Ratings: Sort order

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Ratings: Sort order

Post by helmut »

In alpha 2 there's the ratings have been introduced. Using View > Ratings the user can give each image a rating ranging from 1 ... 5.

I'm not sure whether I will use this feature, but I guess it is a good enhancement.

Currently, when using the sort order "Rating", the images are sorted as follows:

1. Images with no rating
2. Images with rating 1
6. Image with rating 5

From my point of view, images that are not rated at all have no "points"/score and rate even worse than 5. So I'd expect a sorting like this:

1. Images with rating 1
5. Image with rating 5
6. Images with no rating
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Ratings: Sort order

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:In alpha 2 there's the ratings have been introduced. Using View > Ratings the user can give each image a rating ranging from 1 ... 5.

I'm not sure whether I will use this feature, but I guess it is a good enhancement.

Currently, when using the sort order "Rating", the images are sorted as follows:

1. Images with no rating
2. Images with rating 1
6. Image with rating 5

From my point of view, images that are not rated at all have no "points"/score and rate even worse than 5. So I'd expect a sorting like this:

1. Images with rating 1
5. Image with rating 5
6. Images with no rating
But this sort is not 'ascending'!
Pierre.
helmut

Re: Ratings: Sort order

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:But this sort is not 'ascending'!
But it's what users would expect and what is useful. :-)

Note:
Alphabetic sorting versus numeric sorting was a similar issue and what users prefer and what we have now is pretty clear:
1_abc
22_xxx
2_def
3_def

vs.

1_abc
2_def
3_def
22_xxx
Troken

Post by Troken »

Are you two speaking of the same thing? Is 1=best and 5=worst in Germany/France, or is it the opposite? In Sweden, many classify 5 as the best and 1 as worst, due to an old grading-system at school. But I suspect that other countries may have it the other way round, which makes 1=best etc.

So numbers can become confusing :wink:.
Pierre, have you considered alternatives to colors and numbers?
An alternative example
Don't think anybody can mis-interpret this rating, but maybe it doesn't fit with thumbnails (as you can see, the image shows a list).
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

I like the current order. 0 to 5. 0 being unrated. 5 being highest. I think the cold to hot colour scale matches it perfectly. You cannot have ascending/descending order without this (as Pierre said).
helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:But this sort is not 'ascending'!
But it's what users would expect and what is useful. :-)
What user's often expect is other software though (instead of looking at feature according to its own merit). :(
Last edited by marsh on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

marsh wrote:I like the current order. 0 to 5. 0 being unrated. 5 being highest. I think the cold to hot colour scale matches it perfectly. You cannot have ascending/descending order without this (as Pierre said).
So every one agree with 1->Blue, 5->Red?
Pierre.
Maiger

Post by Maiger »

I think the numbers for rating should go from 1...5 like user 'marsh' said. I also like the example from user 'Trocken' with the 1 to 5 stars symbols. This gives you information without confusion. Also the color is a good indication which should go from red (bad) to green (good).

Why not using a symbol that combines all these three indicators.

Example:

Regards, Gerhard
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Maiger wrote:I think the numbers for rating should go from 1...5 like user 'marsh' said. I also like the example from user 'Trocken' with the 1 to 5 stars symbols. This gives you information without confusion. Also the color is a good indication which should go from red (bad) to green (good).

Why not using a symbol that combines all these three indicators.

Example:
A little wide, but will be better i think!
Pierre.
Maiger

Post by Maiger »

I reduced the size by 3 pixel.
Now it has the same size as the EXIF or IPTC symbol.

Regards, Gerhard
Troken

Post by Troken »

Maiger wrote:I reduced the size by 3 pixel.
I like that! Really smart colours, green = good, everyone knows that! Why didn't I think of it! :|

:wink:

It may be hard to see the numbers on a monitor with really high resolution, but the colours and the bar says it all.
helmut

Post by helmut »

At German schools scores range from 1 (very good) to 6 (not sufficient), this is probably why the current sorting looked wrong to me. Still I'd suggest to make "ascending sort" sort from best to worst, I think most people would want to see their best rated images at top.

Another option would be changing sort order from ascending to ascending when choosing "sort by rating", but I find think this would confuse things.

Gerhards score bar is really a very good idea which makes scoring very clear.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:At German schools scores range from 1 (very good) to 6 (not sufficient), this is probably why the current sorting looked wrong to me. Still I'd suggest to make "ascending sort" sort from best to worst, I think most people would want to see their best rated images at top.
I agree.
helmut wrote:Gerhards score bar is really a very good idea which makes scoring very clear.
Yes it's clear, but it doesn't look very good - and I'm not sure how it will be in higher resolutions...
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Troken wrote:
Maiger wrote:I reduced the size by 3 pixel.
I like that! Really smart colours, green = good, everyone knows that! Why didn't I think of it! :|

:wink:

It may be hard to see the numbers on a monitor with really high resolution, but the colours and the bar says it all.
But if i add labels as suggested by nightflyer http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=9498, rating icons will be without colors, a number or stars perhaps...
Pierre.
Maiger

Post by Maiger »

I think the color is very important.
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=36428#36428

If the numbers are too small and/or the symbols
are too wide, what's about this?

Regards, Gerhard
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I don't know... It will be always good for some, bad for others. Perhaps an option??

The same as above but vice versa bad ... good:

5 4 3 2 1

#3 / #4

The same as #1 and #2, but no colors.
Dreamer