Background audio comments

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

avryabov

Background audio comments

Post by avryabov »

Many cameras have feature to add audio comment to picture.
For example: KM-X50 create PICT0006.WAV for the PICT0006.JPG file,
Canon S-80 create SND_0018.WAV for IMG_0018.JPG.
Can XnView play this files in background in slideshow?
Maybe, at least, with manual editing .sld file something like:

"PICT0006.JPG" /background-play:"PICT0006.WAV"
"IMG_0018.JPG" /background-play:"SND_0018.WAV"

And timeout on such pictures must be max(slide_show_timeout,length(audio_comment))

ACDSee do something like, but not very good.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Background audio comments

Post by xnview »

avryabov wrote:Many cameras have feature to add audio comment to picture.
For example: KM-X50 create PICT0006.WAV for the PICT0006.JPG file,
Canon S-80 create SND_0018.WAV for IMG_0018.JPG.
Can XnView play this files in background in slideshow?
Maybe, at least, with manual editing .sld file something like:

"PICT0006.JPG" /background-play:"PICT0006.WAV"
"IMG_0018.JPG" /background-play:"SND_0018.WAV"

And timeout on such pictures must be max(slide_show_timeout,length(audio_comment))

ACDSee do something like, but not very good.
Ok, perhaps a good feature, but for a future version
Pierre.
Lipsore

Post by Lipsore »

I've been looking all over for a slide show/image viewer that will play the audio files recorded with the photos.

I've got a Samsung Digimax i6 and it's naming convention is like this:
SSL20067.JPG
SSL20067.WAV

It keeps the same file name, just changes the extension.

Thanks for the great program.
Anika

finepix s9500 too

Post by Anika »

Lipsore wrote:It keeps the same file name, just changes the extension.
I support this suggestion: The same for my Fuji Finepix S9500.
XnView 2.04, 2.13 Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 64bit
Physitux

Post by Physitux »

Very good idea! So you can see the bird and hear it singing! Do you think there should be a loop-option or a repeat-sound-key?

It should be possible to set the name mask for the corresponding audio file, so that this feature can be used with all camera models. My Ricoh changes only the extension (.wav instead of .jpg).

It would be a great feature!
markg

Re: Canon

Post by markg »

I VOTE FOR THIS SUGGESTION. The "slide show" should play sound for the image if filenames for image and sound are identical (except extension). The "slide show" should show sound toolbar on top of the image. After sound play is completed the "slide show" should wait delay time and go to the next image.
murthy363

Re: Canon

Post by murthy363 »

markg wrote:I VOTE FOR THIS SUGGESTION. The "slide show" should play sound for the image if filenames for image and sound are identical (except extension). The "slide show" should show sound toolbar on top of the image. After sound play is completed the "slide show" should wait delay time and go to the next image.
I join all contributors to this thread in the proposal to request for this feature and wait for Pierre's providing the facility in an early revision as he has already commented on it's utility.

My Casio also has this facility of audio comment which will go with the same file name but with the extention WAV instead of MPG.

Thanks again to Pierre for XnView, a wonderful software with user driven features being added one by one.
I am a lazy person, always searching for ways to avoid work and still manage the show !

My System : Win XP SP2 + XnView standard English version
Max Monroe

Post by Max Monroe »

I fully support this request, I desperately need this feature myself. These days most cameras have this option to record sound with a photo; all my cameras had it, I used it a lot, and I'm having trouble playing the audio with the picture ever since (ACDSee had indeed some support for this).

What I'd like is an option to load and play the sound file with the same name as the image I'm viewing, be it by browsing or by slideshow. With movies this is exactly what happens - watch the image, listen to the sound; the photo image / sound pairs are just another version of doing that, when a movie is unnecessary and a photo is all that is required, but with some sound.

It is discouraging though that the original request is two years old... :(
Physitux

Post by Physitux »

It seems that this feature has now been added (http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pierre.g/xn ... story.html), but it doesn't work in version 1.95.4: The corresponding wave file is still played *after* the image, not simultaneously in the background. Is there an option to change this behaviour?
Max Monroe

Post by Max Monroe »

For me, in 1.95.4, the sound plays at the same time as the photo is displayed (in slideshow mode). It would be nice if it would also play in browse/view mode, but I suspect the intended behaviour was as it is now. Thanks, Pierre!
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnView supports companion files, see topic Configurable viewing exclusion, but for all I know the concept is not fully implemented, yet (e.g. behaviour on file deletion). Using the concept of companion files viewing, navigating, and deleting companion sound files could be configured and would be covered.

The only part missing is playing (companion) sound files when viewing an image.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Max Monroe wrote:For me, in 1.95.4, the sound plays at the same time as the photo is displayed (in slideshow mode). It would be nice if it would also play in browse/view mode, but I suspect the intended behaviour was as it is now. Thanks, Pierre!
Yes currently audio companion is only played in slideshow, but can be enhanced to play in browser too...
Pierre.
Physitux

Re: Background audio comments

Post by Physitux »

It works fine in slide show mode! Is it possible to activate this in the quick slide show mode or in browsing mode too?