IPTC input manipulates the save-status of the picture

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

jens116

IPTC input manipulates the save-status of the picture

Post by jens116 »

If you edit IPTC data in the view or fullscreen mode (not browser mode) you are forced to save the whole picture newly when changing to the next picture.

Here still another ergonomic aspect to IPTC dialog: After first tapping on the Tab key the cursor should stand on the input field for IPTC caption.
marsh
XnThusiast

Re: IPTC input manipulates the save-status of the picture

Post by marsh »

jens116 wrote:If you edit IPTC data in the view or fullscreen mode (not browser mode) you are forced to save the whole picture newly when changing to the next picture.
Confirmed.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jens116 wrote:If you edit IPTC data in the view or fullscreen mode (not browser mode) you are forced to save the whole picture newly when changing to the next picture.
It's normal, editing IPTC in view mode doesn't change original file...
Pierre.
jens116

Post by jens116 »

xnview wrote:It's normal, editing IPTC in view mode doesn't change original file...
What you say is right, but what version 1.822 does is wrong, it wants to change the original file.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jens116 wrote:
xnview wrote:It's normal, editing IPTC in view mode doesn't change original file...
What you say is right, but what version 1.822 does is wrong, it wants to change the original file.
Sorry??? When you edit iptc in view mode, the original file is changed???
Pierre.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

Function is lossless in browser, but requires saving in viewer.
With v.1.80.3, <ctrl +i> + write caption seems losslsess in both.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

marsh wrote:With v.1.80.3, <ctrl +i> + write caption seems losslsess in both.
Yes but not normal...
Pierre.
jens116

Post by jens116 »

Here is an example. Say your XnView quality default for writing JPG pictures ist 10 %. Now take a JPG picture which quality is 100 %. Edit the IPTC data in the view mode. Now close the picture by clicking on [X]. In this moment you are forced to save the picture - you say yes. If you now reload the picture you will see that the pictures quality has changed to 10 % although you only entended to edit the IPTC data.

Version 1.803 did not have this problem.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jens116 wrote:
Here is an example. Say your XnView quality default for writing JPG pictures ist 10 %. Now take a JPG picture which quality is 100 %. Edit the IPTC data in the view mode. Now close the picture by clicking on [X]. In this moment you are forced to save the picture - you say yes. If you now reload the picture you will see that the pictures quality has changed to 10 % although you only entended to edit the IPTC data.

Version 1.803 did not have this problem.
You SAVE the picture, so the quality is changed. You must edit it in browser mode to do that in lossless mode...
Pierre.
jens116

Post by jens116 »

xnview wrote:You SAVE the picture, so the quality is changed. You must edit it in browser mode to do that in lossless mode...
Why only browser mode? The IPTC edit should work in any display mode with lossless saving of the picture. This is my opinion.

The things I described in my example above can happen to anybody!
iop

Post by iop »

I've got the same problem. In older xnview versions it was possible to change or create IPTC-Data in every mode without new saving. I ever used to change the IPTC-Data in view mode. I want to see the picture.....

Bye
iop
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

iop wrote:I've got the same problem. In older xnview versions it was possible to change or create IPTC-Data in every mode without new saving. I ever used to change the IPTC-Data in view mode. I want to see the picture.....
So who want lossless IPTC editing even in view mode?
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

xnview wrote:
iop wrote:I've got the same problem. In older xnview versions it was possible to change or create IPTC-Data in every mode without new saving. I ever used to change the IPTC-Data in view mode. I want to see the picture.....
So who want lossless IPTC editing even in view mode?
No feedback about IPTC editing in view mode??
Pierre.
jens116

Post by jens116 »

xnview wrote:No feedback about IPTC editing in view mode??
I am still urgently interested in the fact that this problem is solved. Everyone who works with IPTC must have the described difficulty, therefore I am surprised at the small resonance.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jens116 wrote:
xnview wrote:No feedback about IPTC editing in view mode??
I am still urgently interested in the fact that this problem is solved. Everyone who works with IPTC must have the described difficulty, therefore I am surprised at the small resonance.
Perhaps because many users use IPTC editing from the browser...
Pierre.