Batch convert, Sequence convert, Batch rename... just 1?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Batch convert, Sequence convert, Batch rename... just 1?

Post by Olivier_G »

Background: Batch convert, Batch rename and Screenshot of all panels.
The idea: How to merge Batch convert / Sequence convert / Batch rename into an elegant and efficient single tool...

I know the solution is somewhere... we just have to find it... :mrgreen:
Comments & ideas are welcome, as usual.
Olivier
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

We have 3 elements in the workflow:
- Input (+how to organize those items)
- Transformations
- Output

Input
- Add item(s), Add folder(+option for subfolders), Remove item(s), Remove all
- 'Sort by' presets +Order items individually (drag&drop is best, arrows is ok)
- Preview
- Automatically remove file duplicates (same path+name)
- Undo previous action
('Sequence convert' had filtering on format and name, but with 'Sort' you can easily identify and limit items...)

Output (should be close to Input, for verification/comparison)
- Directory output +option to keep subdirectories structure (starting from first common node of all listed items)
- Format (+Options button)
- Overwrite /Delete originals /Suppress read errors /Keep original date&time attributes
- Name template (+replace: numeric enumerators start/step, case, replace, extension... with syntax in the name template instead?)
- Show old name, new name, old directory, new directory

=> I'll try to provide a screenshot soon.

Note: Transformations is quite independant and will be discussed later on.
Olivier
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Automated tasks?
John
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

So here is a first draft (I kept the same window size, but it could be enlarged - not above 600 in heigth, though...):

Rename group is simplified a bit:
- +/- is for adding/removing selected template
- 'Numeric enumerator' and 'Duplicates' should be handled directly in the editable box ( <#[start;step]> and this topic) while <Upper()> & <Lower()> can replace 'Case' and Extension should be managed there as well.
- In 'Replace with', Case used in 'With' box should be applied exactly.
- I added 'Recent folders' (should include 'original path' on top) and Favorites for 'Output directory'

Your opinions?
(maybe a third column 'Output folder' should be added in the list for verification)

JohnFredC wrote:Automated tasks?
I suppose you are suggesting a better name (or maybe complete different solution)? I think the solution described above is still more about 'Batch' than 'Automated tasks', though...
Olivier
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi Olivier...

I was just suggesting a better name.
John

Post by Guest »

I would like to suggest one addition to this module: the possibility to create/rename the destination folder with a folder name with name templates, just like those proposed here for the file name.

This would be useful for importing pictures from memory cards into folders based on various parameters, such as date, iso, lens or other information from the exif.

The possibility to save import presets would also be useful
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

I would like to have more feedback about this Batch/Sequence/Rename unification.
Do you think this draft would work? Do you see more improvements?

In the short term (ie: v1.90), I think 'Sequence convert' should be removed.
Olivier
lord0815

Post by lord0815 »

Hi!

Why you dont just include the Rename Process as an transformation option?
There you can define the way to rename the files.

# as placeholder for the number

## two numbers
### three numbers and so on

and an option to give the startnumber and maybe the steps.

it should look like

photo_###_small

Should look like this

Just an idea?!

bye and thanks for this great tool :)
marcrienzo

Post by marcrienzo »

this all looks great... please make it so you can set up a "true" batch rename though. meaning renaming multiple sets of images in different directories just like you can currently batch convert frames from different locations.
nightflyer

Post by nightflyer »

Good ideas here!
Batch convert and sequence convert differ only in way the input names are defined, so they are almost identical.
Batch rename adds a step to define output names, if we add option for no conversion, we get pure rename.
Really good ideas, worth including in the nearest version.
-=nightflyer=-
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Some more feedback from me... :D
Anonymous wrote:The possibility to create/rename the destination folder with a folder name with name templates, just like those proposed here for the file name.
The possibility to save import presets would also be useful.
I believe all this is already available (ie: by using the "" character directly in filename template). I agree this is very useful!
lord0815 wrote:Why you dont just include the Rename Process as a transformation option?
This idea is interesting. It may be better to keep 'Rename' separated from 'transformations' as some people may find it less obvious for simple renaming... but I don't oppose this idea. More opinions?
nightflyer wrote:Good ideas here! Batch rename adds a step to define output names, if we add option for no conversion, we get pure rename.
Thanks! In light of the previous comment, I wonder about putting 'Conversion' and 'Rename' as Transformations? :?:
Olivier
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

Olivier_G wrote:I believe all this is already available (ie: by using the "" character directly in filename template). I agree this is very useful!
At least in 1.90b2 \ does not work. \ and .. and . would offer several sophisticated move and copy possibilities (that I use in Servant Salamander on a regular basis). See http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=39678#39678 also.
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

I agree with Oliver, the screenshot looks good, but we must not forget that one might just want to rename files, or convert them, or whatever, so there should be a way to use just one feature, because for example, I don't want my Jpeg to be "re encoded" when I just want to rename them ;)
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
lord0815

Post by lord0815 »

Okay, so just let us control the functions with an select field :)

Convert & Rename
Convert
Rename

:)

The features which are note selected should be greyed out...

Just an idea!
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Olivier, sorry for (more than one year) late reply. :wink:

I didn't like this idea, because I didn't want to lose the current behavior - select files+F2/Ctrl+U and I thought it would be confusing... But with these suggestions it would be the same, better and even clearer IMO:

Single dialog for Batch convert / Sequence convert / Batch rename with the following tabs:

Input/Output | Transformations * | Batch Rename

or

Input | Transformations* | Batch Rename | Output

* from Batch Convert dialog, second tab
Perhaps another tab for Sequence Convert if needed, but I think it's not necessary.

Use existing keyboard shortcuts for Batch Convert and Batch Rename (perhaps change the shortcut Ctrl+U later) but open the appropriate tab:

- select the files in browser and press F2
> automatically add the selected files to Input tab and open Batch Rename tab

- select the files in browser and press Ctrl+U (or use a menu)
> automatically add the selected files to Input tab and open Transformations tab

- Batch Convert menu item / Ctrl+U shortcut
> open Input tab

- Batch Rename menu item
> open Input tab

I suggest also the new keyboard shortcut, perhaps we could preserve also Ctrl+U, but I don't like this shortcut. It's not meaningful, not handy, hard accessible by one hand... Perhaps if we'd change the name from Batch Convert to Batch Processing (as suggested here), we could use Shift+P. Because this would be BATCH convert/processing/rename, Ctrl+B would be also a good shortcut, but not so easy accessible and it's reserved, but only in Viewer - for "Browse" - not so important option, I think.

Another shortcut - if more than one file is selected in browser, use Ctrl+S to add the selected files to batch processing input list and open the Transformations tab. This would be just an additional shortcut, the same as F2 for Batch Rename.

Another way to make it clearer might be changing, or renaming the tab captions, perhaps we could use "*", e.g.:

Input/Output* - if the format will be changed, or if the file(s) will be replaced/deleted
Transformations* - if at least one option will be used
Batch Rename* - if the files will be renamed

Edit:

I suggest also to preserve both menu items - Batch Convert (or Processing) and Batch Rename, because it would be confusing for some users, both should open appropriate tab.
Dreamer