"Show only basic options" option

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

"Show only basic options" option

Post by Dreamer »

"Show only basic options" option (in Options dialog), maybe even enabled by default, advanced options would be disabled then. Just to help novice users.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: "Show only basic options" option

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:"Show only basic options" option (in Options dialog), maybe even enabled by default, advanced options would be disabled then. Just to help novice users.
Hide some category?
Pierre.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

I have never been too enthusiastic about that kind of "Basic/Expert modes" (hiding options, etc...) because it tends to make things even less accessible.

Moreover, I believe that XnView Options could be optimized a lot: reorganizing them, changing labels and layout, moving some of them to context menus and some others to .ini, etc...
=> I will try to start a new thread about that in the next days/weeks.

Olivier
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

No, leave things the way they are.

You could add a configuration wizard for the lazy people I guess but I never have been one to trust wizards.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Olivier_G wrote:...Moreover, I believe that XnView Options could be optimized a lot: reorganizing them, changing labels and layout, moving some of them to context menus and some others to .ini, etc...
I dont' think this would be better, I think it would be easier to switch one option than edit .ini for most users.

Some users never use many advanced options and it's not easy to know what is a standard option for them, so they rather don't change anything and ask here if something is possible to set and how (others try another program maybe). So I think these basic options could help them find most common options, they can switch to "advanced mode" later.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: "Show only basic options" option

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:"Show only basic options" option (in Options dialog), maybe even enabled by default, advanced options would be disabled then. Just to help novice users.
Hide some category?
Yes, categories and single options, maybe "greyed out"...
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

"Never say never"

Ok... I am the kind of person to directly set the 'expert mode' when opening a software for the first time... to test&try&master&optimize all the options, and grumble right after at that useless 'novice mode'!
I considered extra .ini settings as a way to handle those 'more-than-what-powerusers-may-actually-use' things. But after playing more seriously with Options, I just realized that I would only be able to move 10-20 settings there... => what's the advantage of adding the complexity of .ini file, if it is to keep 95% of the settings in the main 'Options' panel!

I say this because I've just played with that "Show expert options" on my Miranda-IM... and WOW!!! That's great!!! :D

When I unchecked that 'expert options':
-> categories disappeared from the structure tree
-> groups of options moved out of panels
-> individual settings just vanished
(including buttons, lists...)
-> some new simpler options replaced several previous ones
(and things actually moved: it's nice to see... all this in a small&light optimized Instant-Messenger)

And I thought "WOW!!! This is exactly what XnView needs to handle its Options!!! It is actually possible to preserve the feel&use for experts, while organizing/showing exactly what is needed for novice!" :D
(it should even be possible to manage several profiles... and make them editable)

What a shock!
Dreamer: you've got my full support! :mrgreen:

Olivier
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Olivier_G wrote:"Never say never"
What a shock!
Dreamer: you've got my full support! :mrgreen:

Olivier
Thanks. :)
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

we could all "learn" a bit with the VideoLAN options window.

they have he most used option shown as defaul, and the advanced ones hidden. i think we could all discuss wich could be hiddin or not.
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
darrask

Post by darrask »

I've just had a look at the preferences like a normal user would.
Well I think he never would find the "show only basic options" for the preferences. I just did not find it, maybe I'm just dumb but that should be representative for other users (in the sense that they don't find it!).

In addition to set the beginner mode by default and providing an expert mode, I also agree there should be some reorganising and optimizing done.

Seriously, I think first-time and never-using-advanced-options users are the bulk of XnView's users, and I know most of them are outputted by the level of customizing XV provides. Not to annoy any of you here... :P
They don't think: "WOw! that software is full of options!" they think " Oh my god! What am I gonna do with all this?". It gives them an uneasy feeling.
They simply don't want to take the time to read and understand how it works, and I can understand that. I say take a look at the new version of VLC, they did a great job improving usability when compared to previous versions.