Comparing xnview to vallen jpegger

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

lipidicman

Comparing xnview to vallen jpegger

Post by lipidicman »

Ok, so the two don't compare. xnview is by far the best viewer I have found. It is much more customisable and has bags more functionality. I don't know how I managed before I found xnview

However Vallen Jpegger has a few features than xnview needs:

1) You can put it on a cd with your pictures and run it from there, no installation needed. This was the reason a friend put me on to jpegger
2) You can cache the thumbnails in a directory, so picture cd's work on a friends computer. This also stops my laptop overheating whilst it builds the thumbnails every time
3) You can select a directory and click 'recurse' to see the thumbs for all the images in the tree. This also has the benefit that the cache files are built for all the subdirectories (great if you have literally thousands of directories you want to cache)
4) The 'flip thumbnails' feature lets you browse directories and see the thumbs in the main panel, then flip the thumbs so you can click the thumbs and see the image in the main panel.

I have no vested interest in jpegger, but I need the features above in my image viewer. At the moment I am running both programs to get the best of both worlds but I would appreciate it if the above features could be added to xnview!
Anika

Post by Anika »

1) You can put it on a cd with your pictures and run it from there, no installation needed.
This is possible win XnView if you download the .zip-Version. I do this with all my foto CDs that I give to friends. You can even save the slideshows and put them to the autorun.inf.
XnView 2.04, 2.13 Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 64bit
lipidicman

Post by lipidicman »

Anika wrote:
1) You can put it on a cd with your pictures and run it from there, no installation needed.
This is possible win XnView if you download the .zip-Version. I do this with all my foto CDs that I give to friends. You can even save the slideshows and put them to the autorun.inf.
OK, thats useful. But the cd wont contain the thumbnail cache (or not without hacking it somehow). The beauty of jpegger here is that the cache for each folder is IN EACH FOLDER!. There is nothing worse than the sound of a cdrom hacking away to build each thumbnail every time. Another great thing is, delete a directory and the cache for that directory is gone too - no more optimizing for that problem

So at the moment I use XNview for hard drive browsing and jpegger for cdrom stuff and distributing. I would like to use xnview all the time!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

lipidicman wrote:
Anika wrote:
OK, thats useful. But the cd wont contain the thumbnail cache (or not without hacking it somehow). The beauty of jpegger here is that the cache for each folder is IN EACH FOLDER!. There is nothing worse than the sound of a cdrom hacking away to build each thumbnail every time. Another great thing is, delete a directory and the cache for that directory is gone too - no more optimizing for that problem

So at the moment I use XNview for hard drive browsing and jpegger for cdrom stuff and distributing. I would like to use xnview all the time!
You can set the cache folder in .ini 'PathCache='
Pierre.
Mike Schmidt

autorun.inf

Post by Mike Schmidt »

Hello Anika,

could you please post the line of code which is starting xnviews with slideshows?! :wink:
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
lipidicman wrote:
Anika wrote: This is possible win XnView if you download the .zip-Version. I do this with all my foto CDs that I give to friends. You can even save the slideshows and put them to the autorun.inf.

You can set the cache folder in .ini 'PathCache='
I haven't known until know, that's good news. But how would this be used to create an offline cache on CD?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:I haven't known until know, that's good news. But how would this be used to create an offline cache on CD?
Hum, right there is perhaps a problem... I must check...
Pierre.
helmut

Re: autorun.inf

Post by helmut »

Mike Schmidt wrote:Hello Anika,

could you please post the line of code which is starting xnviews with slideshows?! :wink:
In the XnView Online help you will find a detailed description in Chapter "Self Starting Slide Shows on CD".
Mike Schmidt

RTFM

Post by Mike Schmidt »

okay - thank you
lipidicman

Post by lipidicman »

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:I haven't known until know, that's good news. But how would this be used to create an offline cache on CD?
Hum, right there is perhaps a problem... I must check...
OK if this is possible then great. I dont necessarily need the cache to be in the directories themselves, although a single xnviewthumbs.dat file is elegant i think.

I guess you could build the cache, move it to the cd directory and put a copy of xnview with a shortcut to launch the program with the correct cache directory. This is much more complex than the solution offered by jpegger by virtue of having the thumbnails stored in each directory.

Also, I really would like a way of populating either type of cache by selecting a directory tree, rather than browsing through each directory. This way I can select my 63Gb folder and go on holiday whilst the cache is built!
lipidicman

Post by lipidicman »

Ok I have had a go at this. I have a partial solution. I have copied xnview to my removable disc on which I keep pictures (the laptop HD space is at a premium) and set this version up to use a cache in the xnview directory. For xnview without the extHD I use the normal installation.

OK, great. This means that the cache is there when I am browsing the achives. BUT, I really need to be able to populate the cache in one go (ie select E:\photos\ and select recurse to get them all) ALSO if the drive letter changes when I take the drive to another machine then the cache fails. This isn't too much of a problem as I can select a high letter like S:. However to modify this technique for burning a CD would be problematic as the CD drive letter is taken and a cache built for E: or S: wont work off the CD. For this we need relative references or caches in the directories!