New icon for XnView

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

I'm with Helmut, we need to hijack the icons from XnView Deluxe.
Crysler

Post by Crysler »

ckit wrote:I'm with Helmut, we need to hijack the icons from XnView Deluxe.
Seconded
robc

Post by robc »

ckv wrote:XnView 1.82.1 is out and it haves a new main icon, but the 16x16 256 color icon looks piece of s*! :P

And once again I am forced to use my super powers and make a new shiny icon. *cough* arrogant bastard *cough* :mrgreen:
On the left is 1.82.1 and on the right is my creation
ckv, I don't understand, this is the icon I get in 1.82.1 :shock: which I do like... are you running windows with just an 8bit color depth?

ckv

Post by ckv »

robc wrote:ckv, I don't understand, this is the icon I get in 1.82.1 :shock: which I do like...
Have you ever hear about XP icons?

I don't have XP so I don't get to joy those alpha blended true color XP eye candy icons. :) You have XP and therefore you don't get the icon what I see. I thought that you know these things. :|

robc wrote:are you running windows with just an 8bit color depth?
No. Icons can have multiple color palettes. And those who don't have XP, will see the the true color or 256 color version of the icon and since since 16x16 icons haves only 256 (16*16=256) pixel in them, there's no point to make 16x16 true color icon.
Last edited by ckv on Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
robc

Post by robc »

I know that, ckv, I just supposed Pierre DIDN'T use alpha-blended icons since he said they didn't look good under W2K (of course)... I was mistaken.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

robc ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=25071#25071]05/Feb/2006[/url]) wrote:[...] For the above reasons, sometimes (I remember noticing it several times) the 16x16 icon is altogether different from the 32x32 and up, since in many cases just reducing the bigger image yields disastrous results... If the deLuxe icon (which I had never seen) is going to be used, that's fine, it looks nice to me: we just need to find out if it scales down well and can be made transparent (I assume the whitespace behind it is transparent in the sample you provided), otherwise we need to design a simpler image, just for the 16x16 format. I believe whoever designed the deLuxe icon is perfectly able to come out with a nice, transparent 16x16 image suitable to be used as the main application icon.
The following icons were extracted from “XnViewMediaDetector.exe”, which is part of XnView Deluxe 2. For convenience, I provide examples with different shades of background color: transparent, #ffffff (white), #d4d0c8 (light gray), #808080 (dark gray), #000000 (black).

Click to enlarge (60K)
helmut

Post by helmut »

To be honest I'm a bit surprised to see a new icon in XnView 1.82. Perhaps I should have payed more attention to this discussion.

The new icon is o.k., though it looks very fragile. I think it should be a bit bolder. Also the orange looks a bit dirty and could be a bit fresher. The overall result is good, the "finishing" is a case for a real designer, I think.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:To be honest I'm a bit surprised to see a new icon in XnView 1.82. Perhaps I should have payed more attention to this discussion.

The new icon is o.k., though it looks very fragile. I think it should be a bit bolder. Also the orange looks a bit dirty and could be a bit fresher. The overall result is good, the "finishing" is a case for a real designer, I think.
Yes. Larger icons are not the best too...
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:
helmut wrote:To be honest I'm a bit surprised to see a new icon in XnView 1.82. Perhaps I should have payed more attention to this discussion.

Yes. Larger icons are not the best too...
The large icon (32x32) icon is the one I refered to in my above post. The 16x16 icon is just a bit blur, the rest is o.k..
robc

Post by robc »

XnTriq wrote:
robc ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=25071#25071]05/Feb/2006[/url]) wrote:[...] For the above reasons, sometimes (I remember noticing it several times) the 16x16 icon is altogether different from the 32x32 and up, since in many cases just reducing the bigger image yields disastrous results... If the deLuxe icon (which I had never seen) is going to be used, that's fine, it looks nice to me: we just need to find out if it scales down well and can be made transparent (I assume the whitespace behind it is transparent in the sample you provided), otherwise we need to design a simpler image, just for the 16x16 format. I believe whoever designed the deLuxe icon is perfectly able to come out with a nice, transparent 16x16 image suitable to be used as the main application icon.
The following icons were extracted from “XnViewMediaDetector.exe”, which is part of XnView Deluxe 2. For convenience, I provide examples with different shades of background color: transparent, #ffffff (white), #d4d0c8 (light gray), #808080 (dark gray), #000000 (black).

Click to enlarge (60K)
I definitely support the DeLuxe iconset, though I'm already satisfied with the current 1.82 icon.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Another problem of the new, small icon:
On Windows 2000 the icon is very hard to see in the grey menus.

(Sorry for critisizing, again, but I really think the new icon has been introduced too early).
ckv

Post by ckv »

helmut wrote:Another problem of the new, small icon:
On Windows 2000 the icon is very hard to see in the grey menus.

(Sorry for critisizing, again, but I really think the new icon has been introduced too early).
I understand. The icon should be darker, but not much.

What you think? (lowest is current)
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
helmut

Post by helmut »

ckv wrote:...
I understand. The icon should be darker, but not much.
Exactly.
ckv wrote:What you think? (lowest is current)
Much better. :-) Personally I'd go for the second from bottom. The one at the top is too dark.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:
ckv wrote:What you think? (lowest is current)
Much better. :-) Personally I'd go for the second from bottom. The one at the top is too dark.
Nice, I like the second from the top. The second from bottom is still a bit unclear on grey background.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

I agree, we need a icon that is clear for grey backgrounds.