Viewing files in Windows of Explorer

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Viewing files in Windows of Explorer

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Hi,

I've been using the ACDSee program since I've my computer, but now I want a real good freeware viewer, but the problem is that I don't want to right click on every file that I want to open on XnView, so why not implement this feature like ACDSee, IrfanView, and lot of others programs?

I will use the IrfanView while this feature isn't implemented...

I love this program, but...

Thanks and keep the great work :wink:
Last edited by VaMPiRiC_CRoW on Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
helmut

Post by helmut »

I assume that you mean that a preview of the image should appear in the context menu which appears when right clicking on a file in Explorer. Right?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Viewing files in context menu of Explorer

Post by xnview »

Hi,
VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote: I've been using the ACDSee program since I've my computer, but now I want a real good freeware viewer, but the problem is that I don't want to right click on every file that I want to open on XnView, so why not implement this feature like ACDSee, IrfanView, and lot of others programs?
A context menu for Explorer will be soon available!
Pierre.
crazytb

Post by crazytb »

xnview wrote:A context menu for Explorer will be soon available!
Pierre.
Will this have a thumbnail of image (as PicaView)? I think this will be a bit difficult to implement, but would be VERY COOL! PicaView is very useful, very handy. If XnView could do the same thing, wow, that would be very good.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

crazytb wrote:Will this have a thumbnail of image (as PicaView)? I think this will be a bit difficult to implement, but will be VERY COOL! PicaView is very useful, very handy. If XnView can do the same thing, wow, that will be very good.
Yes, with a thumbnail =;-)
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Unfortunately, this problem continues :(

When this will be fixed?

Thanks
helmut

Post by helmut »

VaMPiRiC_CRoW et al,
VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:Unfortunately, this problem continues

When this will be fixed?
good that you're asking, again. I don't know exactly in which version it had been introduced, but the thumbnail in context menu is available and working for a couple of versions, now.

I think you have to install XnView using the setup package (not ZIP archive) to make this work.
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Hi helmut,

I'm talking about the associates files to the XnView and when I click on that files in the Windows Explorer, they open in XnView!

This doesn't happen, unfortunatly... :(

With ACDsee works very well...
ijustdiscoveredthiswonder

Post by ijustdiscoveredthiswonder »

helmut wrote:VaMPiRiC_CRoW et al,
VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:Unfortunately, this problem continues

When this will be fixed?
good that you're asking, again. I don't know exactly in which version it had been introduced, but the thumbnail in context menu is available and working for a couple of versions, now.

I think you have to install XnView using the setup package (not ZIP archive) to make this work.
i wasn't aware of that feature...cute! i tried also installing from the installer but i don't have suche feature, also watching the changelog i connot find when it was introduced..can you tell me if you have a xnview registry key under the tree "hkey_classes_root\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers" and what is its value?

you should find a value similar to (this is an example value):
"{68f32140-2ca3-11d0-acc1-444553540000}"

based on the example you should have also another key under the tree "hkey_classes_root\clsid\{68f32140-2ca3-11d0-acc1-444553540000}\InProcServer32"

if you can tell me this value also i can fix by myself.

thank you! :)
helmut

Post by helmut »

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:Hi helmut,

I'm talking about the associates files to the XnView and when I click on that files in the Windows Explorer, they open in XnView!

Before solving your problem, we actually have to understand it. To be honest I still didn't get what you want, this is why you keep getting wrong answers. Please explain a bit more (Left click, Right click, Double click, Windows version, ...).
Last edited by helmut on Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
helmut

Post by helmut »

ijustdiscoveredthiswonder wrote:i wasn't aware of that feature...cute! i tried also installing from the installer but i don't have suche feature, also watching the changelog i connot find when it was introduced..can you tell me if you have a xnview registry key under the tree "hkey_classes_root\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers" and what is its value?
Sorry, I was completely wrong: When looking at the registry keys I found that the Shell Extension (Thumbnail in context menu) is available in XnView DeLuxe (commercial version), only.

For all I know in XnView (freeware) it is not available, yet. Perhaps Pierre can give a definite answer.

But there is SageThumbs of Nikolay Raspopov, see SageThumbs - Thumbnail image shell extension.
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

I will try to explain the best I can:

In the options of ACDSee, IrfanView, and in the other programs to see images, I can associate files to open them in Windows Explorer when you double left click in that files.

I want to have this feature in XnView!

Did you understand now what I mean?

helmut wrote:But there is SageThumbs of Nikolay Raspopov, see SageThumbs - Thumbnail image shell extension.
thanks for the hint i will try it immediately ;)

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:I will try to explain the best I can:

In the options of ACDSee, IrfanView, and in the other programs to see images, I can associate files to open them in Windows Explorer when you double left click in that files.

I want to have this feature in XnView!

Did you understand now what I mean?
helmut wrote:
VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:Hi helmut,

Before solving your problem, we actually have to understand it. To be honest I still didn't get what you want, this is why you keep getting wrong answers. Please explain a bit more (Left click, Right click, Double click, Windows version, ...).
xnview already have it! open the options dialog and the last section "associations" is what you are looking for.
whenever you change selections, xnview set associations into windows explorer...but be aware! if you have another application that use them it is most likely that such application check at startup the associations and don't let other applications get them!

if you are using acdsee, you must disable that "associations check" (or better unselect any association) into acdsee, otherwise associations will always be overwritten by acdsee.
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

I know that and I already did that but didn't work :(

I think that this could be a bug.
ijustdiscoveredthiswonder wrote: xnview already have it! open the options dialog and the last section "associations" is what you are looking for.
whenever you change selections, xnview set associations into windows explorer...but be aware! if you have another application that use them it is most likely that such application check at startup the associations and don't let other applications get them!

if you are using acdsee, you must disable that "associations check" (or better unselect any association) into acdsee, otherwise associations will always be overwritten by acdsee.
WinXP Pro SP2 (1400x1050 103 dpi) | NTFS