"Strip of images" enhancement...

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

TsunamiZ

"Strip of images" enhancement...

Post by TsunamiZ »

Any chance XnView can add a feature to "walk" pictures [i.e. browse all images from a folder in a horizontal scroll mode]. Similar to this program:

PicWalker [ www.oma-penny.com ]

This is really good for browsing a lot of pictures very fast, in a non-linear fashion!

Problem with the strip of images mode is that it can't support an unlimited number of images [otherwise it stops working]. And a large folder of images takes a long time to create. It would be nice if this was a view mode [i.e. have right click menu option to view this directory as strip of images], and only load / cache a certain number of images on-screen at a time. And with a scroll bar option, be able to display the images requested at the scroll bar location. This feature would be a great help in saving a lot of time when browsing large number of images in a non-linear fashion. Thanks.

BTW: Images should be selectable and deletable in strip of images mode. And double clicked images [while on display in strip of images] should be centered on screen. So this mode is a blend between view and a bit of file browser.
Last edited by TsunamiZ on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: REQ: "Picture walking" mode...

Post by xnview »

TsunamiZ wrote:Any chance XnView can add a feature to "walk" pictures [i.e. browse all images from a folder in a horizontal scroll mode]. Similar to this program:

This is really good for browsing a lot of pictures very fast, in a non-linear fashion!
Perhaps it's the film strip mode of xnview!
Pierre.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

xnview wrote:
TsunamiZ wrote:Any chance XnView can add a feature to "walk" pictures [i.e. browse all images from a folder in a horizontal scroll mode]. Similar to this program:

Does it exist, yet?!
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:

No, it's some transition effect, could be added to xnview's transition effects. ;)

With the hotkey (T) it could be used anytime - more here.

TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

It's not an "effect". It's a feature that allows users to drag scroll a directory of pictures for very fast image viewing. It even has a fullscreen mode that hides all GUI and can fit large images to the screen while drag browsing. If anyone want to give that free program a try, it's well worth it! And you'll see what I mean. :D
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

TsunamiZ wrote:It's not an "effect". It's a feature that allows users to drag scroll a directory of pictures for very fast image viewing. It even has a fullscreen mode that hides all GUI and can fit large images to the screen while drag browsing. If anyone want to give that free program a try, it's well worth it! And you'll see what I mean. :D
I know what you mean now, there is similar layout in xnview, but it doesn't work like that.

I support this request, but also as transition effect, in slide show it would be nice. :)
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Yeah! I'm using that PicWalker program for viewing my large picture collections. Saves A LOT of time, and makes it a very nice non-linear experience. I can jump to any picture for instant viewing in a snap! Would be great if XnView can do the same, and maybe even improve upon it. :D
Clo
XnThusiast

Already...

Post by Clo »

:arrow: TsunamiZ

:) Hello !

- I've already suggested such a feature as an "auto-scroll" for the film strip layout a long while ago… unsuccessfully. I guess you might find out it via the Search (if it's well humoured…)

- So, I support the request, of course, even whether this must be postponed to a later…later… version ;) (before my death, though…)

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
TsunamiZ

Re: Already...

Post by TsunamiZ »

Just to be clear: This is not an "auto" scroll. This is DRAG scroll that allows the user to drag scroll dynamically to any picture in a directory.

Yeah, hopefully we can make use of such a great feature soon! :D
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

xnview wrote:

Problem with the strip of images mode is that it can't support an unlimited number of images [otherwise it stops working]. And a large folder of images takes a long time to create. It would be nice if this was a view mode [i.e. have right click menu option to view this directory as strip of images], and only load / cache a certain number of images on-screen at a time. And with a scroll bar option, be able to display the images requested at the scroll bar location. This feature would be a great help in saving a lot of time when browsing large number of images in a non-linear fashion. Thanks.

BTW: Images should be selectable and deletable in strip of images mode. And double clicked images [while on display in strip of images] should be centered on screen. So this mode is a blend between view and a bit of file browser.
Last edited by TsunamiZ on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Updated first post with new info.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Would like to have unlimited number of images support in film strip mode. Thanks.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

XnView author:

I strongly suggest you try out PicWalker [ http://www.oma-penny.com/software.php ] to emulate it's great workflow possibilities in film strip mode! Anyone who wants to view a lot of images quickly will want to work like that. Thanks.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

TsunamiZ wrote:XnView author:

I strongly suggest you try out PicWalker [ http://www.oma-penny.com/software.php ] to emulate it's great workflow possibilities in film strip mode! Anyone who wants to view a lot of images quickly will want to work like that. Thanks.
Yes, i'll test it, but currently have too much work...
Pierre.
TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Cool. You will love it too. I promise. :mrgreen: