Suggestion: Corrupt image indicator ?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Suggestion: Corrupt image indicator ?

Post by Guest »

Having a big picture collections it would be nice to have somekinda corrupt image indicator that helps to locate them (and getting rid of them). Hunting corrupt images manually isn't nice.. :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Suggestion: Corrupt image indicator ?

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:Having a big picture collections it would be nice to have somekinda corrupt image indicator that helps to locate them (and getting rid of them). Hunting corrupt images manually isn't nice.. :)
On the thumbnail?
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

On the thumbnail?
That would be excellent!

Also, if possible, some method of automatically rescuing the uncorrupted portion of the image to a new file would be great.

Typically what happens to me is that the thumbnail looks good but the image behind it is not "all there"...
John

Post by Guest »

On the thumbnail?
I was thinking "ERR" -icon (red ?) in info icons (EXIF/IPTC/Shortcut/ERR).
And this should probably be a suboption for "Ignore read errors"..
But these are only my opinions.. :)

(Ah missed in my first post to say thanks for great program.. :))
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote:Typically what happens to me is that the thumbnail looks good but the image behind it is not "all there"...
But here if you use embedded thumb, i can't detect if the file is full...
Pierre.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

Anonymous wrote:Having a big picture collections it would be nice to have somekinda corrupt image indicator that helps to locate them (and getting rid of them). Hunting corrupt images manually isn't nice.. :)
Perhaps a different colour highlight for filename could serve that purpose (bright red)? It would need to effect more than thumbnails I think.
Past suggestions related to images with errors:
Error filter.
Inverse filter. to temporarily show what is not being displayed.
(it would include error images, but not limited to them)
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

When you enter a directory in Browser mode (View as Thumbnails), XnView displays the images' file-type icons before generating the actual thumbnails. If a corrupted file or a CorelDraw/PostScript file without an embedded thumbnail is encountered, the file gets dismissed from the list and the user will never know that something's wrong. (Dunno how Ignore read errors* fits in.)

I see two possible solutions:
  1. Display the image's file-type icon
  2. Display a generic “broken file” icon
*Tools » Options... » General » Read/Write » General » Ignore read errors
Xyzzy ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4941]Options' descriptions for 1.82[/url]) wrote:Ignore read errors - Read errors during reading image are silently ignored. Damaged or truncated files are displayed, if XnView is able to render them.
stormy1777

Post by stormy1777 »

I think this should be a special case. you start a SCAN, and you get a list of all bad files.. repairing is a whole world of itself.. not sure if xnview should get into this.. there are very good tools to repair images.. but to maintain the photo collection.. it's critical to be able to scan all images every year and figure if everything is OK.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

+1
Dreamer