More enhancements about tags

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Nelson

More enhancements about tags

Post by Nelson »

The "tag" function is useful. :D But I think it could be better.
  1. Bigger tag box. The box is too small to be checked easily.
  2. Hotkey to tag/untag. Because of the small tag box, a hotkey to tag/untag would be useful.
  3. Show all tagged files. Maybe you can add an item in the drop-down filter menu to show all tagged files, then users can easily to view/edit/untag the files they tagged.
Anika

Re: More enhancements about tags

Post by Anika »

Nelson wrote:1. Bigger tag box. The box is too small to be checked easily.[/url]
look this thread: Tags: Position
Nelson wrote:2. Hotkey to tag/untag. Because of the small tag box, a hotkey to tag/untag would be useful.
look this thread: Tags: Menu items
Nelson wrote: 3. Show all tagged files. Maybe you can add an item in the drop-down filter menu to show all tagged files, then users can easily to view/edit/untag the files they tagged.
To handle the tagged files it would be useful to filter, search and sort by tag.
XnView 2.04, 2.13 Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 64bit
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Anika wrote:
Nelson wrote:1. Bigger tag box. The box is too small to be checked easily.
look this thread: Tags: Position
I'm discussing about the box size, but the thread discusses about the position.
I think they are different.
Anika wrote:
Nelson wrote:2. Hotkey to tag/untag. Because of the small tag box, a hotkey to tag/untag would be useful.
look this thread: Tags: Menu items
Pity, the hotkey T can't work now :(
Anika wrote:
Nelson wrote: 3. Show all tagged files. Maybe you can add an item in the drop-down filter menu to show all tagged files, then users can easily to view/edit/untag the files they tagged.
To handle the tagged files it would be useful to filter, search and sort by tag.

And there is one more thing that needs to be noticed.
After you tag some files, the rename (and copy, and move, and maybe etc.) operation works for the tagged files, not for the selected files.

I think there are two drawbacks about this situation.
  1. Some users may not notice that and make wrong operation. For example, they rename the tagged files, but they would like to rename the selected files instead. :?
  2. Some users (like me) don't know these operations have different behaviors when they tag files, and then they don't know what they can do when they tag some files. :wink:
Any good idea?
Anika

Post by Anika »

2. tag/untag
I just noticed that the space key has the tag/untag function. Ctrl+R untags all files. What should happen if some of the selected files are tagged and some are not? By now with the space key the tagging is inverted. The menu point "Tag current (T)" tags all selected files (while T does not work yet).
After you tag some files, the rename (and copy, and move, and maybe etc.) operation works for the tagged files, not for the selected files.
As far as I tested the tag function:
The behaviour is the same as if I select files whith right click in my file manager WinNC.net. The tagging fixes the selection. As soon as at least one file is tagged all actions refer to the tagged file(s). The selection by mouse (blue background) has only effect for tagging.

From this state of information there is no need/possibility to search by tag.

Any good idea? The feature has to be explained in the help and WhatsNew.
XnView 2.04, 2.13 Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 64bit
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Nelson wrote: And there is one more thing that needs to be noticed.

I think there are two drawbacks about this situation.
  1. Some users may not notice that and make wrong operation. For example, they rename the tagged files, but they would like to rename the selected files instead. :?
  2. Some users (like me) don't know these operations have different behaviors when they tag files, and then they don't know what they can do when they tag some files. :wink:
Any good idea?
Yes, but it's the tag feature... If you have some tagged files, so i use them, else i use selected files (If tag sytem doesn't work like that, i don't see any advantage to tag files????)

Perhaps i can ask the user before any action? What do you think?
Pierre.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

xnview wrote: Yes, but it's the tag feature... If you have some tagged files, so i use them, else i use selected files (If tag sytem doesn't work like that, i don't see any advantage to tag files????)

Perhaps i can ask the user before any action? What do you think?
Maybe show a dialog to tell the user at the first time ?
Show a dialog to let them know they are working on the tagged files.
And user can choose "Don't show this dialog again".

Anyway, the tag function is useful.
But it would be better if there is a "Show all tagged/untagged files" function.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

In Beta 5:

1. Bigger tag box: There was a bug with tagbox check/uncheck which has been solved.
2. Hotkeys T/Space work.
3. Menu View>Filter by>tagged files works.
.. There is now a dialog to choose 'tagged files' or 'selected files' for operations.

-> closed
Olivier