Option to auto remove unused cache items after X days...

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

TsunamiZ

Option to auto remove unused cache items after X days...

Post by TsunamiZ »

Please add an option to auto remove unused cache items after X number of days [similar to how web cache is handled by web browsers]. This will make cache maintenance a lot easier. Thanks.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

and it will save a lot of drive space
Clo
XnThusiast

I support

Post by Clo »

:) Hello !

I support this proposal!
- I guess it might be configurable at the days amount.
- To avoid Options pages as so full as eggs, it could be simply an INI entry, since we have not any need to change it very often, something like :
ClearChacheEach = Flag
where "Flag" is the period between the purges in days …

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
TsunamiZ

Re: I support

Post by TsunamiZ »

It's would be nice to have the numbers of days input field in the cache category. :wink:
Clo
XnThusiast

Why not ?

Post by Clo »

:D Yes, this is quite conceivable too and should be handy, but needs to add some stuff (a few, most certainly) to the programme, and then into N… language-DLLs, causing an extra-job to Pierre who is already overworked…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

You should be able to specify: Remove Cache unused after X days and Limit Cache to Y MB (based on last use and frequency...).

Those options should appear directly in the Options 'Cache' window.

Olivier
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

I support this request.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Olivier_G wrote:You should be able to specify: Remove Cache unused after X days and Limit Cache to Y MB (based on last use and frequency...).

Olivier
Yes, forgot to mention the cache size limit. But it should also allow unlimited cache size [when set to 0], so it won't interfere with amount of cached items in x days for some people.
Clo
XnThusiast

Go to R… ?

Post by Clo »

—> Olivier_G
:) Hello !
<½Joke>This is part of GUI, so I agree if you go to help Pierre for the whole series of language-DLLs to update… Not too far for you, just 150 km :D </½joke>

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Olivier_G wrote:You should be able to specify: Remove Cache unused after X days and Limit Cache to Y MB (based on last use and frequency...).
And how should they cooperate? Most restrictive first? Least restrictive first? Selectable? One with set value supersedes the other set to 0?

X.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Olivier
I like the 'Limit Cache to y MB' idea. I do not like the threadstarter's idea. Why throw out thumbnails simply because they've been created a long time ago? Doesn't make sense to me.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Xyzzy wrote:And how should they cooperate? Most restrictive first? Least restrictive first? Selectable? One with set value supersedes the other set to 0?
I was thinking about the most restrictive one only (it should at least be the default behaviour, otherwise people may not understand why their last setting is not applied) and 0=unlimited being superseded by the other setting.

It could also be something like this, if you want more flexibility:

Code: Select all

Remove from Cache: when unused after [X] days  - [ OR|v] - to limit Cache to [Y] MB
                                                 [AND| ]
                                             (dropdown list)
Olivier
PS1: I believe some people are more confortable with "I'm not going to check that often files older than 2 weeks, because it's the way I work..." rather than "367MB is my limit today"... ;-) -> therefore both settings seems useful.
PS2: Limiting Cache to [Y] MB may be tricky: which files to remove? Consider last access? How often? Filesize? Filetype?...
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Danny wrote:

Olivier
I like the 'Limit Cache to y MB' idea. I do not like the threadstarter's idea. Why throw out thumbnails simply because they've been created a long time ago? Doesn't make sense to me.
And limiting to cache size can be a bad idea. Imagine some of your recent cache items being thrown out because you reached your cache size limit too soon.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

PS2: Limiting Cache to [Y] MB may be tricky: which files to remove? Consider last access? How often? Filesize? Filetype?...
Remove oldest cached items first. :wink:
helmut

Post by helmut »

A large cache can be a nuisance due to its size. And access to it might be even slower (not necessarily).

I like the idea of setting a cache limit and kicking out oldest entries from cache.

A limitation with date would be the deluxe version, but it will make things more complicated than actually needed. So I'd prefer the normal version (without maximum period for old entries).