Requests / sugestions

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

VuDu

Requests / sugestions

Post by VuDu »

In the options window, on the Fullscreen sections there's a setting called "use delayed high quality for pictures larger then (pixels) (browser only, also affects preview).
It's about the browser, so isn't it in the wrong section?
And by the way would it be possible to add a similar option to fullscreen and view mode, when using "high zoom quality" it should be possible to chose to display the picture at normal speed and only after it should show the high quality version, like when we're loading a progressive image on a browser :) I think option is avaliable on other software of this kind. :)

Another thing, I realised that when a picture is loading you can see a "Press ESC to abort" I think it'd be great if it answered to "next" and "previous" file operations, that way we shouldn't have to wait a picture to fully load to go to the next one, cause xnview seems to hand for some 10ths of a second when we rapidly change pictures.
These 2 features would be great, cause it'd improve the viewmode navigation. Sometimes I want to go 10pics ahead, but then I always end uo quiting the view/fullscren mode and search it's thumbnail on the browser. :(

Ane last thing, will it be possible to edit EXIF data on a later release? Pierre talked about that after the 1.82.4 was released and I sure miss that feature!
It should be avaliable for batch jobs too, cause it'd be great to fix data like "date taken" when later realised the date was set to 2000 after running out of batteries ;)

EDIT: Sorry for posting in this section, probably not the best place to fit the topic :(
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

50 views but no feedback? :(
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Re: Requests / sugestions

Post by Olivier_G »

VuDu wrote:In the options window, on the Fullscreen sections there's a setting called "use delayed high quality for pictures larger then (pixels) (browser only, also affects preview). It's about the browser, so isn't it in the wrong section?
This settings apply to Browser Preview and Browser fullscreen (aka: Fullscreen lite). So it's more or less in the right place... :?
And by the way would it be possible to add a similar option to fullscreen and view mode
I agree that 'Delayed' should be placed near 'HQ' options (with 1 setting for Preview and 1 Setting for all View/Fullscreen modes... or perhaps even only 1 setting for all).
I realised that when a picture is loading you can see a "Press ESC to abort" I think it'd be great if it answered to "next" and "previous" file operations, that way we shouldn't have to wait a picture to fully load to go to the next one, cause xnview seems to hand for some 10ths of a second when we rapidly change pictures.
This loading issue has been improved with this 1.90 version. You can see this with Options>Browser>Uncheck 'High Quality' (which determines quality for Browser Fullscreen... :( ) -> immediate response.
=> There is probably a problem left with HQ display and unterruptible threads... :?
Olivier
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

Thanks, for you reply, but please Pierre, could you say something about those three points :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

VuDu wrote:Thanks, for you reply, but please Pierre, could you say something about those three points :)
Sorry, have not seen your post :-(
Olivier_G wrote:
VuDu wrote:In the options window, on the Fullscreen sections there's a setting called "use delayed high quality for pictures larger then (pixels) (browser only, also affects preview). It's about the browser, so isn't it in the wrong section?
This settings apply to Browser Preview and Browser fullscreen (aka: Fullscreen lite). So it's more or less in the right place... :?
And by the way would it be possible to add a similar option to fullscreen and view mode
I agree that 'Delayed' should be placed near 'HQ' options (with 1 setting for Preview and 1 Setting for all View/Fullscreen modes... or perhaps even only 1 setting for all).
I think that we must have only 1 setting for HQ, View/High zoom will be removed (perhaps not in 1.90)
I realised that when a picture is loading you can see a "Press ESC to abort" I think it'd be great if it answered to "next" and "previous" file operations, that way we shouldn't have to wait a picture to fully load to go to the next one, cause xnview seems to hand for some 10ths of a second when we rapidly change pictures.
This loading issue has been improved with this 1.90 version. You can see this with Options>Browser>Uncheck 'High Quality' (which determines quality for Browser Fullscreen... :( ) -> immediate response.
=> There is probably a problem left with HQ display and unterruptible threads... :?
You means in view mode?
Pierre.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

xnview wrote:
Olivier_G wrote:
VuDu wrote:cause xnview seems to hand for some 10ths of a second when we rapidly change pictures.
You means in view mode?
No, in Browser Fullscreen. There is still a small delay when quickly changing buffered pictures with HQ: it waits for full HQ display before switching to the other image.

Edit: doh... my 666th post!!! :twisted:
Olivier
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

what about the exif? any news?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

VuDu wrote: Ane last thing, will it be possible to edit EXIF data on a later release? Pierre talked about that after the 1.82.4 was released and I sure miss that feature!
It should be avaliable for batch jobs too, cause it'd be great to fix data like "date taken" when later realised the date was set to 2000 after running out of batteries ;)
Yes, i'll add a feature like 'change timestamp'
Pierre.
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

Yes please! :D
And if possible add it to the batch jobs too so that one can easily fix the dates on several images' metadata.
I have some albums here, with some txt's with the right time, waiting for a program to fix the images metadata ;)
GeorgD

Timestamp feature in 1.9a

Post by GeorgD »

This post is obsolete, as the RFE is DONE, see http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10367 and http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10707

Hej, as 1.9 alpha offers the timestamp feature I just miss one single thing: To be able to shift (so relative to existing date) the EXIF date in a convenient way. It comes handy when you traverse several time zones and just forget to alter the camera settings all the time. Darkness around 15:00 is not that convincing ;-) And yes, I can do this by writing EXIF +- time into file datestamp and then overwriting the EXIF by the (already modified) file datestamp - but that's not a good workflow. As all the functions are already there, why not giving the user full freedom like this:

DATE TO CHANGE:<fieldset>
checkboxes options
- Exif taken
- Exif digitized
- Exif modified
- file created
- file modified
</fieldset>

DATE TO USE<fieldset>
radiobutton options
- current
- manual <input>
- Exif taken
- Exif digitized
- Exif modified
- file created
- file modified
Shift date by
+- days hh:mm:ss
</fieldset>

I guess that showing all the options (so checkboxes instead of drop down) will make users aware of the possibilities AND offers to alter multiple times at once (eg EXIF modified and file modifid). Maybe there shall be some kind of error log afterwards, eg a list and when clicking OK all pics with errors (eg have no exif) are preselected so they can be moved to a different directory or changed in a second go or whatever.

/Georg
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Doh... I hate threads that deal with various issues and need to be compared to others at the same time... :(

I'll check Speed/Performance in Browser/Viewer in a new thread very soon.

'Change Timestamp' do most of what is suggested here (batch, change any field, with modifier).
The only thing remaining is the possibility to change several fields at the same time by using Checkboxes instead of Dropdown list. I'll add a link in the other thread instead.

No change for HQ/Delayed options:
- Delayed is for Browser Preview & Fullscreen only
- HQ for Browser Preview/Fullscreen is set in Options>Preview>Use HQ
- HQ in Viewer is set in Options>View
=> It is quite problematic and will make a new thread for this.

This thread can be closed.
Olivier