New icon for XnView

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Pierre - right, icon in exe is better, not perfect though, but...

Pierre and robc - most important is small icon and it looks bad on dark backgrounds.

We could try to improve it, otherwise we should use icon with background.

I'll try to improve it, robc you could try too, all we need is to replace white/black border with orange (not with transparent).

Edit - I need original transparent 16x16 icon... Pierre please?
danilloOc

Post by danilloOc »

An alternative is keep the icons like now and only change the 16x16 ones by adding a background, maybe not a simple square as before but some kind of back that make the icon loook better in this size, i will work in something and show up on monday.
Last edited by danilloOc on Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danillooc.wincustomize.com
danillooc.deviantart.com
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

danilloOc wrote:An alternative is keep the icons like now and only change the 12x12 ones by adding a background, maybe not a simple square as before but some kind of back that make the icon loook better in this size, i will work in something and show up on monday.
Yes, that's what I want (if we don't make perfect 16x16 transparent icon).
robc

Post by robc »

What do you mean, Dreamer? replacing the white/black border with a shade of orange different from that of the logo? that could be an idea... anything BUT a background, please, it could look good as a "big" icon on the desktop, but it's awful in the title bar and taskbar.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

robc wrote:What do you mean, Dreamer? replacing the white/black border with a shade of orange different from that of the logo?
Yes, current icon with black border is too 'thin'.

But, someone must create such icon - and soon, otherwise - you know...

I think current 16x16 transparent icon is maybe even worse than old with grey background - and we can't change it.
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

I've trying to play a bit with the icon waiting for some inspiration, but it's very hard to shrink an image with that much detail to 256 color and get good results.

an alternative is to add a background or find an alternative for the brushed eye...
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

VuDu wrote:I've trying to play a bit with the icon waiting for some inspiration, but it's very hard to shrink an image with that much detail to 256 color and get good results.
I know, also orange is not the best for transparent background...
VuDu wrote:an alternative is to add a background or find an alternative for the brushed eye...
Yes, I think it would be better than current transparent icon, but robc don't want background.

BTW robc - you don't want a background, but your avatar looks the same as my suggestion. :wink:
robc

Post by robc »

Nope... my avatar is a crystal button with rounded corners, you've always spoken about a flat white or black background, an ugly substitute for an uglier grey old-style square button... bleah! :wink: :D And then, it's an avatar, not an application icon to be displayed on a title bar and taskbar... Furthermore, such a design in a 16x16 size would be unrecognizable. Why do you all think orange on transparent is not good? Orange stands out enough both on light backgrounds and dark backgrounds, much more than other colors.
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

I'm working on it as we speak (LOL... made it sound important :D)

I've been trying different positions with the "eye", since it's not 1:1.

another alternative is to use some other xnview-related image... for example, i tryed using the black-squared "V" from the big logo, but the result wasnt that good.

edit:

what do you think?

Last edited by VuDu on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

robc wrote:Why do you all think orange on transparent is not good?
I don't think, I know, do you really think this is nice? Image Image

This one looks much better IMO - Image.
VuDu wrote:I'm working on it as we speak (LOL... made it sound important :D)
Thank you! :)

Could you try to do also such (16x16) icon please? I mean the same as a third icon on image below. Dark blue should be transparent. We (and Pierre) could choose the best then.

VuDu wrote:another alternative is to use some other xnview-related image... for example, i tryed using the black-squared "V" from the big logo, but the result wasnt that good.
It's the main xnview icon, so we should use xnview icon IMO.
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

v2.0

in action:

suggestions?
it doesn't look too bad in dark backgrounds and looks good on light ones :)
robc

Post by robc »

Why the document page on the back? it's the main app icon, not the document icon... follow the standards, please :wink:
robc

Post by robc »

Here's a quick test: is it so bad on all backgrounds? This is the "real thing" in 16x16 which should be used to choose, not the bigger size as Dreamer has posted (in bigger sizes borders get much more noticeable); I know it's almost unrecognizeable, but at that size all outlined icons have this problem. My suggestion (as I already mentioned some posts above) is either to redesign a logo or keep the existing one and just redesign the smallest icon, as many have done for their apps to compensate for the few available pixels.

Or a "bolder" version

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

robc wrote:Here's a quick test: is it so bad on all backgrounds? This is the "real thing" in 16x16 which should be used to choose, not the bigger size as Dreamer has posted (in bigger sizes borders get much more noticeable); I know it's almost unrecognizeable, but at that size all outlined icons have this problem. My suggestion (as I already mentioned some posts above) is either to redesign a logo or keep the existing one and just redesign the smallest icon, as many have done for their apps to compensate for the few available pixels.

Not too bad on dark background, but perhaps a simple white background will be good for the 16x16 icon...
Pierre.
robc

Post by robc »

Yes, but that would translate to a "nice" :evil: white 16x16 flat square on the title bar and the taskbar button, which usually are DARKER than white :wink: whatever style you're using.