show]

[image1.jpg ]
[image2.jpg ] ... [Open]
[image3.jpg ]

Anyway, not too important...
loth

Post by loth »

xnview wrote:
what about "browse results" ? the tooltip of the button could be more specific ;) if the user is unsure what this means.
loth
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:
xnview wrote:
Maybe you could show the list of found files in search dialog, same as in Batch rename, then user could select any file and open it, also with a double click maybe...? Maybe "Open" would be better - Open and Show, since View and Show would be very similar and confusing.
As long as the results can be seen in browser only, I think "Show" is a good wording.

Once browsing and viewing the result is both possible, I would call these "View" and "Browse" to give the user an indication that in one case the results are shown in viewer, in the other case shown in Browser.
loth

Post by loth »

Dreamer wrote:
xnview wrote:
[23 files found] ... [Show]
i don't like that much, because what the button does (until now), is browsing the thumbnails and not showing the pictures found.
loth
Clo
XnThusiast

Instead---

Post by Clo »

:arrow: loth

:) Hello !

- If I get you alright, you would prefer to browse the real entire images,
instead to get a table of thumb-nails for the search result ?

- In that case, these images could be copied into a real temp. directory planned for that use, then the "Show" (or whatever caption) button should open the first image in "View", allowing to browse them as usual.

- Indeed, this could take a pretty while whether you have a lot of big files, but finally could be suitable : browsing the images directly is faster than to display them from a thumb-nails table one by one, and I guess that this should bring an advantage, in the average.
- Each search-result could be saved into an <History List> as a text-file, in sections having the masks for titles, allowing to reopen any former search result. Of course, reachable from a menu or so.
- Means to clear the temp. dir before each new search display might be implemented, there are several ways, and it is not my cup of tea :P

- Anyway, this could be an option for advanced users, so it could be set via an INI entry only, while the current behaviour (thumb-nails) should stay the default one…
- What do you think ? :D

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
loth

Re: Instead---

Post by loth »

Clo wrote: - If I get you alright, you would prefer to browse the real entire images,
instead to get a table of thumb-nails for the search result ?
yes. in some way ;-)
but not, as you described, with copying the files of the <search result> into a temp.dir. this could take way too long, as you said too, especially on network-drives.

but an additional button "copy/move <search result> to file/path"
additional options:
[x] write a textfile with the filenames (if not checked, it would copy the files, instead of making a list)
[x] include fullpaths

would be great.
but this is just another idea now ;-)

so, what i meant was, that i only need to open the search result(s) in fullscreenmode (or windowed or whatelse, i only use FS-mode) (but not all at once...) and scroll through the results via the normal keys (as if the user were in fullscreenmode)

but btw:
your idea with <history list> is very good! i also needed to save some search results and reload them later. but i didnt had the time to request that feature (or did i and forgot?) 8-)
so maybe we open another thread for that requested feature?
Clo wrote: - In that case, these images could be copied into a real temp. directory planned for that use, then the "Show" (or whatever caption) button should open the first image in "View", allowing to browse them as usual.

- Indeed, this could take a pretty while whether you have a lot of big files, but finally could be suitable : browsing the images directly is faster than to display them from a thumb-nails table one by one, and I guess that this should bring an advantage, in the average.
- Each search-result could be saved into an <History List> as a text-file, in sections having the masks for titles, allowing to reopen any former search result. Of course, reachable from a menu or so.
- Means to clear the temp. dir before each new search display might be implemented, there are several ways, and it is not my cup of tea :P

- Anyway, this could be an option for advanced users, so it could be set via an INI entry only, while the current behaviour (thumb-nails) should stay the default one…
loth
klumy

Post by klumy »

here are some more suggestions for the Searchfunction:

- add a toolbar button for the search, so you have faster access to it

- or better an extra search field within the XnView browser window, so you can make a quicksearch without opening the advanced search window. The search results would be directly displayed in the browser as thumbnails.

- this search would support "search as you type"
XNView 1.91.5
Windows XP SP3
Clo
XnThusiast

Not only copy---

Post by Clo »

:arrow: loth

:) Good evening,
…but not, as you described, with copying the files of the <search result> into a temp.dir. …
¤ This is the simplest way currently with regard to the existing features…
- I could be convenient i.e. for a lot of small pics like icons in folders containing hundreds of them, that I have here…
- I thought too to a virtual item like a kind of “Image-basket” to host the search-results. This doesn't care of the file-sizes, since only the paths/names are copied into.
- But this is not so easy to add, although this exists in DeLuxe as "Collections" or so, and should be added in a future standard version.
- Both ways (or more) could lead to a bunch of INI options, it could be very flexible according to each user's needs…
¤ Indeed, a “History-list” should be very useful, and not too complicated to implement I guess. We can't get any extra button in the tool-bar currently, this doesn't help, and this lacuna appears more and more in several threads about various suggestions for various features…
¤ Unfortunately, a big improvement of the tool-bar thing is not at the top of the Pierre's ToDo (endless) list, according to that he said. :|

{ About : Save the search-results }
…so maybe we open another thread for that requested feature?
:D Why not ? It's a bit specific, though it is not quite off-topic here. I could do it if you have no time enough. ;)

:mrgreen: V G
Claude
Clo
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

klumy wrote:- add a toolbar button for the search, so you have faster access to it
There is already a toolbar button - "Search files". :)
Clo
XnThusiast

For else

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Dreamer

:) Hello !

- I make skins :D

- I mean buttons to reopen former searches … And for the features loth wishes : display / hide the current Seach according to his criteria…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo