New icon for XnView

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Dreamer wrote:Nice, I like the second from the top. The second from bottom is still a bit unclear on grey background.
Same opinion here...
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

The new icon is very difficult to see on my display...

Please box it and give it a background color. Something like this:

See how much easier that is to see?

Cool is one thing, but visibility is much more important! Icons are not photographs, they are symbols!!!!
John
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

honestly, those icons on the last page can be easier to see then your's with that background.

if pierre choses to use a background, even with transparency (win 2k) you can get perfectly looking icons.

i think we should wait for pierre's decision and then make some alternatives so that everyone can give their opinion and chose the final set of icons.
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

honestly, those icons on the last page can be easier to see then your's with that background.

Which ones are you talking about? The best of those have either the white or the black backgrounds. I just put a box around the white background.

I don't personally care what the XNView icon looks like as long as it "looks like" XNView, doesn't blend into the control background, and is easily distinguished from all other icons that might be showing.

Not easy to do, but some basic design principles can be readily applied: high contrast, simple geometric shapes, and with a distinctive color scheme.

Since so many users "skin" Windows these days, the simpler and more bold the icon, the better better chance it will have to stand out in the greatest number of skins...
John
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

i like the current 1.82.2 icon
ckv

Post by ckv »

The purpose to change the main icon was to gwt rid of the box around the logo. If you like the box you can just change the shortcut icon back to the old icon.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Tommy wrote:i like the current 1.82.2 icon
I, now agree!
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

JohnFredC wrote:

Which ones are you talking about?
Dreamer wrote:
helmut wrote:
ckv wrote:What you think? (lowest is current)
Much better. :-) Personally I'd go for the second from bottom. The one at the top is too dark.
Nice, I like the second from the top. The second from bottom is still a bit unclear on grey background.
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

second from the top ;)
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
SeaMaiden

Post by SeaMaiden »

Seamaiden's XnIcons

These are single-icon files (except for the few source icons taken directly from XnView and XnView Deluxe). They are 32x32 or 48x48. I do not know how to make a multi-icon file.

Test1.ico and Test2.ico are from the first page in this thread.

If you can tell me where there is free file hosting, I will upload the zip file so you guys can experiment with the icons. The only free nonimage file hosting sites I know of are megaupload and rapidshare, but I think the file will be deleted from there after no one downloads it for 30 days. Are there other sites I should consider?

EDIT:
Here is the zip file at RapidShare. This takes you to the download page.
http://rapidshare.de/files/13148012/XnI ... n.zip.html

This download link will be invalid (file will be deleted from their servers) after no one downloads it for 30 days. I do not have a Premium account and cannot afford one, so there is that limit, and there is no direct download link to the file (you can't right-click and choose 'save target as').
Last edited by SeaMaiden on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 11 (64-bit), Android 12, XnViewMP 1.5.0, XnResize 1.10, XnShell 4.16
** XnView ROCKS **
Clo
XnThusiast

SIMPLE !

Post by Clo »

:) Hi again T. !
…I do not know how to make a multi-icon file…
SIMPLE !
- Tools menu >> Create a multi-page file >> Choose “Windows Icon” as the output format.

This is explained in my Manual… :wink:

- That's all ! :D

:mrgreen: GD's regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
SeaMaiden

Post by SeaMaiden »

Clo, we may not be using the same icon editing program. I use A-Z Icon Editor (formerly called Icon Editor Pro). What program do you use, or are you saying that XnView can create multi-icon files? Do you have a link for your manual? I'd like to have Microangelo, but it's too expensive. Any freeware alternatives or less-expensive shareware alternatives?
Windows 11 (64-bit), Android 12, XnViewMP 1.5.0, XnResize 1.10, XnShell 4.16
** XnView ROCKS **
Clo
XnThusiast

XnView first !!!

Post by Clo »

:) Hi T. !
- Indeed, of course, naturally, absolutely, certainly (what a vocabulary !) XnView is quite able to create multi-frame icons now, since the 1.80 versions !

- Please, just follow the instructions above…

- Though I've one, I never use specialized softs to make icons - and I make a lot -, I use simply M$-Paint, then XnView, no more…
- I may admit that I don't care a lot of transparent backgrounds for icons… I don't like this…
- But if you have already a set of separate icons *.ICO, made with whatever soft, XnView can merge them as a multi-frame icon, that works like a charm ! :D

• Freeware icon-maker : SnIco, @ http://snidesoft.cjb.net/

:mrgreen: GD's regards,
Claude
Clo

Note : Please, check your PMs !
Like I say elsewhere, you might read the updated Manuals…
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: XnView first !!!

Post by Dreamer »

Clo wrote:• Freeware icon-maker : SnIco, @ http://snidesoft.cjb.net/
Another free, very easy to use and intuitive icon maker is IconoMaker.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

SeaMaiden wrote:Seamaiden's XnIcons

These are single-icon files (except for the few source icons taken directly from XnView and XnView Deluxe). They are 32x32 or 48x48. I do not know how to make a multi-icon file.

Test1.ico and Test2.ico are from the first page in this thread.

If you can tell me where there is free file hosting, I will upload the zip file so you guys can experiment with the icons. The only free nonimage file hosting sites I know of are megaupload and rapidshare, but I think the file will be deleted from there after no one downloads it for 30 days. Are there other sites I should consider?

EDIT:
Here is the zip file at RapidShare. This takes you to the download page.
http://rapidshare.de/files/13148012/XnI ... n.zip.html

This download link will be invalid (file will be deleted from their servers) after no one downloads it for 30 days. I do not have a Premium account and cannot afford one, so there is that limit, and there is no direct download link to the file (you can't right-click and choose 'save target as').
Thanks, I'm going to play with these although I've already seen the one I want.