B1: Undo for lossless JPEG Crop

Bugs and Issues in 1.82 Test versions which have been fixed and verified as resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

surfacecleanerz

B1: Undo for lossless JPEG Crop

Post by surfacecleanerz »

I think an Undo function for the "lossless" crop operation is a must have. This could easily be done by copying actual image to temp before cropping and copy it back in case of undo.
This lossless operation is not lossless at all! I know, why its called so, but one is not able to undo it, as its possible for rotation.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Undo for lossless JPEG Crop

Post by xnview »

surfacecleanerz wrote:I think an Undo function for the "lossless" crop operation is a must have. This could easily be done by copying actual image to temp before cropping and copy it back in case of undo.
This lossless operation is not lossless at all! I know, why its called so, but one is not able to undo it, as its possible for rotation.
Really needed?
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
surfacecleanerz wrote:I think an Undo function for the "lossless" crop operation is a must have. This could easily be done by copying actual image to temp before cropping and copy it back in case of undo.
Really needed?
JPG lossless "Crop" is surely dangerous, since you will loose image data which you cannot recover. Not sure whether "Undo" is a good way to tackle this issue.
Perhaps all files used for JPG lossless function should be moved to paper basket (just an idea).
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:Perhaps all files used for JPG lossless function should be moved to paper basket (just an idea).
It's not a standard behavior and users will not expect that, so they will not try to find it there.

I think undo is better and should be added if it's easy to add.

My solution is:

Allow to select just to "correct" size, show the size in red if it's not "correct", or skip the size if it's "incorrect". It would be very intuitive, easy to use and fast.

Another solution:

Resize to "correct" size before action and show some dialog...
surfacecleanerz

@Dreamer: I think its not that good idea, to do this (if I understand it right). Undo should be added as Helmut said via paper basket. It'll be copied there before action and will be deleted when program is exited! The temp folder could be used, too for this action, but paper basket is more intuitive I think!

Stefan
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

surfacecleanerz wrote:@Dreamer: I think its not that good idea, to do this (if I understand it right).
Why? Explain.
surfacecleanerz wrote:Undo should be added as Helmut said via paper basket. It'll be copied there before action and will be deleted when program is exited! The temp folder could be used, too for this action, but paper basket is more intuitive I think!
But normal users will not expect this, also, it's not very easy to find this file between many (100 / 1000) other files. Also, it would be not intuitive and easy to use if user wants to use it several times.

I think, standard undo should be added - and my idea above maybe...
surfacecleanerz

surfacecleanerz hat folgendes geschrieben:
Undo should be added as Helmut said via paper basket. It'll be copied there before action and will be deleted when program is exited! The temp folder could be used, too for this action, but paper basket is more intuitive I think!

But normal users will not expect this, also, it's not very easy to find this file between many (100 / 1000) other files. Also, it would be not intuitive and easy to use if user wants to use it several times.

I think, standard undo should be added - and my idea above maybe...
That's what I meant! The program undo function should use normal paper basket instead of cryptic program specific temp folder! But this is just additional for experienced users, others click undo and thats it!

Allow to select just to "correct" size, show the size in red if it's not "correct", or skip the size if it's "incorrect". It would be very intuitive, easy to use and fast.

Another solution:

Then I don't really understand, what you mean!
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

surfacecleanerz wrote:

Another solution:

Then I don't really understand, what you mean!
For lossless crop, picture/selection must be multiple of 8/16, so if you make a "wrong" selection, result will be not the same as your selection - you will lose part of image.

All I want is to show real selection for lossless crop to users while they making a selection.

Here is the link to my original request (with no reply) - Lossless crop improvements.
surfacecleanerz

ok, now I get, what you mean! Another question of me was to display pixel ratio e.g. 4:3. But then I realized that there is in 1.82 something near. When selection is active a number of 1.33 etc. is displayed for 4:3 side ratios. ok display of 4:3 would be more clear, but this is harder to implement I think!

This could be used for your idea. But I think all sizes should be available for "lossless" crop option any longer. If XnView displays your idea, this is ok, too of course!

But this is a bit OT, I think ;-)

Even your crop method is not lossless! You can't say rotate 90° and the original is there back!
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Well, I think I'll Close it.
There is a good request for this feature in the link Dreamer pointed out.

X.