Crop improvement ?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Sebxoii

Crop improvement ?

Post by Sebxoii »

Hi everyone,

Would it be possible to slightly improve the crop by shading the area outside the selection ?

To give more sense to what I'm asking, here's a screenshot from Photoshop :
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/52/crop9vp.jpg

Then, I don't find the crop really intuitive to use : I think it would be better to add a "real fonction" crop, and not only selection then crop. ( I admit I struggled quite a long time to understand how the crop works :mrgreen: ). I mean, we could use the crop button in the toolbar to change the "selection cursor" into a "crop cursor" that would shade the image around the selection...

Thanks in advance.

Yours, Sébastien.
Clo
XnThusiast

I could support---

Post by Clo »

:) Hello ! Welcome aboard as a Member !

• This could be useful in many cases, hence I support that suggestion.
- However, it might be optional, I guess…
…I admit I struggled quite a long time to understand how the crop works :mrgreen:
- It's strongly recommended to give a glance on that page, and on the rest of the Manual when you don't get something ;)

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Sebxoii

Re: I could support---

Post by Sebxoii »

Clo wrote:- It's strongly recommended to give a glance on that page, and on the rest of the Manual when you don't get something ;)
Did I say I didn't succeed ? :D

I find it more rewarding to solve my problems without the help. 8)

Joking apart, thanks for the link :wink:
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I support this request!
Dreamer
helmut

Post by helmut »

Support from my side, too.

Until now, XnView doesn't use modes much. There's the colour info mode but nothing else. Modes can be confusing and limiting, if it's not obvious which mode you are in and you cannot change modes quickly. But if implemented well, modes can offer much better user support.

A cropping mode might offer:
- Outer area could be darkened
- Extra grid lines (e.g. golden section, center)
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

XnTriq ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=11571]Cropping mask[/url]) wrote:
Olivier_G wrote:Updated proposal: Show standard sizes for selected ratio with color indicators (+real dpi)
Click to see full image (57KB)

Once a ratio is chosen, the user would freely define selection's size and get feedback on quality, based on real output dpi. Those dpi would depend on selection size in pixels and output size: XnView would show several standard output sizes for the selected ratio.
Quality range colors could be: >300dpi = Very good; 240->300dpi = Good; 180->240dpi = Acceptable; <180dpi = Poor
FlorianH wrote:As mentioned by Dreamer, using lossless crop for jpegs is very difficult, because of the multiple of 8/16 pixels problem. I think it would be a good solution to have a switch to overlay the parameters of the current selection.

The text fields for left, top, width and height could have red background when the values are not multiple of 8/16 pixels. Another feature i would like is a 8/16-pixel grid (visible or not) where the mouse snaps when making a selection. And dimming the parts of the image which are outside the selection (like in screenshot above) would be usefull to better decide if the selection looks good (as new cropped image) or not.
Clo wrote:• I guess that a simple addition in the Edit menu —> Set Selection size could do the trick, both for that you wish to define the mask and to use this saved mask too for a semi-auto handling like below :

——— Image ——— Image

• Hoping it's self-explanatory… :)
Sebxoii wrote:Would it be possible to slightly improve the crop by shading the area outside the selection ?

To give more sense to what I'm asking, here's a screenshot from Photoshop :
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Perhaps there could be also small zoomed window while cropping - as in Hypersnap, it would be very useful for accurate cropping without annoying zooming in and out...
Dreamer
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

DEfusion.org.uk » Demo » Prototype JavaScript Image Cropper UI :!:
earthshaker

Post by earthshaker »

This crop mask would be a real boon for XNview users, I have only used XN view fro a couple of months, but it beats other similar programs by leaps and bounds, here is my vote!
HandsOff!

Re: I could support---

Post by HandsOff! »

Clo wrote:
…I admit I struggled quite a long time to understand how the crop works :mrgreen:
- It's strongly recommended to give a glance on that page, and on the rest of the Manual when you don't get something ;)

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo

-LOL, but first I'll have to brush up on my French!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, I am currently using v1.92. I admit I can never find how to enter the select mode so that I can use the crop function. Oh, I've done it once or twice, but at the moment I can not duplicate the feat.

I'm going to be looking of course, and I am a long time user of this great viewer, so let me second the suggestion of a selection tool button on the tool bar, or at least something in the edit menu! (I realize there is crop in the edit menu when you already have the selection tool, but getting the tool remains the puzzle.

It is really important for a lot of people, myself included, to be able to quickly crop pictures downloaded from my DSLR. The pictures take up a huge amount of disk space!

Alternatively, maybe someone would comment on how to get the select tool and perform the cropping procedure.

Also, that might be an answer for the FAQ. Even if people don't ask, I'm pretty sure they wish they had at some point!

-HandsOff!
Clo
XnThusiast

OUPS !

Post by Clo »

:arrow: HandsOff!

:) Hello !

• OUPS ! Image Sorry for that unintentional bad joke. The English doc IS THERE.

• Back to the topic :   I brought my contribution a while ago, like XnTriq shows above,
and indeed I'ld be glad to hear what the users having that kind of needs are thinking about it… :wink:

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
painbunny

Post by painbunny »

I was also wondering if the lossless jpeg crop could be improved a bit. I know it requires certain amount of pixels to be cropped but you can never tell what the selection you've made actually takes away.

Most of the time I'm trying to loose as little as possible from the edges of the image and I have to do it several times just to get ANY cropping.
HandsOff!

Thanks for the link, CLO, & Good idea, Sebxoii, imho!

Post by HandsOff! »

CLO, thanks for the link to the help manual. I have no problems with bad jokes in any language - Keep them coming!

Also, I hadn't mean to ignore your help. I have had some really persistent problems logging in, and that has been fixed :P

I now understand how to set the selections. It was a conceptual leap for me because I had never really understood how to switch back and forth between different modes for browsing and organizing, viewing, editing, and exporting to my default editor, Photoshop.

CLO, I don't know what you mean in your signature - "on selective strike." I wonder if it is just a coincidence that no one has responded to my most recently created post. LOL - I had better go to that manual!!

-HandsOff!
Clo
XnThusiast

Loooong story…

Post by Clo »

:arrow: HandsOff!

:) Hello !

• Glad to hear the Manual could help you !
…CLO, I don't know what you mean in your signature …
• Please, check your PMs, and you'll know (roughly) :P

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Dstruct

Re: Crop improvement ?

Post by Dstruct »

Sebxoii wrote:To give more sense to what I'm asking, here's a screenshot from Photoshop :
Would love this too!

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=61928#61928